Some time with the SLR Magic Anamorphot 1.33x - 50

Sean Cunningham

Rich, they're not taking any of that into account.  They see 1.33x and it's nothing but hate.  And any separation from the background just means faster lenses if you're removing bokeh distortion from the equation.  One can't rationally slam a higher compression format for lack of bokeh distortion and then exempt a lesser compression format with even less distortion from similar criticism.  That's simply arbitrary rationalization on their part.  It's not against the law though and certainly not the most foul thing you find rampant on the internets.

But, besides that unpleasantness, part of what you're observing, for now, is testers are limiting their shots to f/2.8 because results are so dependent on the taking lens design.  Both stop and focal length are generally being picked in fairly conservative ranges (though still better than was usable on previous 1.33x adapters), so that prospective customers don't get an unrealistic impression of what they can expect.  That's part of the reason I didn't shoot anything on my 105mm Nikkor, though translated to anamorphic 35mm equivalency this isn't a focal length that's on my priority list.

For instance, that F. Zuiko 50mm (82mm for ana-35mm) of mine on its own isn't really sharp and free of issues until f/4 and at f/2.8 it's usable with the Anamorphot but not as sharp as I'd like.  It'll eventually be moved to my "spherical only" set for the time being.  Since acquiring it I'd boxed up my Nikkor 50mm and put it in storage but now I want to dig it out and compare it.  

I can tell you my 35mm Nikkor (~57mm) has workable focus at f/1.4 and at that stop the only problems that are present are from the Nikkor itself, which, like the F.Zuiko, has coma and low contrast ( the low contrast may or may not be objectionable).

My 24mm is good at f/2.8 and workable at f/2 but that's still more stopped down than I want to be, so I'll be on the hunt for a 24/25mm that is good at at least f/1.7 or f/1.8 which would correspond to a decent stop at 40mm.  All of these equivalencies and stops could shift, however, depending on when or whether I upgrade camera anytime soon.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

when someone says movie i think of movie.

i repeat nobody is gonna make a movie motion picture with this new optic.

why would you.

it does not make any sense.

if your making a 1000 dollar movie ok maybe.

but that is not gonna be a film a movie a motion picture.

that is gonna be a you tube clip.

I'm not sure your thinking movie is in any way relevent. Have you even tried it? The adapter is a very acceptable piece of glass that relies almost exclusively on the look of the taking lens. Put on some stellar optics, and the Anamorphot rewards with stellar results.

Test it yourself before blowing FUD. With a script, some money and a great taking lens, you absolutely could shoot an indie movie that would be worthy of the best art houses.

stonecold

you do it numbnuts shoot something amazin

a test perhaps.

blow us all away cowboy.

watch out for that broke back flare tex they are pig ugly.

my point is simple if you are making a movie and have funding why go this route it brings nothing does not add only takes away.

stonecoldcorpse

you do it numbnuts shoot something amazin

blow us all away cowboy.

watch out for that broke back flare tex they are pig fugly.

Oh my, what a silly little man.

Funny realy.

Like all cowards, when confronted with your ignorance you reply with child-like gibberish hoping the response gets you out of the hole you keep digging for yourself.

Watch out for the earth coming down on top of you. Dead and buried.....

In the meantime sunshine, give us some more comedy. I'm bored today.

stonecold why the tough words you do not need them upload a clip.

i see you have made a new old friend with rocky roads sean 2 texan cowboyz how nice.

you should adopt obarmy allows transgender cowboys  to adopt and some new kids just been stolen from ukraine.

make a broke back anamorphot video darling.

i look forward to you burying me faggot : )

Just ordered one.  One day shipping, should be in Florida tomorrow and Panama I'd say Monday or Tuesday.  They are weirdly in stock at Adorama, with SLR Magic still taking paypal preorders for end of April.  Not sure what is up with that, hope I'm getting the right thing, haha.  Look forward to extensive testing in the run-up to the feature.

I'd call Adorama and get a human to verify that they do have them in stock and you weren't caught in a catalog glitch.  I've never bought from them but I've had that happen with another online retailer whose online catalog was guilty of "wishful thinking".  It resulted in my order being delayed even further than expected.