Canon R5 new 1.3 firmware ads CLOG3, Raw light and IPB light

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Just did the upgrade.

The big news for me is RAW Light as I shoot mostly RAW.
RAW Light files open in Resolve 17.1 whiteout any issue and editing speed seems to be similar to the normal RAW. I need to do some more testing but the size saving is big ca 40% in >=25fps and 50% in 24fps, this is very welcomed.

17 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

The new lite options seem to greatly reduced the heat build up inside the camera.

This guy recorded 1hr18min of 8k raw lite til battery died

8k raw lite.JPG

1:18 min "continues" 8k raw..... impressive..... probably under the sun will be different but from where we started with this camera is a huge improvements

10 minutes ago, Robert Patts said:

It is interesting as they said in their test: https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Der-Dynamikumfang-von-Canon-EOS-R5---R6--Panasonic-S5-und-Sony-A7SIII-im-Vergleich.html that the R5 is actually on pair or even a tad better than the A7S III even before the CLog3.....  

"Im besten Fall sehen wir den Vorsprung der Panasonic S5 gegenüber dem restlichen Feld (Sony A7SIII, Canon EOS R5 und R6) bei maximal einer nutzbaren Blendenstufe. Sony nimmt den den Marketing-Mund mit 15 Blendenstufen am vollsten und landet dennoch in unserer Einschätzung auf dem letzten Platz, was auf den ungünstigen Mix aus Rauschunterdrückung und Kompressionsartefakten zurückzuführen ist. Es handelte sich bei unserer Betrachtung jedoch noch ausdrücklich um ein Vorserienmodell. Wir warten bereits sehnsüchtig auf ein Serienmodell der A7SIII, um dieses Verhalten noch mit mehr Messungen untersuchen zu können. Auch lässt sich mit dem gewonnenen Eindruck eventuell noch an den internen Parametern der Kamera einiges "drehen".

Die von Canon genannten 12 Blendenstufen scheinen uns dagegen eher etwas untertrieben. Sowohl die R5 als auch die R6 können in der Dynamik gut mit den aktuellen 14+-Spitzenreitern von Panasonic mithalten."

It is so hard to measure DR that is not really worth to look at numbers imo. In RAW R5 DR is more than fine if Clog3 brings it there (as I expect) then I really don't see why people would complain.... 

Wow, this is an awesome update and fairly un-Canon of Canon. The two headline features for me are:

1. Cinema RAW Light
  2. CLOG3 in 4K modes.

I would like more tests on the differences of CLOG and CLOG3 on R5. Even in slashcams test image with the clouds the difference is slight but noticeable and takes away some of the video look. Would have liked to see a full stop improvement but I'll take it! I've mode in most cases, when shooting in 4KHQ mode, you can lift shadows and midtones with very little problems in the final image, so in some cases I expose for the highlights and lift in post and it looks really good. I wouldn't do that in RAW or non HQ modes though. The 8K -> 4K oversample really squashes noise and makes it super fine grained.

29 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

I wouldn't do that in RAW or non HQ modes though. 

Why not in RAW? I think most people that use RAW they then deliver in 4k anyway so you get the same benefits but you can control how much NR is applied compared to CLog that has some NR going on. Depending if I punch in or not I do apply more or less NR.....

11 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Why not in RAW? I think most people that use RAW they then deliver in 4k anyway so you get the same benefits but you can control how much NR is applied compared to CLog that has some NR going on. Depending if I punch in or not I do apply more or less NR.....

I always like to overexpose RAW just a bit. Not saying you can't.

After a quick test mid-morning before work...

I'm pretty happy with having CLOG3. It gives a slight bump in DR and if I protect highlights a bit and just bump midtones up slightly the image looks really nice. This is with Canons R5 CLOG3 corrective LUT.

Really, really interested in RAW light and creating a workflow for that.

Only issue I've encountered, and maybe I'm just dumb, is that it looks like Zebra 1+2 goes away in CLOG3 mode? I only have one set up zebras...

I assume these lighter codecs for 4k still are 4:2:2 and not 4:2:0? I was hoping the 1.3 firmware would give 4:2:0 as an option. I prefer 4:2:0 as it is much easier to edit. Especially interested in this for 4k 120p.

53 minutes ago, ajay said:

I assume these lighter codecs for 4k still are 4:2:2 and not 4:2:0? I was hoping the 1.3 firmware would give 4:2:0 as an option. I prefer 4:2:0 as it is much easier to edit. Especially interested in this for 4k 120p.

I agree it would have been cool to have a 10bit  4:2:0 option