RJ jinfinance Focal Reducer

Pascal Garnier

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

that's standard ebay practice : you can only make 3 offers max.  
and most sellers only accept offers higher than 90 or 95% of their Buy Now price.

Ahh I see - you used to be able to haggle.

So how is the Focal Reducer really - are there any other real downsides now you've had it a few days?

I offered $80 yesterday still not had a reply.....

Well that means they might accept - $80 must be their min limit, as my 2 [stupidly low] offers were declined almost a split second after hitting the offer button.

V.rude not to even consider an offer!

I am troubled that the glass, on the M42 adapter, seems very close to the aperture ridge/lip & they state that some lenses with protruding back elements (at infinity) may hit the glass - so obviously a no no. I've asked the question about the distance of the glass from the top to see if this will be a problem.

But would be interesting to see some results before buying, but it is only $100 & the Metabones people are really dragging their feet getting an M42 or EF (which i understand is more difficult to make, apparently) adapter out there.

I am convinced that this FD to micro 4/3 speedbooster is exactly the same one Pascal has bought

it is just cheaper from a different seller on ebay

looking very carefully at both sets of photos it is identical , every screw every part of it the lettering font etc

There cannot be multiple manufacturers of this adaptor just different sellers on ebay selling at competative prices

this one is $96.00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360844545884?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

andy : there's a big chance they use cheaper glass, which is the only way to make it cheaper.  Which might introduce all kinds of artifacts.  

That's why the Metabones is so expensive : they use the best glass they can get.

I didn't buy the cheapest adapter, but paid $30 extra for something that had already been tested/reviewed with pictures to proove it. 

The only way to find out how this cheaper one does is to buy one and see how it does.  But all tests I've seen so far show there's a huge difference and image degradation with the very cheap focal reducers.

• 4 weeks later...

I am convinced that this FD to micro 4/3 speedbooster is exactly the same one Pascal has bought

it is just cheaper from a different seller on ebay

looking very carefully at both sets of photos it is identical , every screw every part of it the lettering font etc

There cannot be multiple manufacturers of this adaptor just different sellers on ebay selling at competative prices

this one is $96.00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360844545884?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Did you order this adaptor?  If so, any good? Also, can you recommend an adaptor for m42 lenses?

andy : there's a big chance they use cheaper glass, which is the only way to make it cheaper.  Which might introduce all kinds of artifacts.  

That's why the Metabones is so expensive : they use the best glass they can get.

I didn't buy the cheapest adapter, but paid $30 extra for something that had already been tested/reviewed with pictures to proove it. 

The only way to find out how this cheaper one does is to buy one and see how it does.  But all tests I've seen so far show there's a huge difference and image degradation with the very cheap focal reducers.

^ agreed. I recently was researching this stuff and found myself discussing it with folks on Personal-View. Apparently, much of the housings are mass produced between manufacturers, but the glass that gets installed is not necessarily equal. Its a quality control issue, much like many things out of China that are mass produced on a budget. 2 products from different companies can look identical, but not necessarily perform the same. 

I saw tests from the "cheapo ebay" models on that forum, and they did not perform as well as the RJ. On a whim, I decided to use the contact form to shoot an email out to RJ, and it seems like I got a personal response from Rong Jin himself. He was actually extremely informative and helpful, we started discussing coatings and quality of the glass, and it was pretty clear to me that this is a guy who takes pride in his product. I do believe he puts in a better quality glass element than the others.

I'm looking for a Canon EF to M43 Focal Reducer for a good price. Doesn't have to be the cheapest of the cheapest, but around €100 would be nice. Planning on using it with my DSO FF58 2x oval (f/4) on the GH4.

I'd prefer buying something that is tested by others. Suggestions welcome!

I'm looking for a Canon EF to M43 Focal Reducer for a good price. Doesn't have to be the cheapest of the cheapest, but around €100 would be nice. Planning on using it with my DSO FF58 2x oval (f/4) on the GH4.

I'd prefer buying something that is tested by others. Suggestions welcome!

This looked pretty good, but the guy said it was an RJ but then claimed it came from Roxsen, so had the blue spot problem (the new RJ doesn't & he'll take an offer of $90-98):

Can someone clarify something about aperture equivalence for me. The focal reducer will increase light gathering by one stop, but how will it affect the DOF shallowness? So 35 f2 lens on mft would become 25mm f1.4, and then multiply again by the mft crop factor, it becomes a 50mm f2.8?