Canon FD 50mm problem with follow focus

bluefonia

I just got a new Fotga DP500 2S follow focus including rails. Everything about it feels and functions very smooth with all my lenses except my Canon FD 50mm 1.4.

When using this lens with the Fotga the result is some rather "wobbly" footage. On the footage it looks like the Canon when turned is not centered precise, - object are moving a bit up and down and from side to side. I have made many different adjustments to the setup with no luck. Focus by hand with out follow focus works fine. 

As mentioned before when using my other lenses with the Fotga - and the same gear/gearing - I don't have any problems at all.

Just wondered if the Canon FD lenses in general are too "flabby" to be used with a follow focus or I just have a flabby one or maybe something else?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

the lens is moving thats what is causing your wobble , I have the same problems with some lenses especially long lenses

you have not said what camera you are using

micro 4/3 cameras are all rubbish with follow focus as the mount diameter is so small and the lens can move up down left right once you impart a force on it from the follow focus

Ive had nightmares with micro 4/3 and follow focus all different bands

Canon EF is wider diameter and Ive had more luck with Follow Focus on this mount - my Black Magic EF mount rig is very stable.

Thanks, Andy.

I'm using a micro 4/3 - Panasonic G6. Does not sound too good if follow focusing on this format in general is troublesome.

I have not used my follow focus that much yet, but for now it seems to be only the Canon FD 50mm that causes this problem. Initial my Sigma  DN 19mm and Walimex 85mm/1.4 works flawless with the follow focus.

I have a lens support on my rails and I made a test using that on the FD. It was somewhat tricky to setup as the lens is rather small/short. It helped but I need some further adjusting and testing. I'm afraid though that it will not solve the problem 100%.

In a few days I'm getting two Yashica lenses - a 35mm/2.8 and 50mm/1.7.  I'm excited to see how they perform with the follow focus, - and how they perform overall.

I have the fotga DP500 2 QR, which is very similar to yours, with fotga rails and base, and have had similar problems with my gh2 due to the following;

The locking nob on the quick release had to be tightened with pliers (not too firmly) a few times to help it seat itself properly on the rails for a tight fit. The same thing with the locking nob underneath that tightens the slide arrangemnt, and I also rubbed the rails lightly with emery paper.

Make sure the adjustable gear belt isn't too tight around the lens as this changes the gear pitch enough to cause grief.

When I use MD lenses I have had to make adjustments to the md to m/43 adapters as they were too sloppy and moved around a lot, and if the lens breathed it exaggerated the situation, and the gh2 mount is a bit sloppy anyway. 

The first time I put a matte box on I had to raise the base a bit, and by raising the lens I started getting better results.

I presume you're using a lens adapter for the 50mm on the g6, so that's the first thing i'd be looking at for play.