The downfall of the big guys just began - BlackMagic 2.5K Cinema Camera with 12bit RAW for $3000

Andrew Reid

GaryPayton - There already are affordable 35mm digital video cameras. You mean ridiculously affordable no? The GH2 is terrific. If you like it, why are you looking for another camera?
You are like a Nissan 350z owner who complains that no-one's made you a 911 for the same money. It will come. In the meantime, just shoot.
This camera is probably not made for you. We get it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote author=garypayton link=topic=596.msg4083#msg4083 date=1334621307]
yes, so every camera is the same! It only depends from the lenses! Wow, why don't they make a 302020X crop, we'll need the right lens and the dof would be as shallow as in a super sized sensor!!!!

And btw. I didn't say the 5dmarkII is the direction to go, I'm again talking about the look of those videos they posted. No sharpness at all, i'm absolutely sure they would be incredible if worked in post, but i will wait to see that. It's my opinion. I'm really excited about this camera BUT i think we have to wait for more tests, that's it.
first of all the high iso tests. You people here are gh2 lovers! That camera is still solid at 3200 iso, that's what i want to see from this camera!

35mm and 16mm are not the same, 16 mm is really good but i don't think i'm the only one hoping one day we will have a super 35mm affordable camera.
[/quote]

I did mentioned the condition for learning as being " wise ". You chose being a clone. I wish you the best.

[quote author=mtnzlondon link=topic=596.msg4086#msg4086 date=1334621622]
GaryPayton - There already are affordable 35mm digital video cameras. You mean ridiculously affordable no? The GH2 is terrific. If you like it, why are you looking for another camera?
You are like a Nissan 350z owner who complains that no-one's made you a 911 for the same money. It will come. In the meantime, just shoot.
[/quote]
I

I'm just saying "I hope one day they will come up with a super 35 version of this camera" like many other people hope.  And I'm just saying I want to see some serious footage of this camera before saying it is amazing.

[quote author=shijan link=topic=596.msg4092#msg4092 date=1334623869]
looking to flares from lights again and again and believe that it is another CCD sensor inside ((. but maybe its only my imagination.
[/quote]
Does flare change from cdd to cmos ? isn't just a matter of lens?

[quote author=robbie75vr link=topic=596.msg4093#msg4093 date=1334623964]
looking to flares from lights again and again and believe that it is another CCD sensor inside ((. but maybe its only my imagination.
[/quote]
[/quote]
lens is lens and it also produce flares, but CCD sensors have so called vertical smear effect

[quote author=shijan link=topic=596.msg4094#msg4094 date=1334624535]
[quote author=robbie75vr link=topic=596.msg4093#msg4093 date=1334623964]
[/quote]
[/quote]
lens is lens and it also produce flares, but CCD sensors have so called vertical smear effect
[/quote]
oh yes true , I forgot that (too much time not using ccd...) thanks

[quote author=garypayton link=topic=596.msg4091#msg4091 date=1334623285]
[quote author=mtnzlondon link=topic=596.msg4086#msg4086 date=1334621622]
[/quote]
I

I'm just saying "I hope one day they will come up with a super 35 version of this camera" like many other people hope.
[/quote]

They (Sony) did.  It is called the FS700 but it is near $10,000.

So again, at the $3k price point this will be an exceptional cinema tool.

[quote author=Bruno link=topic=596.msg4096#msg4096 date=1334624996]
Regarding the sample videos, if you read the guy's large post, you probably know they were shot with a cheap and slow canon zoom lens (15-85), so I wouldn't expect much sharpness there...
[/quote]

Means we'll have to buy some 2000$ lenses for it to work good?

[quote author=garypayton link=topic=596.msg4098#msg4098 date=1334625278]
Regarding the sample videos, if you read the guy's large post, you probably know they were shot with a cheap and slow canon zoom lens (15-85), so I wouldn't expect much sharpness there...
[/quote]

Means we'll have to buy some 2000$ lenses for it to work good?
[/quote]

Uh no.  You can use Canon glass, L or you can rent from places like borrowlenses or lensrentals.

[/quote]

That's way too soft regardless. I've used the 18-55mm lens that's slow and it's not this soft on any camera I put it on.

Perhaps some post work is needed but those test videos are extremely soft.

[quote author=Shawn_Lights link=topic=596.msg4100#msg4100 date=1334625769]
[/quote]

That's way too soft regardless. I've used the 18-55mm lens that's slow and it's not this soft on any camera I put it on.

Perhaps some post work is needed but those test videos are extremely soft.
[/quote]

so i'm not the only one that notices...

The thing is that some make up their minds about sensor size without really looking at the options and seeing just what the look and feel of a given system really is.  The GH2 and m4/3 in general has seen at least some options created to fit the needs of the system.  ie. the Voightlander 25mm and 17mm f0.95 lenses.  The popularity of the new BMD Camera will dictate just how responsive the rest of the industry is to making solutions for it.  Lenses will be made to work better with this new sensor size if it's as successful as I believe it will be.

[quote author=StivVid link=topic=596.msg4070#msg4070 date=1334618729]
I think you've misread what's included with this camera.  It includes the full version of DaVinci Resolve 9.0 as well as Blackmagic UltraScope.
[/quote]

I did not read that part until much later. They can still upgrade people to the DaVinci hardware. I am not complaining. I think Blackmagic Designs is a very innovative company and are headed in the right direction. Reminds me of the SI2K + Cineform + Firstlight on steroids for a fraction of the price. Not going to comment on image quality, and I don't care if the sensor is a little smaller than four/thirds. People seem to be obsessed with razor thin DOF. If I see another Vimeo or Youtube video named "DOF test XX" .......