Andrew Reid and Frank Sauer shoot with the Panasonic GH4 - Production Diary Day 1

Andrew Reid

Slow-mo at 60fps is better, the image is much sharper. Slow-mo at 96fps is ok for most stuff but you do notice the softness with wider shots and if the subject is quite far from the camera.

4K is the point of the GH4 for me. Slow-mo an unexpected bonus.

4K footage is very gradable... you will see. I have shot with every pic profile and will upload a comparison. I like CineLikeD the best.

Next daily report is being prepared now, just need to finish editing the footage and wanted to do the Digital Bolex piece first, so have a bit of patience and good things will come to those who wait :)

Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyy!!! :D

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for all the research you do Andrew. I do have a question. While the PL lenses like Cooke is off the chart and great, I am more interested in seeing the GH4 with lenses that most people like me can afford. Most people with the GH2 or GH3 that's looking to jump to the GH4 already have 4/3 lenses like the 12-35, Leica 25mm, etc... I know many people will be interested to see how the GH4 will perform with the 4/3 lenses because those $6k lenses are just out of the price range of most people.

Could this be a really good lens for the GH4? 

The LEICA DG SUMMILUX 15mm / F1.7 ASPH. comes equipped with aperture ring and AF/MF switch for direct, intuitive operation.

http://***URL removed***/news/2014/03/24/panasonic-announces-leica-dg-summilux-15mm-f1-7-and-gm1-kit?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_24

Sounds like a decent lens.... for stills. 

Like the GH3, I think this camera will shine most with manual glass if you are going for cinematic. That's what MFT is all about! ;) Electronic Panasonic lenses look overly clinical, knife sharp and very contrasty..... absolutely awesome if thats what you want! 

Like the GH3, I think this camera will shine most with manual glass if you are going for cinematic. That's what MFT is all about! ;) Electronic Panasonic lenses look overly clinical, knife sharp and very contrasty..... absolutely awesome if thats what you want! 

That certainly used to be the case in the past but to my eyes the 4K image doesn't seem to have the same overly "sharpened look" that the HD stuff shot on Lumix lenses produced in the past.  And it appears to be naturally sharp when downconverted to HD rather than artificially sharpened due to camera processing.  The character will obviously be different on legacy or cinema glass, but at the same time some glass may not be able to resolve 4K when shot at wide apertures and that could have the unfortunate problem of looking slightly out of focus... or perhaps not, we'll see soon enough.

I guess posting part 2 was an April Fool's joke too  :D !! Andrew, were dying ova here! Dying I say!!

If I can just see some 10-bit 1080p at ISO 6400 before I take my last breath, it would have all been worth it...

I'll second that - been clicking on EOSHD since Sunday night (California time - I'm used to Andrew's schedule with him in the UK) and am going mad waiting... And of course this is a great indicator of what a great site you run!

I'll second that - been clicking on EOSHD since Sunday night (California time - I'm used to Andrew's schedule with him in the UK) and am going mad waiting... And of course this is a great indicator of what a great site you run!

Something tells me Andrew might have gotten a phone call from someone urging him to wait on final firmware...

Andrew, for someone who says "attention seeking for clicks." on the post above, You look like someone who knows how to play the game quite nicely too  ;) 

Oh well, that was a nice april's fool  :D

I'm not hating on Andrew if that is the case. His site is probably run out of his own pocket, and he barely makes a pence using Ad revenue.

We all know he's not bluffing having the beautiful Cookes hooked up to the GH4, so if we click like mad until he post the second article, good for him!! :D