The downfall of the big guys just began - BlackMagic 2.5K Cinema Camera with 12bit RAW for $3000

Andrew Reid

I don't know if this has been asked before or not, but how is the camera getting its compressed 1920x1080 modes? Do we know if it's doing it by cropping off the sides or is it by scanning the same area as the 2.4K raw output and then downscaling?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote author=RichST link=topic=596.msg4835#msg4835 date=1335636142]
I don't know if this has been asked before or not, but how is the camera getting its compressed 1920x1080 modes? Do we know if it's doing it by cropping off the sides or is it by scanning the same area as the 2.4K raw output and then downscaling?
[/quote] seems its a BM secret

I was thinking more about this camera. I really think this sadly will be a studio only camera, cause of the battery short life and the really bad ergonomics. Another problem is...is this camera tropicalized? How will it react working outside, with 30 degrees, for a couple of hours?

I was thinking to sell my Mark2 to make money, but really I think there will be a lot of situations when this camera won't work. To me it made a lot more sense to put the spirit of DSLR filmmakers in this camera, not only the price! Like this we have a steril studio camera that will be really difficult to adapt to "run and gun" shooting

[quote author=garypayton link=topic=596.msg4920#msg4920 date=1335892577]
I was thinking more about this camera. I really think this sadly will be a studio only camera, cause of the battery short life and the really bad ergonomics. Another problem is...is this camera tropicalized? How will it react working outside, with 30 degrees, for a couple of hours?

I was thinking to sell my Mark2 to make money, but really I think there will be a lot of situations when this camera won't work. To me it made a lot more sense to put the spirit of DSLR filmmakers in this camera, not only the price! Like this we have a steril studio camera that will be really difficult to adapt to "run and gun" shooting
[/quote]

There's an awful lot of assumptions here that have little basis for existence yet.  Ironically, the Canons (or any DSLR) are not robust devices built to be used in extreme conditions [i][b]while shooting video[/b][/i].  Live View makes them (the Canons at least) overheat very easily, which exacerbates imagine issues (not to mention auto shut-down).  I'm surprised with all the DSLR add-ons that have been made the last few years nobody has developed the definitive "camera cooler" that might increase the practicality of these cameras for exotic locations like Central Texas.

A location that can also easily dew up $100,000 worth of CineAlta and almost miss morning Magic Hour.

[quote author=Axel link=topic=596.msg4925#msg4925 date=1335900138]
"Story is all that matters ... "
;D ;D ;D

I don't like to see this idiot every time a new camera system comes out, but this time the texts are really top-notch.
[/quote]

He probably go and shoot himself if they told him for $3k the BM also includes Resolve 9 and Ultrascope :D

People, comon.

There are solutions out there for the battery, for example the V-lock batteries for dSLR camera's, these have been around for AGES, there are mounts with dc power out, they have a Powerplug 15-30V out!!

For me it's the crop and workflow expansion..
Going from i7 2600k edit suite, with 150GB per shortfilm to atleast 1TB per project, which is insane for me.

I hate it to have it not cover run n gun situations, which still made me not pre order it.
Also if there is a solution for my contax zeiss lenses, and wide angle with straight distortion, instead of retarded fisheye distortions.

[quote author=sicovdplas link=topic=596.msg4937#msg4937 date=1335923505]
People, comon.

There are solutions out there for the battery, for example the V-lock batteries for dSLR camera's, these have been around for AGES, there are mounts with dc power out, they have a Powerplug 15-30V out!!

For me it's the crop and workflow expansion..
Going from i7 2600k edit suite, with 150GB per shortfilm to atleast 1TB per project, which is insane for me.

I hate it to have it not cover run n gun situations, which still made me not pre order it.
Also if there is a solution for my contax zeiss lenses, and wide angle with straight distortion, instead of retarded fisheye distortions.
[/quote]

Shoot prores or dnx.

CVP has dropped the price of the BM
[url=http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index.php?t=product/blackmagic_cinema_camera]http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index.php?t=product/blackmagic_cinema_camera[/url]

Interest is going through the roof so no reason why a price cut already and like there is strong competition elsewhere.