Canon 60D problems.Noise and effective video

Haseeb Akbar

I am using canon 60D.but i am getting noise in daylight i am pretty much worried because my fellows shoot great videos with it and mine is giving this noise in daylight.i am usin 75-300 canon ,18-55 canon. and 50mm canon but noise is more in 50mm and 18-55 ,75-300 gives less of it.i shot samples while using 3 of these lenses and i found that when i screw in the cpl filter noise gets worst.please help me. settings are 200iso,fstop 5,and shutter double to that of frame rate

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am using canon 60D.but i am getting noise in daylight i am pretty much worried because my fellows shoot great videos with it and mine is giving this noise in daylight.i am usin 75-300 canon ,18-55 canon. and 50mm canon but noise is more in 50mm and 18-55 ,75-300 gives less of it.i shot samples while using 3 of these lenses and i found that when i screw in the cpl filter noise gets worst.please help me. settings are 200iso,fstop 5,and shutter double to that of frame rate

Could it be that you're shooting in the 720p 60fps mode? If so, do yourself a favour and turn it off / switch to 1080p 24fps. The 720p mode on any Canon is rubbish and the results will look very "noisy". Apart from that your camera settings look fine and there shouldn't be any visible noise at ISO 200, so I'm suspecting that the 720p mode is your problem. 

Also, reading the manual would have told you that when shooting video you need to use multiples of 160 for ISO.

Further, do not use their picture profiles, but if you have to use the Neutral one & turn down the Sharpening to 1 or 2 (would really recommend you buy VisionColor's canon picture profiles, they are the best & cheap).

Put the stable release of Magic Lantern on your camera too, it'll give you zebras, histograms & loads of other useful tools for shooting video.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Also, reading the manual would have told you that when shooting video you need to use multiples of 160 for ISO.

That would never be in the manual! But yes good advice, with Canon DSLRs always shoot with the multiplications of 160 ISO, and never go above 1600 with the 60D. 

-Pictureprofiles can affect your image enormously. Most important thing is to turn the contrast all the way down. This is a must. Also turn the sharpness all the way down, sharpening in-camera produces halos and electronic-y noisy image. Whenever I use a Canon DSLR I shoot CineStyle, that's just me though and I like that image. 

-Another point to keep in mind is: high ISO don't cause noise, under-exposure is what causes noise

If you shoot a very dark/underexposed image at 160 ISO it will have a ton of noise, and if you shoot the same scene at 1600 ISO where it's bright and well-exposed, you will not see noise. 
So use Exposure to the right- technique, which means set the exposure as high as you can go without clipping the highlights. 

-If you still don't like the noise: purchase Neat Video for your NLE. This thing does magic removing noise. I made noise-free 3200 ISO night-images with these canon dslrs with neat video!

-Open up your lens. The 50mm should be the cleanest lens you own by miles, not a variable aperture zoom. So use it at F/1.8 if you're shooting in low-light and don't want tons of noise. 

You'll get more help if you post a couple of frames from the footage so we can see it. Because this issue does not sound normal. 

u can check this out tell me if its suffiecient,or i will send another one

https://vimeo.com/91539013
incase u find problem viewing over here

Further, do not use their picture profiles, but if you have to use the Neutral one & turn down the Sharpening to 1 or 2 (would really recommend you buy VisionColor's canon picture profiles, they are the best & cheap).

Put the stable release of Magic Lantern on your camera too, it'll give you zebras, histograms & loads of other useful tools for shooting video.

i gave a hit to magic lantern on my 4gb transcend card,i think it was card's fault that magic lantern gave an error after a few  minutes of installation,when i restarted my camera the screen was blinking from sides,so i formatted the card and the next day camera was working fine, i now fear of the magic lantern thing actually :/ 

That would never be in the manual! But yes good advice, with Canon DSLRs always shoot with the multiplications of 160 ISO, and never go above 1600 with the 60D. 

-Pictureprofiles can affect your image enormously. Most important thing is to turn the contrast all the way down. This is a must. Also turn the sharpness all the way down, sharpening in-camera produces halos and electronic-y noisy image. Whenever I use a Canon DSLR I shoot CineStyle, that's just me though and I like that image. 

-Another point to keep in mind is: high ISO don't cause noise, under-exposure is what causes noise

If you shoot a very dark/underexposed image at 160 ISO it will have a ton of noise, and if you shoot the same scene at 1600 ISO where it's bright and well-exposed, you will not see noise. 
So use Exposure to the right- technique, which means set the exposure as high as you can go without clipping the highlights. 

-If you still don't like the noise: purchase Neat Video for your NLE. This thing does magic removing noise. I made noise-free 3200 ISO night-images with these canon dslrs with neat video!

-Open up your lens. The 50mm should be the cleanest lens you own by miles, not a variable aperture zoom. So use it at F/1.8 if you're shooting in low-light and don't want tons of noise. 

I matched videos shot by canon75-300 canon 50mm and the kit 18-55 there was less noise in 75-300 and it was about 2pm and bright daylight. plus i use cinestyle also

Could it be that you're shooting in the 720p 60fps mode? If so, do yourself a favour and turn it off / switch to 1080p 24fps. The 720p mode on any Canon is rubbish and the results will look very "noisy". Apart from that your camera settings look fine and there shouldn't be any visible noise at ISO 200, so I'm suspecting that the 720p mode is your problem. 

yeah it shoots rubbish at 50mm 1.8 even in 720 mode,but i am shootng in 1080 at 30fps

Just not sure what type of noise you're talking about when watching your clip - maybe vimeo compression isn't helping.

I would say don't use cinestyle cause it really ain't that great - neutral flattened is better.

With the 60D/H264 you need to get it as close to the finished look & only tweek it in post, because if you push it too much the footage will fall apart (ah, could this be your problem?).

Just not sure what type of noise you're talking about when watching your clip - maybe vimeo compression isn't helping.

I would say don't use cinestyle cause it really ain't that great - neutral flattened is better.

With the 60D/H264 you need to get it as close to the finished look & only tweek it in post, because if you push it too much the footage will fall apart (ah, could this be your problem?).

can u see the grain coming in the video in great amount ? m talking abut that 

can u see the grain coming in the video in great amount ? m talking abut that 

Quite frankly, no - do you mean the blotchy nature of it all?

I'm not saying its not there but with Vimeo compression, its all a blur.

You really need to shoot something longer than a few seconds & with less contrasty scene.

Another thing to take into on board is that a lot of people us vintage glass which blurs things up.

Also, a lot of videos online have used Neat video or something to clean up footage.

The 60D is far from perfect & it takes a while to get things looking nice.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I matched videos shot by canon75-300 canon 50mm and the kit 18-55 there was less noise in 75-300 and it was about 2pm and bright daylight. plus i use cinestyle also

You didn't open up the iris to 1.8, which is the whole point of the 50mm and what makes you get less noise. Lenses will show the same amount of noise if they're matched, i.e., all at 5.6 etc
Just try shooting with the 50mm at 1.8/2/2.8 and see the results.  

I downloaded the HD version of the clip 1MB, 1280x720 from vimeo. In my opinion the noise you see is normal for Canon 60D (I own a 60D too :lol:). The best thing you can do is: shoot at ISO 160, 320, 480, 640, etc.. not at ISO 100, 200... 

Then download software called: Neat Video to remove noise.  I think the bigger problem on DSLRs is compression artifacts. When shooting dark or uniform colored stuff you get ugly blocks called macroblocking. And unfortunately you get even more compression when uploading to youtube or vimeo. 

Well, i'll say it again put Magic Lantern on your camera, if it means buying another SD card then do it - I use the cheap Transcend SDHC class 10 16gb no problem.

Make sure you've got the right 60D firmware for ML on your camera (1.1.1 - there are links etc...)

Its easy to do, just do a low level format in-camera.

Plug the SD card into computer & copy'n'paste the files you've downloaded from ML onto it (where all the other files on the card are).

Put SD card back into camera.

Put camera in M mode, then turn it on.

Open up Canon menu & go to the Firmware section, enter & click OK (as if you were updating firmware).

Wait until the ML sucess screen comes up & restart the camera.

With ML you can now film RAW files (if you use a nightly build).

But for better H264, you can up the bit rate to 3.0x & get far better quality video (no sound, but its shit anyways).

Also, get some vintage lenses - a Helios 44-2 (pre-set aperture so no click stops) will be cheap, produce great images & is a very good place to start.

Neat video is an expense you don't really need at first, but is nice to have to clean up low light footage.

Visioncolor's picture profiles (VisionTech 02 being the one i always use) are amazing, no one has ever complained buying them after a recommendation!

If you shy away from this advice you'll be left with v.average (noisey/grainy) looking footage.