Exclusive Q&A with Kinefinity's Jihua Zheng on the 6K KineMAX and new 4K KineMINI

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
6K KIneMax resolutionKinefinity KineMAX

The KineMAX is a Super 35mm raw shooting 6K camera with 14 stops dynamic range, increasing to 16 stops in 3K mode, native ISO is 800. Impressive. I contacted Jihua of Kinefinity recently to talk about a few remaining questions I had on the recently announced KineMAX as well as the updated lower end model, now dubbed KineMINI.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Televisions and screens in general have reached and surpassed the size of big prints. If photographers are not accepting below 6-7-8k why should we accept 2 megapixels being projected on a 60inch screen?

I think the resolution push toward 4k and 6k were really needed and will improve greatly our content and viewing experience.

Please help me with this: I am interested in ordering KineMINI 4K camera. I am located is Slovakia, central EU. I was checking the prices at your German distributor's website HDVideoshop.com and they are very different from the prices at your official site kinefinity.com.

For example:
KineMINI basic bundle + 4K option + High Speed option at Kinefinity.com costs $5337 = €3952 (€4702 incl. 19% VAT)

The same configuration at HDVideoshop.com currently costs €4597 (€5470 incl. 19% VAT)

Or another example (my preferred configuration that I would like to order in the future):
KineMINI body only + 4K option + High speed option + Handgrip + AC cable at Kinefinity.com costs $4975 = €3610 (€4295 incl. 19% VAT)

This very same configuration at HDVideoshop.com is €4405 (€5242 incl. 19% VAT).

That is around €1000 difference between the Kinefinity.com and HDVideoshop.com prices.

Please help me clarify this as soon as possible. If the prices at Kinefinity official website are correct (after conversion from $USD to €EUR), and no other import tax beside shipping will be applied, I would seriously consider ordering until the reduced prices are available!
What's the catch here?

Please help me with this: I am interested in ordering KineMINI 4K camera. I am located is Slovakia, central EU. I was checking the prices at your German distributor's website HDVideoshop.com and they are very different from the prices at your official site kinefinity.com.

For example:
KineMINI basic bundle + 4K option + High Speed option at Kinefinity.com costs $5337 = €3952 (€4702 incl. 19% VAT)

The same configuration at HDVideoshop.com currently costs €4597 (€5470 incl. 19% VAT)

Or another example (my preferred configuration that I would like to order in the future):
KineMINI body only + 4K option + High speed option + Handgrip + AC cable at Kinefinity.com costs $4975 = €3610 (€4295 incl. 19% VAT)

This very same configuration at HDVideoshop.com is €4405 (€5242 incl. 19% VAT).

That is around €1000 difference between the Kinefinity.com and HDVideoshop.com prices.

Please help me clarify this as soon as possible. If the prices at Kinefinity official website are correct (after conversion from $USD to €EUR), and no other import tax beside shipping will be applied, I would seriously consider ordering until the reduced prices are available!
What's the catch here?

Buy from hdvideoshop and your're paying for a European supplier,  they will have taken care of import duty so you don't have to.  buy from China and if you get hit with import duty you'll be hit a lot harder.  This is assuming Slovakian import duty is as much of a criminal offense as here in the UK! - add 25% or more from anything out of the EU it seems here

43-660x371.jpg50-660x371.jpg

The KineMAX is a Super 35mm raw shooting 6K camera with 14 stops dynamic range, increasing to 16 stops in 3K mode, native ISO is 800. Impressive. I contacted Jihua of Kinefinity recently to talk about a few remaining questions I had on the recently announced KineMAX as well as the updated lower end model, now dubbed KineMINI.

Read the full article here

These cameras look very exciting, and are far more enticing than the flagship Blackmagic model.

I have been watching this company very closely being a new camera company, and the innovations they offer are just what I need. 

I'm more interested in the Mini. If the overall quality stacks up, if I have the money they have an order from me. 

Some people have mentioned they think the quality is poor on these cameras. If you go to Kinefinity's website and look for "Videos Shot on KineRaw'....the quality capability is very high and very beautiful.

Other videos out there showing footage from the earlier cameras have been shot poorly, very rushed, and don't show what the cameras can do whatsoever. 

Looking forward to some skilled, non-lazy footage on these cameras, showing the 100fps, dynamic range and skin tones. 

• Administrators

Televisions and screens in general have reached and surpassed the size of big prints. If photographers are not accepting below 6-7-8k why should we accept 2 megapixels being projected on a 60inch screen?

I think the resolution push toward 4k and 6k were really needed and will improve greatly our content and viewing experience.

Completely agree!

Does anyone know anyone that actually owns one of these cameras?

I don't know anyone who does, or know of any name that has created something decent with them (besides the filmmakers who made Journey Of Love) featured on the website. They desperately need more skilled content to show what the cameras can do, which I'm sure they must of sorted pre-NAB. 

I hope people support kinefinity.. I'd be interested in buying something from them but I don't need anything at the moment... Maybe in the not too distant future..

Would help if they were actually available in Europe/USA, and if they did some marketing/support in those regions. Right now if you want to know something about those camera's you have to read it on EOSHD, instead of finding it on their own website. Right now I can't even reach the website. This kinda makes me feel they aren't really interested in those markets, probably they can sell enough in China for now anyway. They seem to have the product to make a big worldwide boom, maybe not the manpower/production capability.

Anyway, 6K raw must be hell to work with. Even at 2:1 compression, what kinda datarates are we talking here? At least 225MB/s = 13GB/minute I suppose?

I reckon the 6k spec could be a clever marketing ploy to grab some much needed attention at NAB and beyond. (as well as a monster feature for resolution.) They will grab some headlines for sure (and some dealers!).

The cameras do cater for Europe at HD Videoshop in Berlin. You can pre-order them now. 

I don't know anyone who does, or know of any name that has created something decent with them (besides the filmmakers who made Journey Of Love) featured on the website. They desperately need more skilled content to show what the cameras can do, which I'm sure they must of sorted pre-NAB. 

must HAVE sorted.      Just doing my bit to preserve the language.

Word.