Black magic 6k reliability question

Rob6

5 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

Have been using Samsung T5's since getting my Tilta cage for the P4K when it was first released. I chose the Tilta cage because it had, by far, the best cable system for USB-C and HDMI compared to ever other cage. My P4K has been used on major car ads mounted to vehicles, used in long form dramas and TVC's mounted to jibs, cranes, gimbals and used on docs in some rough and tumble environments.

Never had a single issue with any of the 4 500GB Samsung T5's I've got. (touch wood!)

Reliability wise, I have owned the P4K since it's release and received one of the first units and the only issue I had was a buzz in the audio when the camera was providing phantom power to the XLR port. BMD fixed this under warranty.

great to hear you had a good experience!  I was using the Tilta cage also, had a couple of there locked in cables go bad within a year. Understandably, i really have a hard time trusting there products; I also have had other Tilta products with QC issues such as the Cage itself, T5 holder screw and a bad DC-Weipu cable. support was also non existent. It’s a shame because there design and ideas were so good! 
Anyway I ended up purchasing 3 Tilta cables and 2 SSD holders within a year. Would have saved money to go with Cfast earlier... although my shoots rarely need over 500gb but I get the allure of 1TB drives for £100

as for the BM... I’ve found that when you get a good unit it’s rock solid! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Not saying buying a Blackmagic is a bad thing, I've got one myself! Have rented them too. And worked on many many many MANY shoots with BMD cameras. 

But I am saying, that I bet there is a large overlap between Blackmagic camera buyers and buyers of inappropriately cheap media. 

you could be right. it seems odd to me, as i learned a lesson quite some time ago about cheap media with a different camera. I preordered the p4k and it took about 5 months for mine to arrive. Which probably gave me additional time to research things abit. So i had a samsung t5 before the p4k arrived.

When purchasing a camera surely you'd also look at media requirements ?

Having said that i did still stick some other cards in it to see what i could get away with.  I guess there's always a tendency for people  to cheap out, if you already have some media.

I learned on lower setting some of my cards would work but not at the higher quality. I have yet to try it but i suspect i could also use a cheaper card if i set the p4k to use the timelapse setting of saving a frame out of tenth frame of so. Although using a cheaper card just for a timelapse is kind of  a unique option i think. There could be some merit in using a cheaper card, depending on your situation and budget. it may even be advantageous running one card for timelapsing and a t5 for video. however timelapse is a very small field of people i think and  thats about the only aspect that comes to mind where it would be practical, for me anyway.