The downfall of the big guys just began - BlackMagic 2.5K Cinema Camera with 12bit RAW for $3000

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote author=Shawn_Lights link=topic=596.msg4066#msg4066 date=1334617596]
Go here for the test videos: http://vimeopro.com/johnbrawleytests/blackmagic-cinema-camera

They completely suck.
[/quote]

Average vidoes yes, but remember that Vimo is streaming these at a compressed 720p.

[quote author=garypayton link=topic=596.msg4068#msg4068 date=1334617791]
i think they suck too...probably everybody was overblown by the price thing...

sure too soon to judge. 5d Mark II (with VAF filter) got a more cinematographic look, and the GH2 gives more details
[/quote]

lol you are cracking us up with your posts.

A cinema "look" isn't defined by sensor size.  You can get shallow depth of field with smaller sensor cameras by either getting closer to your subjects or using a longer lens - or both. 

A Canon MK2 or 3 still has limited dynamic range, tons of compression, poor color, massive cmos jellow.  This isn't a "cinema" look imo.

And saying a GH2 will out resolve a camera that nobody has used yet is silly.

[quote author=unconsenting link=topic=596.msg4031#msg4031 date=1334604709]
There is probably not much margin in this camera. I think it is to get people hooked on DaVinci free for post and in the long run, when people do well enough financially, they will upgrade to the larger DaVinci system. In fact, you can only do 1080p in DaVinci free, I believe.

An exec for Adobe once stated that they were excited that Photoshop was the most pirated software in the world, because it got people hooked on their workflow. Then when they establish a business in need of legit software, they buy the full version. Like a crack dealer who gives you the first rock free :)
[/quote]

I think you've misread what's included with this camera.  It includes the full version of DaVinci Resolve 9.0 as well as Blackmagic UltraScope.

[quote author=bradleyg5 link=topic=596.msg4061#msg4061 date=1334615297]

::) My eyes just rolled so hard they almost fell out of my head, really sucks that this device seems only properly compatible with Mac, why would you buy a low cost camera if you were editting on a needlessly expensive platform, you can get way more editting bang for the buck with a windows setup.  This seems more like a hipster camera.
[/quote]

Where did you get the idea that this device seems only properly compatible with Mac ?

[quote author=garypayton link=topic=596.msg4071#msg4071 date=1334618823]
Oh, it's so easy? wow...so a full frame got the same dof than a 2x crop...thanx Sara!

You always learn some new incredible theory in the forums!
[/quote]

Didn't say that.

Your definition of "cinema" leaves much to be desired. 

[quote author=OverCranked link=topic=596.msg4072#msg4072 date=1334618918]
[quote author=bradleyg5 link=topic=596.msg4061#msg4061 date=1334615297]

::) My eyes just rolled so hard they almost fell out of my head, really sucks that this device seems only properly compatible with Mac, why would you buy a low cost camera if you were editting on a needlessly expensive platform, you can get way more editting bang for the buck with a windows setup.  This seems more like a hipster camera.
[/quote]

Where did you get the idea that this device seems only properly compatible with Mac ?
[/quote]

Agree 100%.  Cinema DNG files are a piece of cake with Adobe Premiere Pro and you have the option of Avid DNX files with this BlackMagic device - doesn't get better than that.

People are so quick to hate on this cam.  It is a great step in the right direction for its price point.

i didn't define cinema, that takes a little more time.

I just said, and i repeat : can't see much sharpness and details in those sample videos (GH2 seems well above) and unprocessed 5dMarkII footage got an immediate more cinematic look because of the large sensor (it's not a theory of mine, everybody agrees that the 5d cinematographic look is given by the large sensor).
That's it.

And we still have to see the main thing : how this camera works at high iso rates...

http://vimeo.com/40491503

http://vimeo.com/40479724
in English and Spanish

http://vimeo.com/40477529
Dan Chung

Cool comparison table of Digital Bolex Vs BlackMagic linked in the comments section on Vimeo by Nikita Pavlov
http://nikitapavlov.com/blog/digital-bolex-d16-vs-blackmagic-cinema-camera-comparison-table/

[quote author=garypayton link=topic=596.msg4071#msg4071 date=1334618823]
Oh, it's so easy? wow...so a full frame got the same dof than a 2x crop...thanx Sara!

You always learn some new incredible theory in the forums!
[/quote]

In fact you can have identical DOF to an FF with any size imager. You just need the proper lens in proper T/stop and proper distance between the subject to camera and the background. We often match the DOF between the 35mm and super 16 ( B cams ). That is not a theory it's fact of life if you pay the bills with it. FYI - in real productions with limited time ( read it budget ) the shallow DOF often becomes too much of a good thing and we have to struggle against it.

And yes, you are correct. If you are wise enough you could be learning incredible or simple stuff on these forums !

Whaat the heck? Well this sure was a surprise.

Now the funny thing is that i'd love to pay $5k for the extra bells and whistles like XLR, ND Filters and all that!

Honestly don't know what to make of this camera yet. Very... surprising!

yes, so every camera is the same! It only depends from the lenses! Wow, why don't they make a 302020X crop, we'll need the right lens and the dof would be as shallow as in a super sized sensor!!!!

And btw. I didn't say the 5dmarkII is the direction to go, I'm again talking about the look of those videos they posted. No sharpness at all, i'm absolutely sure they would be incredible if worked in post, but i will wait to see that. It's my opinion. I'm really excited about this camera BUT i think we have to wait for more tests, that's it.
first of all the high iso tests. You people here are gh2 lovers! That camera is still solid at 3200 iso, that's what i want to see from this camera!

35mm and 16mm are not the same, 16 mm is really good but i don't think i'm the only one hoping one day we will have a super 35mm affordable camera.

Yahoo !

this camera for some specific applications is awesome !

I shoot aerial docs with drones, all my footage normally needs to be stabilized in post (means crop), with this camera I will be able to stabilize camera shakes and still have a sharp 1080p output file !

Not to mention about the advantages in my application with such a small camera ! it will fit perfectly in my drone, will work well with my small glidecam, will be good even for my travel filming in my backpack...

Files saved directly in prores for me means faster workflow, time saved in transcoding, time saved with thunderbolt transfers.

Are there prime manual lenses made specifically for this sensor size ?

Hey, 13 fstops + davinci is awesome guys.

Tell me what other camera at this price range offers all these features ?