Canon R5 new 1.3 firmware ads CLOG3, Raw light and IPB light

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Django said:

Is the new lower bitrate option in Clog h264 or 4:2:0 h265?

IPB Low with Clog enabled is still h265 10bit 4:2:2. My high end gaming notebook can play back 4k 60fps in real time on a 4k DCI 60p timeline with couple of nodes LUT + sharpening + basic color correction but is all done in CPU (ca 70% cpu usage), ALL-I cannot playback at 60fps in realtime. 

Yup, kind of disappointing they didn't think of making the 10-bit codec easier to edit. Would have been a safe way to make the R5/R6 more competitive with A7S3. Also let down with no Clog3 for R6/1DX3 owners even though it is rumoured to come later (i.e. another 6 months). 

I've never understood Canon's logic. I once owned the 1DX2 and they never put Clog of any kind on that camera...their flagship camera. They did put it on the 5D Mark IV, but never on the 1DX2. That's about the time I switched to Sony and have been with Sony ever since. I had plans to switch back to Canon (since I still own expensive Canon lenses) with the R5 but what kept me from switching were record limits, overheating and the hard to edit codecs. I spend too much time already putting videos together and then to add transcoding to the workflow was just too much for me.

I was hoping the new firmware would match the codecs of the A7SIII and A1 cameras. Their files/codecs are such a pleasure to work with. Makes editing easy.

37 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

Pretty surprised but I could play back the new 8k Raw codec in DaVinci Resolve on a three-year old iMac (souped up at the time however). I have always edited in Premiere but it's pretty insane how much smoother DaVinci is with everything. Need to make the full switch.

This is what I'm saying since a long time Canon RAW and the new RAW Light is fast and easy to edit on a good PC in Resolve on a 4k timeline, 8k timeline you need more than 8GB VRAM.....

20 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

This is what I'm saying since a long time Canon RAW and the new RAW Light is fast and easy to edit on a good PC in Resolve on a 4k timeline, 8k timeline you need more than 8GB VRAM.....

The new RAW light on 16GB M1 MBP will playback when viewer is set to “best performance” in FCP. Image looks fantastic.

I’m not sure what is going on but there seems to be a screen brightness or even view assist problem in clog3 mode. I’m also still having problems with zebra 1+2. Zebra 1 is set to 55 and zebra 2 is set at 95 and only 95 is showing. I’ve tested multiple times and doubled and triple checked my settings. It works fine in 4KHQ. 

2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I’m not sure what is going on but there seems to be a screen brightness or even view assist problem in clog3 mode. I’m also still having problems with zebra 1+2. Zebra 1 is set to 55 and zebra 2 is set at 95 and only 95 is showing. I’ve tested multiple times and doubled and triple checked my settings. It works fine in 4KHQ. 

I tested clog3 4k60, 8k 30 and 8k 30 raw with zebra 1+2 and 55+-5 and 95 and it always work. Bump iso to 25k to a bright source and 95 pattern should show up and then dial iso down until it changes to 55...

21 hours ago, currensheldon said:

Pretty surprised but I could play back the new 8k Raw codec in DaVinci Resolve on a three-year old iMac (souped up at the time however). I have always edited in Premiere but it's pretty insane how much smoother DaVinci is with everything. Need to make the full switch.

Are you finding the new 8k RAW light easier to edit, my pc struggles with original 8k RAW samples I've found online even in Resolve? Can't find any RAW light samples to try out if anyone knows of any, still mulling over R5/R6 for work and with the lack of clog3 on R6 new firmware am beginning to see the lure of the R5...