quick Diopter changes

Anthony Vallejo-Sanderson

Hey, 

I randomly came across this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xume-72mm-Camera-Lens-Filter-Adapter-Ring-holder-Pro-kit-Kenko-Hoya-B-W-fit-/171066254292?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d457e3d4

Sounds like it would be great for faster Diopter changes. Few of my concerns (besides a hundred bucks for magnets) are possible vignetting? I know I get some vignetting when I stack diopters on my isco 36, full frame.  

Anyone have any experiences with these?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey, 

I randomly came across this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xume-72mm-Camera-Lens-Filter-Adapter-Ring-holder-Pro-kit-Kenko-Hoya-B-W-fit-/171066254292?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d457e3d4

Sounds like it would be great for faster Diopter changes. Few of my concerns (besides a hundred bucks for magnets) are possible vignetting? I know I get some vignetting when I stack diopters on my isco 36, full frame.  

Anyone have any experiences with these?

Yes me, it's working perfect ! I have also put it on variable ND, so I can put the diopter alone, the ND alone, or the diopter + the ND.

It's enough strong to carry all this, even with my heavy achromatic diopters.

10316478935_20d7eb1073_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I gave them a quick a test, tried rigging two 0.4 doublets and a 72mm helios variable ND to the end of iscorama, each with their own magnet. It works pretty well, however when I sat my shoulder rig down a bit to roughly, the jolt dislodged one of the filters, luckily only a short drop onto carpet. And as you would expect, increased vignette a bit.

I'm not sure how I feel about them, seems like one clumsy bump and your filters could break. Wish they were a bit stronger.

So after using them on a test shoot I've come to realize that what you gain in speed you forfeit for security....like Lucian said above. It's so nice being able to change out diopters so quickly though, but I can only imagine after some time the magnets will start to fade. I'm not sure I would trust it with a expensive/rare filter/diopter, especially during handheld shots. 

Another thing I would note about the filters is the idea of magnets and media (SD/CF cards) together in the same gear bag. Makes me nervous. 

So in conclusion, I'd keep it old school and take the few extra seconds to screw on a diopter.