Match Nikon Z6 and Pana GH5 for B/roll

Aquilasfx

Hello,
I’m on the way to produce an interview with my nikon Z6 attached to atomos ninja V and I I need to use a second camera as B-Roll. 
Actually I can use a Panasonic GH5
Or an old D800. Using D800 I can only record 8bit internally , and the file seems a bit softer)
Otherwise if nothing can help I could rent another nikon z6 or a nikon D850. 

What about matching Z6 and GH5 that I own? I have criteri color checker passport. I tried some times matching them but unfortunately it seems hard to match them..

In nikon Z6 I don’t want to use proresraw but I would prefear log 10bit. 
In DaVinci resolve I usually I set the color chart (in GH5 I set blog in input and rec709 in output, in Z6 file rec709 input and output) but they don’t match well. I usually register 10bit log on Z6 and same on GH5 10bit 155mb/s. Any suggestions to have a good and usable B-roll with matched colours? Using xrite color match passport seems to doesn't work very well...

@Andrew Reid Do you have any suggestion? thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've found one of the really important things in matching two cameras is to use a colour checker (under identical lighting conditions) and use the Hue vs Hue, Hue vs Sat, and Hue vs Lum curves to match up the colour patches from the colour checker.

If you haven't done that then it's worth a go, as often those curves take a match from being quite bad to really close.

8 hours ago, kye said:

I've found one of the really important things in matching two cameras is to use a colour checker (under identical lighting conditions) and use the Hue vs Hue, Hue vs Sat, and Hue vs Lum curves to match up the colour patches from the colour checker.

If you haven't done that then it's worth a go, as often those curves take a match from being quite bad to really close.

I did it but it really suck... doesn’t  match properly..

18 hours ago, Aquilasfx said:

I did it but it really suck... doesn’t  match properly..

It depends on the footage you're matching and what the differences are.  It's one element of the image, but isn't the only thing, of course.

As basic as its sounds Premiere's color match tool works pretty well. I get best results by matching log to log than applying the same LUT to both to get very similar highlight and shadow roll off, than adjust contrast and white balance to match. 

If you have the color chart you could crop the image to just the chart and use the color match tool, probably would get even better results. 

13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I'd go for the same LUT on each, then minor adjustments to adjust by eye for each scene.

13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I'd go for the same LUT on each, then minor adjustments to adjust by eye for each scene.

What about use on GH5 of x color space transform from v-log L to z-log. Then apply to another node to Z6 and to GH5 the same chart transform of xrite chips passport video and then slightly adjust?

is it a bad workflow?

I tried also to use cinematch, but it seems a costly tool that almost do the same thing. Don’t you think?

CST only transforms color space but it doesn't make the camera sensor match better. It's useful for matching luminance if you intend on using the same LUT on both cameras.
For your situation, once you get 100% on luminance and WB, use hue vs. hue and hue vs. sat adjustments. People pay more attention to luminance than color differences.