Development announcement of Canon EOS R3

Andrew Reid

8 hours ago, herein2020 said:

. So Canon..if you are listening, add an XLR module, dual slot video recording, and a 4:2:0 codec to your R3 and I would possibly replace my whole current kit with Canon gear.

… And a cooling fan 😅

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
30 minutes ago, Fox said:

… And a cooling fan 😅

That depends on if you are as big of a conspiracy theorist as I am 🙂 .  I still think the overheating timer is either complete BS or Canon deliberately designed the camera in a way that would not prevent it from overheating with extended use. My S5 can shoot 4K60FPS 10bit 4:2:0 H.265 footage for 30min on a 90 degree day while recording to both card slots with no problem and unlimited 8 bit footage.

With a body the size of the R3 and so far they are only advertising 4K (not 6 or 8K) I would definitely think no fan is needed.

7 hours ago, herein2020 said:

That depends on if you are as big of a conspiracy theorist as I am 🙂 .  I still think the overheating timer is either complete BS or Canon deliberately designed the camera in a way that would not prevent it from overheating with extended use. My S5 can shoot 4K60FPS 10bit 4:2:0 H.265 footage for 30min on a 90 degree day while recording to both card slots with no problem and unlimited 8 bit footage.

With a body the size of the R3 and so far they are only advertising 4K (not 6 or 8K) I would definitely think no fan is needed.

Is it full oversampled from 8K?

Alright so R3 is looking pretty juicy for Canon and RF users.

• 30.1 MP BSI stacked sensor
  • internal RAW video
  • Oversampled 4K w/ C-Log 3

No mention of frame rates but I would assume it does 4K120p since it has latest DigicX processor in it.

4K probably oversampled from around 6.5K and internal 6K RAW with, I’m guessing, a slight crop.

Rolling shutter will probably be very, very good and DR will be improved slightly with BSI.

Now where will the cripple hammer show up?

Clog2 is overkill for a hybrid camera such as this. It is also not necessary as the camera has been designed with Clog3 implementation, which can theoretically yield 14 stops of DR according to Canon. There is some extra shadow detail in Clog2, but highlights are very similar to Clog3:

If this camera ships with uncropped 6.7K RAW video from a 30MP BSI sensor with improved DR and RS over the R5/1DXIII, it will be very compelling at $6,000 USD for certain shooters. However, those who need a broadcast field camera should obviously purchase a C70 or FX6 and not even think about these hybrids. There you will find all your relevant log functions and the waveforms required to expose them correctly!

On 6/26/2021 at 4:14 PM, independent said:

Like the R5, prob no clog 2 in the compressed codecs. Left for the cinema cameras. 

C-Log 2 is kinda included when shooting internal RAW video. Even on the R5, the RAW has more detail in the shadows. There is noise there but it can be cleaned up and an extra stop or so achieved.

R5 with C-Log 3 is great. No complaints here.

23 hours ago, Kino said:

If this camera ships with uncropped 6.7K RAW video from a 30MP BSI sensor with improved DR and RS over the R5/1DXIII, it will be very compelling at $6,000 USD for certain shooters. However, those who need a broadcast field camera should obviously purchase a C70 or FX6 and not even think about these hybrids. There you will find all your relevant log functions and the waveforms required to expose them correctly!

Yes, I'm very interested in this camera as video-centric hybrid if it doesn't have deal breaking overheating limits. Kinda sounds crazy but this sized camera with IBIS and optional EIS will probably preform fairly well in the field. Just don't use ultra wide FOV lenses 20mm and below.

I'm curios to see if it can do FF DCI > 6k RAW Light 60fps with AF, I expect this but with Canon you never know. Best would be open gate... but I doubt.

My biggest complain to Canon is 120fps is conformed to 30 fps with no audio...  why not offering both conformed and 120fps (with audio)? 

On 6/27/2021 at 8:14 PM, Video Hummus said:

C-Log 2 is kinda included when shooting internal RAW video. Even on the R5, the RAW has more detail in the shadows. There is noise there but it can be cleaned up and an extra stop or so achieved.

R5 with C-Log 3 is great. No complaints here.

Depends.

If you can't shoot raw and need more reach into the shadows, clog2 for compressed codecs would be a major feature. 

7 hours ago, independent said:

Depends.

If you can't shoot raw and need more reach into the shadows, clog2 for compressed codecs would be a major feature. 

Thats why I'm hoping there is no overheating with this camera but there probably will be because they want to sell their C70.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 10:18 PM, independent said:

There’s no overheating in the 1dx iii for 5.5k raw. I’d be surprised if the r3 we’re different.  

Yes, but it is a bigger body with no IBIS, they've disabled the AF for the 5.5k60p mode and in 5.5k30p it is running in a slower readout mode.
The R3 may improve on these specs with much better rolling shutter using the stacked sensor, but it may also be limited by heat, although probably not nearly as much as the R5/R6.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 7:57 PM, herein2020 said:

The Panasonics use Sony sensors so even if this is true its not the end of the world. I would still take the S5 over any Sony camera any day so if the R3 has a Sony sensor it would make for interesting table talk but the image quality should still be able to stand on its own.

Why would Panasonic not use the 24 Megapixel Full Frame Sensor they developed, build and even sell to others.

Beside that, Sony doesn't produce/sell any sensors with the specs of the S1/S1H/S1R/S5, but Panasonic does.

This just sounds extremely strange... i assume that Panasonic does not waste money by developing such an sensor and then not use it but buy Sonys.

Who would still buy the Sensor from Panasonic if they don't use it themselves. That would pretty much kill their sensor business

8 hours ago, Vamp898 said:

Why would Panasonic not use the 24 Megapixel Full Frame Sensor they developed, build and even sell to others.

Beside that, Sony doesn't produce/sell any sensors with the specs of the S1/S1H/S1R/S5, but Panasonic does.

This just sounds extremely strange... i assume that Panasonic does not waste money by developing such an sensor and then not use it but buy Sonys.

Who would still buy the Sensor from Panasonic if they don't use it themselves. That would pretty much kill their sensor business

Where is the info about this 24 MP sensor you speak of?