Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra - Why a technical marvel cannot come close to flattering the subject

Andrew Reid

40 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I remember when the first 1" sensor smartphone came out (Panasonic CM1) was around the same time the Samsung NX1 arrived.

It's still worth keeping an eye out for on eBay if you want a smart compact camera...

https://www.eoshd.com/review/panasonic-cm1-review-part-1-smartphone-first-impressions/

Takes some great shots in RAW mode.

In many ways it's still the best sensor in any smartphone for RAW at least.

I recently re-bought one for 100 euros.

15fps for 4K. So close for a super compact video device. I think the HD is low bitrate. Photo quality is awesome though. About as good as from a Lumix G6, pretty close anyways.

The samples from the Xiaomi present very nasty artefacts indeed. Looks like jpegs from 2010.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If I were you, I would test the phone by Camera FV-5 Pro. It is a paid app but the result is usually better than the built in camera app from the phones and it supports RAW too.

The only drawback is the focusing response maybe not as good as the built-in app and the speed of saving file may be a little bit slow. Also, ISO range may be limited due to the programming restriction from the factory setting. However, the performances of colour are always better than the built-in app, from my experience of using LG G4, V40, Sony Xperia II or Nokia 7 plus.

I suggest to give it a try of using Camera FV-5 Pro. It is worthwhile.

Phones are mass consumer products, and the development are driven by consumer focus groups.

If these groups prefer photos oversaturated and hypersharpned, you bet that it will be in the final product. Remember the 60fps interpolation that still came standard for a lot of TV sets - for people like us it is atrocious, but MOST of the people that I know think it is "cool" or never even noticed it...

Or it is a new kind of programmed obsolence - again, using TV sets as example, now there are some initiatives to "true cinema image"...which marketing will promote as the new cool thing, to make people buy the new trend.

• Administrators

I have not yet found anything as good as the Huawei P40 Pro's RYYB sensor (1/1.28") in RAW mode

8K / 50MP resolution: Click for full res 22MB ACR 80% JPEG:

https://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/P40Pro8k_IMG_20200731_191137.jpg

P40Pro8k_IMG_20200731_191137.jpg

The Oneplus 8 Pro is good too in RAW.

Shooting RAW is the only way to overcome the excessive processing, and usually the RAW files are only saved in the "Pro" mode of an Android phone's camera app. So you need to choose a phone where the Pro mode can launch as the default mode each time and is easy to access. RAW files can be saved with the 5x optics of the P40 Pro as well.

The CPU of phones is so good now, you have no trouble editing the 50MP RAW DNG file "in-camera". I use Polarr.

Dynamic range is really good in the RAW file but not quite as good as the phone HDR processing is. However, considering that is up there with medium format for dynamic range, the RAW is still on the RX100 1" sensor level for DR.

9 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Or it is a new kind of programmed obsolence - again, using TV sets as example, now there are some initiatives to "true cinema image"...which marketing will promote as the new cool thing, to make people buy the new trend.

Whenever I change any of my relatives TVs settings to these new "true cinema" modes and explain to them why its important, they look at me like they understand and accept the change; but next time I visit and check the TV again I see it's returned to Standard or Dynamic 😂.