Give to client editable edited project?

Aquilasfx

Hello,

I have a client that asked me an interview video, that is going to be used for internal use (promotional tutorial video sent by email to other clients).

Now the problem is that this client asked me to receive after we will make this video an editable copy of the edited video. Because they will want probably to use different captions for different languages.

Do you think that I have to charge for this?

Or I can give this editable file to them without charging?

Any other solution/suggestion?

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Is it just a straight up interview with not cuts or anything?

If you have edited the file with b-roll and music etc. I wouldn't give them the raw footage without negotiating a fee. If it's just a single interview clip, then why not just give it to them?

Unless otherwise specified I always give my clients a ProRes file of the final edit and a web friendly MP4. If they want to put captions on the Prores and then send it to their granny, I don't mind. They've paid for a product, the video, so give that to them.

9 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Is it just a straight up interview with not cuts or anything?

If you have edited the file with b-roll and music etc. I wouldn't give them the raw footage without negotiating a fee. If it's just a single interview clip, then why not just give it to them?

Unless otherwise specified I always give my clients a ProRes file of the final edit and a web friendly MP4. If they want to put captions on the Prores and then send it to their granny, I don't mind. They've paid for a product, the video, so give that to them.

Hello Anaconda,

I will shot 5 mins of internal use video (tutorial video that they are going to use by sending it to users of different countries for training). I will shot with 2 camera (one with a slider and one static), edited with music. They asked to an edited version of the video, probably because as I said, they would let different local teams of that client to modify captions by themselves.

Do you think that I could give only a pre-comp timeline with a srt over to be modified? Or I give the product without ask for this extra cost?

1 minute ago, Anaconda_ said:

Give them the edited version, in a format that will let them add the captions - ProRes instead of h264 for example. Let them work out the captions. I wouldn't make a project file for them.

So, basically an exported video in prores with an srt file that they can edit? Without giving the cutted timeline with transictions music ecc footage?

1 minute ago, Anaconda_ said:

Yeah. 

Did you have to make an srt to begin with? Captioning takes quite a bit of time, so if you're only making it as a second thought, let them do it.

If you have to make captions in one language anyway, then yeah, send them one they can edit.

Ok, I think they asked for an editable timeline for what I understood. I don't think they asked when they said "editable" for only the video with lossless codec as prores. Don't you think?

8 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Depends who they are, where you are, how you transfer the material, how much you've charged them already, what their budget is, how much extra you want, how much you'd like to work with them again and 100 other things.

I meant in percentage of the cost of the editing? Because I put in the cost estimation the fee of the editing, and that after the first modification included I will charge an extra 20%. I also put that for structural changes the cost has to be rearranged depending on the time spent. I don't want that they are asking eventually for the timeline for skipping to pay these extra costs... not only for changing captions.

Otherwise I could make a pre-comp prores timeline with only the music and eventually the srt file...