NEED HELP

Ben J.

Question, so I work for a paintball company and I need to know what would be the best protection for my camera on a glidecam getting shots of the action? I know people will say, just film it from far away, but I want the audience to feel the rush of the paintball players. I don't have much of a choice anyways.

I've already found a front lens protector possibly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g3J-YpwzHw 

Now just trying to figure out how to protect the body of the camera and lens. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Are you shooting real games or staged?

Can you wear high vis so at least nobody purposefully shoots at you?

You could try one of those bags for snorkeling. Then you don't have to worry about paint getting in the camera.

If you're worried about impact damage, you could put some socks or something inside the bag.

45 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Are you shooting real games or staged?

Can you wear high vis so at least nobody purposefully shoots at you?

You could try one of those bags for snorkeling. Then you don't have to worry about paint getting in the camera.

If you're worried about impact damage, you could put some socks or something inside the bag.

I guess we could make it staged, but I still would want them shooting. I want to make it feel like its real and not staged. I saw some shots from the previous videographer who worked for them and it was very obvious that it was staged. Maybe not to the untrained eye, but to me it was very easy to spot. I'm thinking of using this, but trying to see if there is a more affordable option. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1608185-REG/ikelite_71475_200dl_underwater_housing_for.html

24 minutes ago, Ben J. said:

I'm thinking of using this, but trying to see if there is a more affordable option. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1608185-REG/ikelite_71475_200dl_underwater_housing_for.html

An underwater housing seems like overkill for your purpose.

A rain cover and a strong lens filter might be better and easier.  If you are concerned about damage from the impact force of the paint balls, you could try an insulated rain cover.

8 minutes ago, Ben J. said:

Yeah but would that mess up the balance of the gimbal? 

When you said "Glidecam," I got the impression that you were using a Steadicam type rig -- not an electronic gimbal.

Furthermore, a solid underwater housing might be too much for a gimbal.

21 minutes ago, tupp said:

When you said "Glidecam," I got the impression that you were using a Steadicam type rig -- not an electronic gimbal.

Furthermore, a solid underwater housing might be too much for a gimbal.

Well I meant either. I prefer using a gimbal but with the water housing that obviously would be too big or most likely cause problems, hence using a glidecam; I meant either one.

26 minutes ago, Ben J. said:

Well I meant either. I prefer using a gimbal but with the water housing that obviously would be too big or most likely cause problems, hence using a glidecam; I meant either one.

Use the Glidecam with a rain cover and keep all flaps on the rain cover tucked-in (or use tape).  Should be okay.

Another option is to use a heavy, clear freezer bag around the camera, with the opening taped to the lens hood.

7 minutes ago, tupp said:

Use the Glidecam with a rain cover and keep all flaps on the rain cover tucked-in (or use tape).  Should be okay.

Another option is to use a heavy, clear freezer bag around the camera, with the opening taped to the lens hood.

Gotcha, so you think that would be enough to prevent paint from getting in and keep the camera from getting damage from force impact?

20 minutes ago, Ben J. said:

Gotcha, so you think that would be enough to prevent paint from getting in and keep the camera from getting damage from force impact?

If you wrap your rain cover properly, you shouldn't have to worry about paint getting in.

In regards to the impact, I don't know anything about the force of paint ball guns.  If you don't use an insulated (padded) rain cover, you could tape pieces of foam sheet onto vulnerable areas on the camera and then put on the rain cover/bag.

You could also run some impact tests with a paint gun, rain cover, foam pads and a wine glass.

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

This is a good suggestion.  A snorkel bag is usually very thick plastic/vinyl.  Just substitute taped foam pads for socks!

Idk... I would just stage most of it and then create money shots using a tripod/slider combo with a thick piece of plexiglass attached via rails so you can slide forward as someone shoots the plexiglass.

Remember to get coverage... if you're shooting profile shots, the action and the paintballs can be real. If you're in the middle of the action, just pretend that they're shooting. Get cans of fog to disorient the action. Get a bunch of different shots using the slider/plexiglass combo so you can intercut them with the wider action.

With the magic of editing... dissolves, normal/slow motion, etc... it should cut together fine and you'll have the perception of reality.

You could also attach the barrel of a paintball gun under the camera, for some shots, for a video game type of POV shot.

Hope that helps and good luck with your shoot. 

When protecting from impact damage, the goals are to spread out the impact force over time, and over a larger area.  This is why cars now have "crumple zones" and airbags.

Spreading it out over time means having thicker padding, and over a larger area also kind of comes with the thicker padding, but could also be done via some sections of thick cardboard placed over any particularly sensitive areas.

Considering that weight is a consideration, either for the gimbal or just you having to carry it, I'd suggest some lightweight foam, with some thick cardboard over any more sensitive areas (like maybe the rear screen, etc) and put it all in the rain cover which will protect from any paint being splattered or dripping into the camera.

In addition to what @mercer said, you should also get a few action cameras, put them in their waterproof housings, mount one as a helmet cam, one has a chest cam, and maybe one somewhere else, then just have everyone go nuts in shooting and run through the middle going from hiding place to hiding place.  Film that in 120p and you'll have lots of close, slow-mo, wide angle "it feels like you're in the middle of it", shaky action footage.

Shots like that can be great in the edit.

To add... I've never used a gimbal... but plexiglass isn't that heavy so you may be able to use a small set of rails and the plexiglass and it will still balance on the gimbal. Of course you'd still probably want to stage those shots, so they're shooting at your from in front. 

@kye made a great point regarding action cams for different POV shots or even as cameras strewn about the battlefield.

You could even mess around with the shutter speeds to give a Saving Private Ryan feel to the battles.

It sounds like a fun gig... have fun with it... but don't bust up your camera for it... paintballs can sting.

Create the perception of reality. 

And finally... if you want to do it live and capture the action while in the middle of it... a face shield for woodworking is probably both strong and light enough if you can figure out a way to rig it up. It will also slightly curve around your camera to protect a little from the side.