Canon R5 new 1.3 firmware ads CLOG3, Raw light and IPB light

wolf33d

WOW. That's a pretty impressive update for the R5, especially C-Log3 and Raw Lite. I'd love to see whatever raw compression this is in 8k in their 4k raw cameras (C200, C300III, C500II). The 1gbps 4k still has massive file sizes, but if the 8k is 1.3gbps, then I'd assume 400-600mbps in 4k with the same compression is possible. Something like 8:1, perhaps?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
27 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Absolutely sucks that 4K120 is still All-I though. 

Well, I follow your POV but let's not forget going with 5X the 24p rate, we have 376Mbps as 'regular' speed equivalent, so it's not that bad detail-wise also in order to avoid any potential introduction of nasty artifacts along your footage ; )

Without mention, you can always recode it : )

I'd firmly suggest this one, though:

Just updated. Wow, game changer.

Must test recording time. Overheating a thing of the past? If the only recording limitation is the 30-min recording time, practically speaking, then overheating might be a concern only in hot environments. 

The RAW LIGHT (a bit awkward to navigate so many options in the menu now) - I'm genuinely surprised. The regular raw bitrate is proportional to cinema raw light, so I doubted Canon could somehow decrease the bitrate-but they did! A new format that is nearly 40% reduced, even below the C500ii's 6k raw. This has a major impact on storage costs in the post-production chain.

Some of you guys are getting way too caught up in dynamic range "numbers" on tests. All the recent cameras have similar dynamic range, although the processing will manipulate those numbers obviously (see Sonys w/ blotchy NR - is that worth it for you?)

For the R5, shoot raw, protect the highlights. Use clog2. When you downscale from 8K, most visible noise will be gone--any remaining will be a fine, film-like grain that's quite nice. No better image south of the C500ii or fx9 in my opinion. 

43 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

I can’t get the new RAW light files to display in Final Cut Pro on a M1 MBP. I can import them but the video files are just all black. There is sound and FCP correctly applied Canon Log2 in the settings. Strange. Files playback fine on R5.

Did you get the Canon RAW Plugin 2.2 for Final Cut Pro X?

if not: https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/3/0200006353/01/rpfm-2-2-0-5-9l.dmg.gz

3 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Huh...I just see v2.1 on Canon USA. 

Yes, it's not there, or it wasn't when checked earlier... they listed it on the US press release but it's updates are always kinda slow for the US site. I have made a habit of looking on the Japan site on release dates. 

anyways, I'm running 2.2 from the provided link, and have no issues seeing the files on FCPX.

3 hours ago, independent said:

The RAW LIGHT (a bit awkward to navigate so many options in the menu now) - I'm genuinely surprised. The regular raw bitrate is proportional to cinema raw light, so I doubted Canon could somehow decrease the bitrate-but they did! A new format that is nearly 40% reduced, even below the C500ii's 6k raw. This has a major impact on storage costs in the post-production chain.

This is truly surprising as the compression ratio is more than any C camera from Canon. 8k RAW at 1.3 Gbits/s is very very good is basically in the same ballpark as 8:1 RED 8k RAW

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

This is truly surprising as the compression ratio is more than any C camera from Canon. 8k RAW at 1.3 Gbits/s is very very good is basically in the same ballpark as 8:1 RED 8k RAW

Yes I’m very surprised. Up to 24 minutes of RAW light compared to standard 12 minutes with 256GB card. 

5 hours ago, independent said:

Must test recording time. Overheating a thing of the past? If the only recording limitation is the 30-min recording time, practically speaking, then overheating might be a concern only in hot environments. 

I thought they did away with the recording limits? 

3 hours ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Yes, it's not there, or it wasn't when checked earlier... they listed it on the US press release but it's updates are always kinda slow for the US site. I have made a habit of looking on the Japan site on release dates. 

anyways, I'm running 2.2 from the provided link, and have no issues seeing the files on FCPX.

Updated. v2.2 working like a charm.

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

I thought they did away with the recording limits? 

No, Canon annoying has 29m59s recording limits...👎🏻

5 hours ago, gt3rs said:

That's what I was thinking - about an 8:1 compression. Whatever this compression ratio is, I'd LOVE it if they brought it to 4k in the the C300 III, C200, and any other future 4k raw cameras. 8:1 is sort of the sweet spot for quality and file sizes. For 4k, that would probably be closer o 400-600mbps, which is the same or a bit more than All-I.

1 hour ago, currensheldon said:

That's what I was thinking - about an 8:1 compression. Whatever this compression ratio is, I'd LOVE it if they brought it to 4k in the the C300 III, C200, and any other future 4k raw cameras. 8:1 is sort of the sweet spot for quality and file sizes. For 4k, that would probably be closer o 400-600mbps, which is the same or a bit more than All-I.

The 8k RAW Lite is the same file size as the 8k All-I on the R5, they should definitely do that to their other camera.