Upgrading to an... older camera

yiomo

2 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

I didn't realize the Sony F3 was almost the weight of a RED, a bit lighter. 5 pounds is a good weight though I think. Definitely helps to having something DSLR size for one man crew stuff though.

The Sony PMW-F3 is waaaaaaaaay lighter than it's nearest (in terms of price) RED! (that is, the RED ONE MX)

I'd shot a little with the RED ONE, and that experience was one of the factors which made me in the end lean towards getting a Sony PMW-F3 instead. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, IronFilm said:

The Sony PMW-F3 is waaaaaaaaay lighter than it's nearest (in terms of price) RED! (that is, the RED ONE MX)

I'd shot a little with the RED ONE, and that experience was one of the factors which made me in the end lean towards getting a Sony PMW-F3 instead. 

The RED one is a heavy guy. The Next up Scarlet MX is much more manageable though. No ND filters or high ISO performance either but REDraw is very nice to work with. 

If you could buy a RED Scarlet MX (that's a complete & working kit) for the same price as a Sony PMW-F3, then I'd have considered it?

But 7yrs+ ago, the Scarlet MX cost waaaaaaaay more than what I paid for a Sony F3! Still does cost a lot more than the going price for an F3. 

With the cost difference in 2021, you could easily buy a Sony FS7 / F5 instead of a Scarlet MX. You might even have enough left over cash to pick up an a7S secondhand too. 

40 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

If you could buy a RED Scarlet MX (that's a complete & working kit) for the same price as a Sony PMW-F3, then I'd have considered it?

But 7yrs+ ago, the Scarlet MX cost waaaaaaaay more than what I paid for a Sony F3! Still does cost a lot more than the going price for an F3. 

With the cost difference in 2021, you could easily buy a Sony FS7 / F5 instead of a Scarlet MX. You might even have enough left over cash to pick up an a7S secondhand too. 

Yeah the MX is a bit outdated. However if you want RED its a very affordable option and the body itself is light enough not to hold you up too much in any given situation. 

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

However got all the frame rate / cropping limitations of the Scarlet. Even at a "cheap" price I struggle to find it appealing to buy. 

True, I will say the image looks beautiful even at 3k 60fps. I was never impressed by the specs but I can't deny the image just works as long as you aren't shooting with tungsten lighting.