Best affordable camera as of 2021?

empedocles

1 hour ago, ade towell said:

I've only used the S1 but yes from what I can see it holds a few advantages to the S5 other than size. IBIS is supposedly better, full size hdmi is priceless, the new firmware takes it close to the S1H, those with an S5 may be able to tell you what is better on the smaller model. With vlog upgrade I have to say the S1 image is hard to beat, DR and colour both are amazing

Not a lot in it really.

The S1 if you 100% want to shoot video externally and create the best rig.

The S5 maybe for the more hybrid shooter (like me) who shoots non-log, dislikes monitors and gimbals etc.

So I use the S5 as my hybrid and S1H as the more dedicated video camera, but just as it comes out of the box.

Horses for courses and all that but pretty much and and all of these options will work and it more depends on your specific needs and then getting familiar with them over an extended period of time.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you don't need internal 10-bit, could add the X-S10 in the list. Really liking the camera.

Compared to the GX85 / GX9 (I've owned both): better colors (albeit the GX9 have VERY good color), video AF miles better (not 100% precise, but very usable - in the GXs, unusable), ok IBIS (GX85 and GX9 are a bit better), option to punch-in to check focus during recording (one things that ALWAYS wanted in my midrange m43s), great lenses.

4 hours ago, empedocles said:

Well I guess by "affordable" I meant less than 2 or 3K. From what I've gathered, the S5 is a pared down version of the S1, isn't it? Or is it an improvement over the latter?

Funny story...

At its release, the S5 was a MORE CAPABLE video camera than the S1. 

But with recent firmware updates - if you get an S1 with the V-log upgrade pack - the S1 is more capable than the S5.

My S5 is my everyday work camera (for stills and video).

I am tempted to sell my S1 and get another S5, but the fact the S1 has unlimited 10-internal recording and how has 6k Internal means that I will probably keep it for at least a while. The 6K internal appeals for re-framing shots in post. I rarely "get things right in camera" so the leeway to re-frame in post is really tempting. 

4 hours ago, empedocles said:

Well I guess by "affordable" I meant less than 2 or 3K. From what I've gathered, the S5 is a pared down version of the S1, isn't it? Or is it an improvement over the latter?

Funny story...

But with recent firmware updates - if you get an S1 with the V-log upgrade pack - the S1 is more capable than the S5.

I am tempted to sell my S1 and get another S5, but the fact the S1 has unlimited 10-internal recording and how has 6k Internal means that I will probably keep it for at least a while. The 6K internal appeals for re-framing shots in post. I rarely "get things right in camera" so the leeway to re-frame in post is really tempting. 

23 hours ago, empedocles said:

What in your opinion makes the S1 better than the XT3? And by the way, has Andrew reviewed the latter? Oh and what about the Fuji XT4?

6k vs 4k 

Full frame vs APSC

Better Ibis, better battery life, better ISO performance, better build quality, better image in log (less digital looking) 

10bit 422 instead of just 420. 

There's obviously more but those are what I consider to be general improvements. 

Only thing on the XT4 that's better is its ALL-I compression modes. 

But the Panasonic long GOP 10bit codec is essentially as robust as an all I codec. 

2 hours ago, MicahMahaffey said:

6k vs 4k 

Full frame vs APSC

Better Ibis, better battery life, better ISO performance, better build quality, better image in log (less digital looking) 

10bit 422 instead of just 420. 

There's obviously more but those are what I consider to be general improvements. 

Only thing on the XT4 that's better is its ALL-I compression modes. 

But the Panasonic long GOP 10bit codec is essentially as robust as an all I codec. 

The Fuji autofocus is better too, yeah? And if you add the Metabones speedbooster to either the T3 or T4 you've got your full frame and access to plentiful EF glass.

In general, all of these cameras can give you a good image, which is awesome. Probably 90 percent or more of your audience won't be able to tell the difference if you nail focus, exposure and white balance.

22 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

am tempted to sell my S1 and get another S5

I’m still undecided re. my third body, (needed once I get back to work) and can make a case for another S5, an S1R, or an FP-L.

Decisions decisions...but not one I need to make any time soon as all (paid) work up to the end of July, has now postponed or cancelled.

Another S5 most likely because it works as the best hybrid for my needs, but the step up in megapixels (handheld) is something I could make use of at times and the S1R is insane value...just not so good for video.

The FP-L ups the ante even more in the megapixel department and I love the stills I am seeing competent persons producing...but again, like the S1R, not a video camera for me.

I’ll see when the time comes...

14 hours ago, EphraimP said:

The Fuji autofocus is better too, yeah? And if you add the Metabones speedbooster to either the T3 or T4 you've got your full frame and access to plentiful EF glass.

In general, all of these cameras can give you a good image, which is awesome. Probably 90 percent or more of your audience won't be able to tell the difference if you nail focus, exposure and white balance.

I dont use autofocus so I forgot about that one. 

I mean, i use my sony a6300 along side my S1 as a gimbal cam and its negligible once graded. 

The xt4 being 10bit pretty much means that it can look like any camera with enough adjustments. 

We're definitely in a time were most cameras can get the job done and nobody will ever notice what camera you used. 

Just now, MicahMahaffey said:

We're definitely in a time were most cameras can get the job done and nobody will ever notice what camera you used. 

It's a pretty great time to be a videographer/filmmaker. So many tools at our disposal becoming more and more affordable. If you want to take a bare-bones approach, you can make very beautiful projects at a relatively low cost.

Of course, it's still super easy to invest thousands and thousands in gear as an indy shooter/low budget pro (don't ask me how I know 😏). It pays to be thoughtful about what you invest in, and treat your gear buys as an investment.

On 4/15/2021 at 2:13 AM, Mark Romero 2 said:

Funny story...

Yeah, I spent the last two months prepping myself to buy a brand new S5, but wound up opting for a used S1 with the V-Log upgrade pack and Firmware 2.0 already installed. I would've been happy either way, I'm sure, but I think if you come across an S1 with all of its bells and whistles already in place, it's generally going to be the better value over the S5.

For me, the biggest tradeoff is that I'm buying the S1 without any native L-mount lenses, its backscreen isn't a normal "flip-out" screen and I'll probably need to buy newer/faster SD cards and a CFExpress Type B card or two. Then again, all but one of my current lenses are all manual focus anyway and I've rarely ever needed to use the flip out screen on my G85 in previous gigs I've done. So really the only real issue I'll be running into for now is just buying new memory cards to better utilize the capabilities of the S1.

I do find it a bit ironic that for all of Panasonic's extra efforts to prop up the S1 and boost its capabilities, the camera's value lies best in buying it used. Buying an S1 new and paying an extra $200 for the V-Log upgrade to go with it just takes the price of the camera up too close to something like the A7S3. And at that point, you're much better off just buying a new S5 at $2000/$2300 with a kit lens. 

I did the math when I bought my S1 and I saved at least $1000 overall in buying the camera used. 

14 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I’m still undecided re. my third body, (needed once I get back to work) and can make a case for another S5, an S1R, or an FP-L.

Decisions decisions...but not one I need to make any time soon as all (paid) work up to the end of July, has now postponed or cancelled.

Another S5 most likely because it works as the best hybrid for my needs, but the step up in megapixels (handheld) is something I could make use of at times and the S1R is insane value...just not so good for video.

The FP-L ups the ante even more in the megapixel department and I love the stills I am seeing competent persons producing...but again, like the S1R, not a video camera for me.

I’ll see when the time comes...

The S1R does have 10 bit 4k tho, not bad for video TBH