New Hard drive - faulty? - please advise.

yiomo

My brand new G- Technology 4TB drive makes a single clicking sound every 3-4 seconds. Is that normal? It does not sound very reassuring. Should I return it to the online retailer - Amazon?

First one - a 10 year G-Technology 1TB firewire desktop drive. Still running strong. You can only hear the spinning.

https://streamable.com/udt3p4

Second one - the drive in question. A brand new G-Technology 4TB usb3 desktop drive. Click repeats rythmically every 3-4 seconds.

https://streamable.com/r28lrx

Please advise !!!

I hate to pay for the postage to send to Amazon, but perhaps it is worth to change the drive.

edit: no drive was being accessed by the computer. Just powered on.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
43 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

Are you bus powering or using a DC adapter? I have a G tech drive that makes clicking noises when it's bus powered because it doesn't get enough juice.

it is a desktop hard drive, powered through the mains with a dc adapter.

I requested a replacement from Amazon. Not 100% sure if it is faulty, but I don't like the sound of it.

50 minutes ago, yiomo said:

it is a desktop hard drive, powered through the mains with a dc adapter.

I requested a replacement from Amazon. Not 100% sure if it is faulty, but I don't like the sound of it.

In that case I'd do the same.

Mine was advertised as bus powered, and didn't come with a DC adapter. It worked perfectly on Firewire, but after owning it for a year and trying it on USB 3 for the first time I found that it clearly worked better with a power brick. Seems like a completely different situation though.

Clicking is a common symptom of a dead drive.

I remember back in the day I ordered the latest and greatest HDD to my local IT store and it was the largest and fastest HDD they'd ever seen and it was a special order - way larger and hugely more expensive than the ones they stocked.  They were quite excited to know what kind of person would order such a thing and what I wanted it for and it was quite a buzz when I collected it.

When I brought it back in the next day, clicking and refusing to format there was mild shock in the store, but they confirmed that indeed it was dead and so they ordered a replacement.

When I brought the replacement one back in the day after I got it, clicking like the previous one had, the tone had changed completely and I think they might have suspected that I might be the cause.  I was also trying to ignore that thought myself.

Luckily the third one was all good.  Needless to say that when I plugged it in and it worked I was quite relieved!!