Black magic 6k reliability question

Rob6

I know this is not a Black Magic Forum. I’m thinking of getting a black magic 6K or 6k pro as C and D camera for my shoots. I’ve read a couple of places people having their footage corrupted and not recoverable. Is that a common occurrence? I have 2 5D Mark iii and I’ve recorded raw video in 1920 and 3.k crop for many years and never had a bad frame. My FS700 recording to Odyssey 7Q for the past seven years and never had a bad frame. For the Canon C100 I have the same experience - perfect and reliable 100%. Have I just been lucky with my use case or are black magic cameras not very reliable? I really want 6k, but I need reliable. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

I’ve never heard of an issue with file corruption on the P6k. I know a lot of people who use them. The only camera I’ve ever had that issue on was my Panasonic S1 and I’m pretty sure it was due to a bad card. 

Thanks. What cards or media do your friends record to. What brand and size of Cfast? Thanks for the comment!

there's an approved list of cards for cameras here at the bmd forum

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95785#p531283

you can use cheaper cards at some frame rates and quality levels. it tends to be an exercise in frustration figuring what you can get away with. Mind you that was with a p4k The 6k pro probably has higher minimum requirements.

On 3/21/2021 at 7:37 PM, Rob6 said:

Thanks. What cards or media do your friends record to. What brand and size of Cfast? Thanks for the comment!

People who cheap out and buy a Blackmagic camera are also the same people who cheap out on their media... then blame the camera! Thus it is an important question you asked Robert ("what media exactly are they using??"). 

47 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

People who cheap out and buy a Blackmagic camera are also the same people who cheap out on their media...

ease up ironfilms....  a cheap cine camera is not necessarily a bad thing.

in my defense... it was purely for the advancement of scientific knowledge. i already had a t5 before i got my p4k but i wanted to see what i could get away with.

to reiterate, buy approved media save the headaches. 

I see a lot of ups on the samsung T5, but all problems I saw on fb groups are also people who are using samsung T5's. (prolly the T5's are not the problem, but the cable probably gets hit during recording, so you might want to invest in some cage that tightens these connections)

4 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I see a lot of ups on the samsung T5, but all problems I saw on fb groups are also people who are using samsung T5's. (prolly the T5's are not the problem, but the cable probably gets hit during recording, so you might want to invest in some cage that tightens these connections)

To add to this - The cable that comes with the T5 works flawless for me. I've tried other USBc cables, and they gave me issues. So it's not only the media you should look at, but what you're using to connect it to the camera.

4 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

To add to this - The cable that comes with the T5 works flawless for me. I've tried other USBc cables, and they gave me issues. So it's not only the media you should look at, but what you're using to connect it to the camera.

All in all, I would just go with Cfast. Smaller/quicker/safer setup.

On 3/22/2021 at 9:57 PM, leslie said:

ease up ironfilms....  a cheap cine camera is not necessarily a bad thing.

Not saying buying a Blackmagic is a bad thing, I've got one myself! Have rented them too. And worked on many many many MANY shoots with BMD cameras. 

But I am saying, that I bet there is a large overlap between Blackmagic camera buyers and buyers of inappropriately cheap media. 

23 hours ago, JordanWright said:

100% Cfast all the way USBC is unreliable, introduces 3 points of failure 

Have been using Samsung T5's since getting my Tilta cage for the P4K when it was first released. I chose the Tilta cage because it had, by far, the best cable system for USB-C and HDMI compared to ever other cage. My P4K has been used on major car ads mounted to vehicles, used in long form dramas and TVC's mounted to jibs, cranes, gimbals and used on docs in some rough and tumble environments.

Never had a single issue with any of the 4 500GB Samsung T5's I've got. (touch wood!)

Reliability wise, I have owned the P4K since it's release and received one of the first units and the only issue I had was a buzz in the audio when the camera was providing phantom power to the XLR port. BMD fixed this under warranty.