Development announcement of Canon EOS R3

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 1 month later...

This is hugely speculative, even by Internet forum standards:

- The only mp numbers we have so far are from totally anonymous sources reported with low confidence ("CR1") by Canon Rumors

- If Canon designed but was contracting the mfg as speculated above (e.g. apple, amd, nvidia) why would Sony get a SKU out?

- Did Canon ever claim they developed the Powershot sensor? They seem to be very careful with the words "developed" vs "applied" above.

- Canon also has a BSI and Stacked patents, so that's not a slam dunk argument either: https://petapixel.com/2021/01/12/canon-patents-a-combination-high-speed-high-resolution-stacked-sensor/

I would not be surprised in the least if Canon did in fact buy a Sony sensor, developed it with Sony, or developed it but contracted Sony for mfg. But this is super far from a "leak"

The Panasonics use Sony sensors so even if this is true its not the end of the world. I would still take the S5 over any Sony camera any day so if the R3 has a Sony sensor it would make for interesting table talk but the image quality should still be able to stand on its own.

57 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

The Panasonics use Sony sensors so even if this is true its not the end of the world. I would still take the S5 over any Sony camera any day so if the R3 has a Sony sensor it would make for interesting table talk but the image quality should still be able to stand on its own.

It's just very strange though that they are using a Sony sensor. One has to wonder why? 

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

It's just very strange though that they are using a Sony sensor. One has to wonder why? 

I think everything comes down to cost and time. If it would have cost them more to make their own or take so long that they could not meet their production timelines then it would make sense to outsource. 

We still don't even know if it is true and to what extent Sony is even involved. Maybe Sony can more efficiently mass produce the sensor that Canon designed or maybe there was a patent problem that could be overcome by partnering with Sony...who knows. Now if Panasonic would just partner with Canon to implement DPAF......

At the end of the day it's all about money; stranger partnerships have been formed between supposedly arch enemy companies in the past when it made financial sense.

13 hours ago, herein2020 said:

even if this is true its not the end of the world

The problem is not what sensor does the R3 have, but if Sony is the only one who produces higher-end sensors. If Canon truly gave up sensor of their upcoming flagship (albeit temporary until R1 comes), this means that most probably development doesn't make sense for them and will be outsourced.

15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Outgunned and outnumbered.

If I was a Canon user, I would be far more worried if the sensor with this specs was manufactured by Canon. Canon simply hasnt invested (nor has the capacity to invest) in very high end sensor specs.

And basically you are getting Sony's high end sensor specs matched with every thing you like about Canon (and generally hate in the Sony world.)

The writing has been on the wall here for many years...

Maybe they make the same deal that Fujifilm did with their amazing 26mp sensor - it is a Sony sensor, but never got inside a Sony or other manufacturer camera.

You hand a secret to the competition (Sony) in advance, but much cheaper than make your own sensor. Sony have gains in volume that no one (except Samsung) could match.

In fact, Samsung saw the writing on the wall - camera sensors would become a marginal business. Smartphone / surveillance / industrial sensors have much more volume and profits.

5 hours ago, Stanly said:

The problem is not what sensor does the R3 have, but if Sony is the only one who produces higher-end sensors. If Canon truly gave up sensor of their upcoming flagship (albeit temporary until R1 comes), this means that most probably development doesn't make sense for them and will be outsourced.

I would be concerned as well if Sony really was the only high volume high end sensor maker around. Look at Panasonic...strictly conjecture but I love a good conspiracy theory and I truly think Sony has told Panasonic they can only use their sensors if they stick with DFD.....no other explanation makes sense. 

So imagine Sony waiting a few yrs until all of Canon's sensor production capabilities are gone then they slap some onerous restriction on Canon's sensors. 

Of course every bit of this is wildly speculative and as outsiders we truly have no clue what is really going on but its still fun to speculate. 

• Administrators
On 5/2/2021 at 12:21 PM, androidlad said:

R3 sensor is likely to be manufactured by Sony Semicon:

https://www.canonwatch.com/did-canon-make-the-eos-r3-sensor-or-did-they-not/

042.jpg

047.jpg

I like the way they took "designed" out. So it is not designed by Canon?

I like the way they took "manufactured" out. So it is not manufactured by Canon?

Developed could mean anything.

I don't like the Petapixel article, it seemed to get hooked up on the fact I am "salacious" and stating stuff as fact which everybody knows is lawyer speak. So you have to wonder what the writer's real intention is with this piece, and whether he got in touch with Canon purely to drag my name through the muck with their legal department.

36 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I don't like the Petapixel article, it seemed to get hooked up on the fact I am "salacious" and stating stuff as fact which everybody knows is lawyer speak. So you have to wonder what the writer's real intention is with this piece, and whether he got in touch with Canon purely to drag my name through the muck with their legal department.

I don't think PP is out to drag anyone, they're out for clicks. Salacious is the wrong word to use here, but seems par for their usual style, no?

22 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I like the way they took "designed" out. So it is not designed by Canon?

I like the way they took "manufactured" out. So it is not manufactured by Canon?

Developed could mean anything.

The PetaPixel article is pretty funny actually and the comments are even better. So anyone who calls Canon out for their BS is now a Canon hater? I would think it is safe to say most of the forum members here are the least fanboyish of any forum I've been a member of. Members here just use whatever works and if that is Canon then they use Canon, or Sony, or Fuji, or Panasonic, or....etc. 

I know that I personally love the idea of Canon but just keep getting disappointed which is why I have stuck with my 5DIV and which is why I had to go to Panasonic to get what I needed for video.

The PP article was quite inaccurate as well, the EOSHD article was nothing more than conjecture with the words "RUMOR", "If this rumor WERE TRUE" etc. written all over it.

I think this is good news though, at least we know now that PP editors read EOSHD forums and maybe just maybe Canon does too. So Canon..if you are listening, add an XLR module, dual slot video recording, and a 4:2:0 codec to your R3 and I would possibly replace my whole current kit with Canon gear.