which 60p stop-gap camera

gethin

I have a GH2, D800 and 60d.  So far the GH4 looks like a very sensible next step, but typically I have 2 big jobs that need shooting before it'll be out.

I have a speedbooster, and a growing collection of nikon glass. I do a lot of wide lens stuff currently with the tokina 11-16, but I miss the canon 10-22, bigger range and less barrel distortion.  I shoot a bit of timelapse now and then

Theres only about $250 separates g6, d5300, and gh3.  Don't especially shoot in low light, but have found the gh2 blocky noise and fizz in the shadows to be an issue.  If the G6 is no different in that regard I'll rule it out. (Some people say its better, some dont). I like the dynamic range of the d800 video, but thats about it.

Really need a decent fast ultrawide for M43 or APSC too. (12mm doesn't cut it on M43, I need 7-9mm or 10-12 on apsc).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What kind of big jobs?  On the wide angle, there is the panny 7-14mm.   I read somewhere that ultra-wide lenses are physically wide angle optics attached to telephotos, that the lens gets a wide angle then has to enlarge it to make it through the distance to the sensor.  This makes sense to me.  I find the quality of ultra-wide angles made for aps-c or ff to be somewhat soft.  If you're not doing much photography then seems to be you should just get a MFT wide-angle.  I would think it would give the best quality on any MFT camera.  My guess is that is has to do little, if any, "telephoto" work onto the image to get it to the sensor.

g6 is way superior to gh2 in low light

gone is all the fizz noise in the blacks

Ive swopped from gh2 to using g6 now and the whole camera is much better then the gh2

the screens are superb the evf is amazing cant work without it now

the iso's are all alot cleaner now alot less noise

focus peaking is great I leave it on all the time now

and the remote wifi control of the camera on your iphone is unreal

I can pull focus and stop start recording change the iso etc etc all via wifi

with the camera 100 feet away on a jib arm !

the panasonic image ap is free and very very useful!!

g6 is the way to go

Maxotics I'm still waiting for that gold g6 !! haha

It's coming..  Unlike gold, the price of the camera hasn't dropped much yet!

I was reading the camera labs review of the g6 and it reminded me how I felt about the g5 http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_G6/    I'm going to get one, I just need to sell a camera or come up with some reason to get it.  I helped a friend shoot something a few weeks ago.  I used the GF3, which is great for what it was, but wish I had the g6.  Next time I will.  I shot some footage with the BMPCC and d600, but at the risk of you saying I told you so, the footage just wasn't worth the post processing.  The d600 because the DOF worked against my focusing it (didn't have glasses on or a loupe) and even the BMPCC was overwhelmed by the harsh lighting and again, focus issues.  I know, I'm slow.  Don't give up on me ;)

Urgh and then Andrew complicates things again this morning.  That a6000 would let me get my hands on the sony 10-18 (or in fact the canon 10-22 again with an active adaptor).  

I wonder just how much better than the g6 the video is

It's coming..  Unlike gold, the price of the camera hasn't dropped much yet!

I was reading the camera labs review of the g6 and it reminded me how I felt about the g5 http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_G6/    I'm going to get one, I just need to sell a camera or come up with some reason to get it.  I helped a friend shoot something a few weeks ago.  I used the GF3, which is great for what it was, but wish I had the g6.  Next time I will.  I shot some footage with the BMPCC and d600, but at the risk of you saying I told you so, the footage just wasn't worth the post processing.  The d600 because the DOF worked against my focusing it (didn't have glasses on or a loupe) and even the BMPCC was overwhelmed by the harsh lighting and again, focus issues.  I know, I'm slow.  Don't give up on me ;)

GF3 is a great little camera - I put the Driftwood Quantum 10 hack on it , so it now kicks out 120mb/s nice big files

GF3 is a great little camera - I put the Driftwood Quantum 10 hack on it , so it now kicks out 120mb/s nice big files

Hi Andy, I want to test this again, can you point me to where that hack is? (I think I have a driftwood version, but not sure if latest).  How close do you think it is to the g5 or g6?  Thanks!

For image quality, especially in low light I prefer the D5300.

The swivel LCD is excellant.

You can use all your Nikkors (some manual focus only).

It does 1080 P60 for only 10 minutes so you need an Odyssey 7 for extended recording without gaps.

I use a GH3 for "unattended" continuous recording and will be upgrading to the GH4

I also have the 12-35 and will add the Lumix 7-14 f/2.8 when available.

What I would like to see is a four thirds 10-100 power zoom like the Nikon 1.

I'm typically a "smaller is better" sort of guy.  As such, I've found the GX7 and GM1 to be a very capable motion picture cameras.  Similar to what you're looking for, they're also a stop-gap video camera for me.

I also bought 'em to use as my go-to stills cameras once the video needs are overtaken by the next camera buy.  I think they're great stills cameras.

Also, the GM1 works well as a "fly" video cam and I expect it'll specialize in that capacity for a long stretch.

I'm very happy with my GH3, very good 60p and good codec. I think that the G6 can produce good images too (without MOV/50Mbs).

Check that video, I've using a 12mm for the wide shots, I think that it's a not wide enough but that's working for me.

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

And what about a fisheye ? Too much distortion ?

Yep well gh3 probably would have been the sensible choice at that point.  Note to self: err on the side of the more professional camera.  Instead I went with the a6000, speedbooster and all, and found my nikon 14-24 didn't work with it.  It may be an issue with this camera or speedbooster.  Couldn't wait for replacements though, had to go out and buy a nikon 5300.  By the time I've finished this I'll have tried every $1000 ish camera out there ;)