Nice low-light Panasonic GH4 footage

Musty

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Footage does look rather promising Musty.Looks like the color saturation has been bumped up .

Taxis through the tunnel are hooting.Rather puzzled what the three characters under the "Sex shop "

sign at 4.00 mean.The right one looks like a wheel chair being rocket launched.

This indeed shows how better resolution may influence the way you see things. There are a lot of wide shots I would have subconsciously avoided with my Pocket (as well as with my GH2). To make the clip even better, there should have been more close ups of simple structures in between. The camera can resolve the chaos, but after a minute or so this gets somewhat boring.

This indeed shows how better resolution may influence the way you see things. There are a lot of wide shots I would have subconsciously avoided with my Pocket (as well as with my GH2). To make the clip even better, there should have been more close ups of simple structures in between. The camera can resolve the chaos, but after a minute or so this gets somewhat boring.

I don't think the person who shot this meant to make anything entertaining. Its just a bunch of test footage he shot in order to show what the camera is capable of.

I didn't detect any rolling shutter on those fast passing trees during the taxi ride footage... nice!

My Canon 5DMKIII is now on ebay...

It is truly an amazing image, as jcs says.  I want one!  But it still has that video-look, high contrast and sharpness.   It looks like what 1080p is meant to look like.  I can't see the difference between that and the best broadcast TV.  You have to hand it to Panasonic!  All the said, I don't believe it will have the 3D pop you can get from RAW shooting.  We'll have to see. Musty, don't sell your 5D3 unless you have no interest in what RAW does.

It is truly an amazing image, as jcs says.  I want one!  But it still has that video-look, high contrast and sharpness.   It looks like what 1080p is meant to look like.  I can't see the difference between that and the best broadcast TV.  You have to hand it to Panasonic!  All the said, I don't believe it will have the 3D pop you can get from RAW shooting.  We'll have to see. Musty, don't sell your 5D3 unless you have no interest in what RAW does.

Get one! :)

The guy that shot the footage said it was ungraded so with some half decent grading or running it through FilmConvert, you can pull out a less video looking image. That is just for starters! You can also tweek the shadow and highlight curves in camera.

I do shoot ML RAW, but as I said in another post, the image is truly amazing but it is still only a hack and you can't rely on it when doing any paid jobs. Plus it eats up so much card space and the post-production process is still a pretty long effort. If I could afford to keep both the 5D MKIII and a GH4 I would, but its not an option. I'm quite happy to sacrifice that lovely RAW image for something that still looks pretty amazing and is 100% stable and easier to work with in post.

I'm quite happy to sacrifice that lovely RAW image for something that still looks pretty amazing and is 100% stable and easier to work with in post.

I'd like to argue with you, but I have a BMPCC and every time I press the record button I mentally calculate how fat I'll get eating M&Ms waiting for the files to copy over and process :)

A lot of blown-out signs there. I wonder what it would take for them not to be blown out? Is it a sensor size issue? Lack of DR? What is it exactly? What cameras can prevent this?

I would attribute that to DR. Only the BMCC and BMPCC would perform better here. We still need to wait and understand what the GH4 is capable of. As I said, the footage above is ungraded.

Which has more DR- the 14-bit RAW 5D3 or the 8-bit AVCHD FS700? The FS700 (in the analog/sensor domain): 14+ vs 11.6 stops (ML RAW ISO). The GH4's 12.7 stops still beats the 5D3 RAW. I've been doing tests with the FS700's 24Mbps AVCHD vs. 5D3 RAW in terms of resolution, DR, and color matching. While the FS700 wins in terms of resolution and DR, the 5D3 still has a very hard-to-beat look after tone-mapping 14-bit down to 8-bit.

Part of the secret sauce for making 5D3 RAW footage really pop, especially for challenging lighting situations, is the use of ACR to bring up shadows, pull highlights, denoise, sharpen, etc. With Photoshop CC, you can apply ACR as a filter to video footage. I tried this with 8-bit FS700 footage: it really does help improve image quality, though it's still limited by the 8-bit, highly compressed source material (ACR is very, very slow). GH4 material will be less compressed (higher bitrates), and the recorded external 10-bit 422 signal will help as well. For 4K, it looks like the FS700+7Q will provide the best image quality for the price (professional space), while the GH4 will top the consumer space. The FS700+7Q for A-cam and the GH4 for B-cam looks like a good combo for mid-upper indie and lower-end pro work (where the upper end is Alexa, Amira, F55,  F65, Dragon). The GH4 will also find use in feature movies due to it's tiny size and high quality.

Detailed yes.

Low shadow noise yes.

Digital looking..... Yes Yes Yes!

It's all for nothing if it looks digital IMO  

It looks digital because it's so sharp and it's shot on a standard picture profile. Im sure once people start shooting in cinestyle and do grading, the footage will look more pleasant.