Sell XT3 for XT4..or?

stefanocps

Hello, need your suggestions. I have a XT3, rarely used, so in very good conditions and i am thinking to sell it to buy an XT4. This will cost me 400 euro to add, as i can sell mine at 900 and buy a XT4 for 1300. The reason for the change will be in order 1) Ibis 2) Articulating screen (though i am getting used to the xt3 one) 3) longer battery (though i have 2 extra battery with my xt3). I also have a smallrig cage for the XT3 and i would give it with the camera.

Do you think is a good idea? For what i know there are no other differences between the 2 camera and perhaps what is more important would be the IBIS.

I use the camera for video 90%...but for what i have read the ibisi is not that good in video. Acutally what i would really like to improve is the autofocus, but i don't see in that price range better possibilities..even in other brand. Am i wrong?

Please give me your opinin, if the upgrade worth 400 euro.

Thank you

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Judging what something is worth to someone in dollars is very difficult considering we don't know how much money that is to you and what else you might spend it on instead.

I'm sure lots of people will take the tiny scraps of info about what you do and how you do it and guess wildly what would be suitable for you, but if you were to give more info then the guessing wouldn't be quite so wild.

What do you currently really like about the XT3?  What are your current limitations from the XT3?  What future goals do you have for your film-making?  etc..

I have always the need to be able to shot in run and gun mode. That means, for me, vvery good autofocus, and perhaps IBIS..but for this i can't tell for sure. I never had an IBIS, i had a panasonic GH3 before and i could not wait for the next camera to have IBIS..but i discover XT3, which did not have. I like he camera a lot and i did take it anyway..if i use gh3 without IBIS i could do the same with XT3, i thought. Actually i use it anyway. Ibis is still appealing but don't know how really is good for video. I read many opinion that for video ibis on xt4 is not that good, producing unnatural movement. 

I choose XT3 because of quality of image first, and because it have good specs talking about recording options. Also for autofocus, because when i bought it it as much improvemente compared to Gh3.

That said i think that an evaluation could roughly be done because of the big differences in prices and because the 2 camera are not 2 different world. For example 400 euro woth for the xt4 ibis, is it so good or much better to get a gimbal if i really need ibis? That's what seems to me, those 400 euro are not a small amount, for me it is quite big amount. Is the xt4 a big upgrade?It can be nice to know what are your opinion about also, not completellyrelated to me, 

Have you used lenses with OIS?  IBIS is often of a similar performance, so perhaps that will be a useful reference point?

You can always shoot a short shutter speed and stabilise in post, and algorithms for adding motion-blur in post are getting better too, so that's an option under very simple conditions (they're not great yet).  If your shots are out of focus there is nothing you can do in post that will fix that.

I'm not really familiar with what cameras are around for those prices, but maybe someone else will give some suggestions.

At this point all cameras can make a great image under the right circumstances and working within their limitations, so it's more about what you shoot and how you shoot than the camera.  Everyone looks at a camera and sees different things because we all shoot differently.

9 hours ago, stefanocps said:

The autofocus, i say again could be a real game change

With the latest firmware autofocus is almost the same  if not the same between the X-T3 or X-T4. You have to dial in the focusing settings withe the glass you have which is a bit of a black art with fuji.

In the long run nothing that matters is that different between the two cameras. They have the same cpu and the X-t4 has a slightly different variant of the same sensor of the X-T3 The x-t4 ibis is still not that good I think.

I have and use both. The menu separation between photo and video is nice on the T4, as is the switch between photo and video modes. Another thing I like about the T4 is that you can easily select for audio line level in or mic level in. I haven't found a setting to do that on the T3, so if it's possible it's either buried in the menu system somewhere or I'm a dummy.

As for the screen, coming from Canon I didn't like the T3's screen articulation when I bought it. A full on flip screen is definitely better for some extremely low and high angle shots and a must for any kind of selfie work or if you are recording an interview on sticks and positioned beside the camera to talk to talent. But, on the other hand, I've come to appreciate the way the T3's screen tilts up and down from it's position in line with body. For some hand-held filming styles it works much better than the screen flipped out to the side and tilted.

Coming from an XT3...

XT3 strengths = price, tilt screen.

XT4 strengths = IBIS, larger battery.

If I went back to Fuji and these were my options, I'd go XT4 without question, purely for the IBIS, even though I prefer the tilt screen of the XT3.

Photo, video or hybrid, I'd still go XT4 and only go with the XT3 if I was going to use it on a gimbal or tripod.

On 4/21/2021 at 7:32 PM, stefanocps said:

I have a XT3, rarely used

So you want to spend more money so that you can then get a "XT4, rarely used"??

No, that doesn't seem like a wise way to spend money at all!

Wait until you have "XT3, well used" first!

Make the most of what you have currently, before thinking about spending even more money. 

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

So you want to spend more money so that you can then get a "XT4, rarely used"??

No, that doesn't seem like a wise way to spend money at all!

Wait until you have "XT3, well used" first!

Make the most of what you have currently, before thinking about spending even more money. 

that's true!the point is how much more i should spend..for a little monmey why not, otherwise you are absolutely right

Film at least a couple more projects at a bare minimum before even thinking about upgrading again. 

Remember too: the latest model is going to drop faster in depreciation than previous gen. Thus don't feel any need to rush into an upgrade, as time goes by it will only get even cheaper to upgrade. 

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Film at least a couple more projects at a bare minimum before even thinking about upgrading again. 

Remember too: the latest model is going to drop faster in depreciation than previous gen. Thus don't feel any need to rush into an upgrade, as time goes by it will only get even cheaper to upgrade. 

that's true, though xt4 is not anymore the latest. With xt3 i have shot 6 project in 2 years..more than what i was thinking when i wrote "rarely" 🙂 but i feel it as not used a lot. The wish for XT4 is the wish for IBIS...i was thinking of it since almost 10 years ago , when i had my first camera, and i use to dreram about stabilizer and a very good AF...Now i could still sell xt3 at a good price (included smallrig cage and a couple of extra battery) and if i found a good price for a used xt4 i might make the upgrade with no so much money. I would not do it for 400 euro..not at all. For 200 it can be reasonable. That said, honestly i have realized, by doing it, that most of the time i like the camera doing it s natural shaking rather than having an innatural stabilization. I would like the stabilizer only to simulate the "Camera tracking" (i am not sure that is the correct word in english)

18 hours ago, stefanocps said:

that's true, though xt4 is not anymore the latest.

It is the "latest" in the X-Tx series.  As in there is no "X-T5" yet. 

18 hours ago, stefanocps said:

With xt3 i have shot 6 project in 2 years..more than what i was thinking when i wrote "rarely" 🙂 

How long were these projects? Guessing not feature film / web series length, but more like short film length? Then yes, shooting 3 per year does 100% qualifies as "rarely". 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It is the "latest" in the X-Tx series.  As in there is no "X-T5" yet. 

How long were these projects? Guessing not feature film / web series length, but more like short film length? Then yes, shooting 3 per year does 100% qualifies as "rarely". 

you right i write wrong i meant not new  as it s about a couple of year if i remember well...for sure not the latest. And yes...based on your count i can say "rarely" 🙂

On 4/23/2021 at 3:24 PM, josdr said:

I will disagree with MRSMW 😁 a bit  , I think x-t3 makes much financial sense when in essence you are buying the same camera as the X-T3. If you use either of the models for video ,power junkie will be your friend and I would not rate the X-T4 ibis that much. But horses for courses etc..

Yeah, I think I'd tend to agree. The X-T4's IBIS from what I've seen isn't very good at all. I can't say that you might as well not have IBIS but it's probably the worse IBIS on the market since Sony improved theirs. The battery life is a nice bonus, but you can take care of that with a Power Junkie or other battery plate. 

The recording limit ultimately is what makes Fuji a no go for me personally, but until the IBIS gets better I'd probably need to add weight to the rig to improve stabilization even with the X-T4 to get somewhat closer to what I get with the GH5. I still though will use a shoulder rig sometimes with the GH5! 

Really though I'd run the X-T3 into the ground before upgrading. I'm not a huge fan of constantly upgrading cameras to the latest model. To me, you should squeeze as much out of a camera investment as possible. The allure of new gear is real, but I'm using a 4 year old GH5 and my primary reason for thinking about changing is concern over the M43 system, not that my camera isn't capable of doing everything I need.