Canon 4K refresh - C200 and C400 coming at NAB?

Andrew Reid

The Alexa and C300 are popular because they make it fast and easy to create high quality material quickly. Note all the comments about ease of use and fast production workflow. Sony and Red can also look great (F65 Oblivion is marvelous eye candy) after a bit more work in shooting and post (RAW and big cameras will be used less and less).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I agree with your point in general, but i actually think it's one of the reasons Alexa is a bit overrated.  It's so expensive that it only gets used on the bigger budget projects.  So the overall quality of everything else (besides the camera) is going to be better, and therefore the final result will look better. 

I don't believe this is entirely unintentional.

That said, the Alexa is the real deal.

I was shooting with the Canon 1DC on a shoot the other day, but everything at 1080p50. The image is pretty good, nice skintones, although its a bit soft, even though I was shooting mostly on a Canon 24-70 L II at f5.6! 

If you are just shooting video and don't intend to do many stills, the camera is way overpriced - and this GH4 is testament to how it should be done for a really good price. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the next C line from Canon though, but not looking forward to wincing at the price! 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I was shooting with the Canon 1DC on a shoot the other day, but everything at 1080p50. The image is pretty good, nice skintones, although its a bit soft, even though I was
shooting mostly on a Canon 24-70 L II at f5.6!

Well it in fact is quite soft in the 60p mode. Sometimes even makes me think it's upscaled 720p.
You haven't seen its powers unless you shot in 4K and/or the S35 crop, other than these it's pretty much a 5D/1D, which is disappointing.

Well it in fact is quite soft in the 60p mode. Sometimes even makes me think it's upscaled 720p.
You haven't seen its powers unless you shot in 4K and/or the S35 crop, other than these it's pretty much a 5D/1D, which is disappointing.

Yes you are right. I'm editing it now and the image doesn't really snap. Its just about good enough for the project though. 

The Canon slow motion modes have always been a bit rubbish, I remember the 720/60p mode on the 5d/60d/7d etc was more like really badly compressed 240p! Absolutely terrible it was!

The good thing about it is the Log mode, its not too bad. I hope they completely re-design the 1DC next time round and make it better for video - its decent video but not for the price. Plus no focus peaking on a full frame cinema camera? Ouch. A monitor with peaking is a must!

• 2 weeks later...

C400/C200 will still be overpriced based on Canon's previous history.

It's only overpriced if people don't buy it.  Based on sales of Canons current lineup I don't see how you could say it is overpriced.  That is the price the market is willing to bare, and people are paying it.