Dilemma between Panasonic Primes ?.

iosman

Hello,

I'm trying to decide between the Pancake 20mm F1.7 or the Leica 25mm F1.4...

I know right, I don't owner either of these two lovely lens.. I may end up getting both in the end, but because have to buy one at a time, I ned to choose between them..

I'm slightly leaning towards the 25mm Leica, because of it's name, the nano lens that 20mm does not have, and F1.4 vs. F1.7...

However SO many more people own the 20mm F1.7 and it may be because its cheaper.. at about $356 vs. $500...

Any one have some nice photo shots of the 25mm leica and 20mm pancake? Would like to compare them through images..

Also the Panasonic Fisheye is a bit expensive, and the Panasonic 14mm F2.5 Prime pancake looks nice, wish the aperture was bigger.. I would get the Noktor 12mm T1.6 before the 14mm.

thanks

alexsunny

Flickr is probably your best bet at seeing lots of images from both lenses, plus they'll be in higher resolution (from stills) so you can see the nuance without trying to "see through" the YT compression.

I haven't owned either, but both have good reputations, so I'd suggest that you go with the one that best suits the artistic and aesthetic requirements of your work.  The best lens in the world used on the wrong project will hurt rather than help the creative vision of the piece, so it's all about having the right tool for the job.

Is the 20mm a great video lens though?    I seem to remember having issues with it even for stills with AFC (fine for AFS though).      It was a while ago i had it though and I may be misremembering.    I would opt for the 25 if you have the budget and the focal length suits but have never tried that one.

AFC on the 20mm pancake is slow and noisy (I own one).

Have you considered the cheap but good Panasonic 25mm F1.7?

At the wide end, Samyang/Rokinon do an inexpensive all-manual 12mm F2.

There are also 12, 17 & 25 mm Olympus primes, but no personal experience of those.

10 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

Have you considered the cheap but good Panasonic 25mm F1.7?

I was just about to suggest the same thing! It's definitely a great budget option, punching well above its price point. 

• 1 month later...

I got the Panasonic 25mm 1.7 for 140 USD. It's focusing motor is good (the problem is the cameras focusing). The manual focus is terrible, but so is the 20mm (not sure about the 25mm Leica).

If you want better manual focus I would recommend the Olympus f1.2 lenses. I've got the 17mm one, which had great reviews. The reviews of the Olympus 25mm 1.2 were not as good though. 

It doesn't really make sense to get both the 20mm and 25mm. It would be better to switch one of them for a 17 or 45mm.