Black Magic Camera over heats and sets camera on fire

andy lee

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

You know what I dislike most of all about when people have their camera explode and make an annoying video like this... they never explain the circumstances. If there is a serious problem, pity Blackmagic trying to find out what caused it! Did he have it plugged in? Was it under hot lights? How old was the camera? Who knows!?

Apparently it's a danger with the technology used in any battery of that type.   It's rare but it happens.  This is the first and possibly only time it's happened with a BMCC so far.  It's being passed around everywhere.  Let's see what BMD's response is.  

I question the motivation behind releasing it without more information.  

You know what I dislike most of all about when people have their camera explode and make an annoying video like this... they never explain the circumstances. If there is a serious problem, pity Blackmagic trying to find out what caused it! Did he have it plugged in? Was it under hot lights? How old was the camera? Who knows!?

No one knows, but that doesn't matter. This is the 'internets.'

Squirrel!

Apparently it's a danger with the technology used in any battery of that type.   It's rare but it happens.  This is the first and possibly only time it's happened with a BMCC so far.  It's being passed around everywhere.  Let's see what BMD's response is.  

I question the motivation behind releasing it without more information.  

The motivations behind cases like this usually boil down to either emotional needs or hidden agendas (personal gain). In this particular case, even though the person behind the video is not a teenager, the core motivation was apparently attention seeking. That would be the most logical explanation, and it is the most common emotional need online. Now he got his 15 minutes.

On the other hand, I question the motivation behind re-sharing a controversial story with caps locks and all, and thus helping in creating yet another false meme. What's the point?

The reasons behind that strange incident are nothing but clear. Even though it appears (according to some speculations) that the battery might not be the reason for the frying, there are still a number of third party variables we know nothing about, including the conditions under which it really happened.

But none of that seem to matter. The story has already gone viral, a number of blog sites are already speculating it, without knowing the facts, other than that the camera burnt out. It may well come down to just one faulty component inside just one unlucky camera unit, it may also come down to less than ideal handling of the camera, or to a combination of several different things, or it may not, we really don't know. 

But who cares, a new internet meme has already born;

"Don't buy a Blackmagic camera, it'll blow up on you and burn your house down."

Well done.

We warned you kids this could happen! Told you, we did! 'Constant RAW recording is too much data being transferred', we said! But you couldn't resist. Alas, NOW look where your greed has gotten you. Wannabe filmmakers everywhere will be burned and scarred. This epidemic shall spread. This is the end! Your need for RAW will bring about your RUIN!

Long live ProRes and H.264! May they forever stand! 

i am often concerned by how warm the pocket gets.  in order for this type of heat to be generated so quickly I imagine the battery is being drawn at much too high output currents - way more than the nikon cameras the batteries are running from.

I find this video ridiculous though.  

1.  I doubt any flames were present.

2. would you not think to remove the ssd and the lens?

3.  what type of wimp runs out before ensuring the fire is extinguished?  I'd have carried the camera out of the building at arms length via the tripod.  

4. looks to me like a lame attempt to get more hits on their crappy kickstarter project. 

• Administrators

I am amazed what other blogs (PetaPixel, Planet5D) consider as front page news.

This kind of stuff generates clicks. Brain dead, but it is click bate nonetheless. That makes money in the long run.

I am so sick of this kind of gimmicky, zero fact or imagination based click bate.

I hope Blackmagic refuse to replace the camera on principal. The guys posting this have lost Blackmagic business and it might not even have been a legitimate battery fault.

i am often concerned by how warm the pocket gets.  in order for this type of heat to be generated so quickly I imagine the battery is being drawn at much too high output currents - way more than the nikon cameras the batteries are running from.

As far as I've understood, the BMPCC is using a peltier cooling system, which uses a lot of battery power, but the heat is dissipated into the camera body via the cooling element, it's not the battery that generates the heat. So the body getting pretty warm at times is normal.

In theory a component breaking inside that cooling system could possibly cause problems. But it's pointless to speculate, as we really don't know anything. It could still be a number of reasons. 

This kind of stuff generates clicks. Brain dead, but it is click bate nonetheless. That makes money in the long run.

It's the 2010's, and the whole mainstream media has become brain dead. Click baiting and copy&paste journalism are the new normal. 

Atleast Petapixels comment section was way smarter than the forum posts here. Refusal to replace a camera because a video has been uploaded to youtube would just be stupid beyond belief. Beyond.

Oh come on, don't join yet another internet lynch mob, and help propagating yet another pointless (and often purposeful) internet meme. Let's not be played by yet another silly distraction for all the wrong reasons. This isn't worth it. 

There are at least two sides to this story, too, and we don't really know either of them. All we know that a camera started (apparently) overheating for some unknown reason, that's all. What BM will or won't do as a consequence is none of our worries. Some (now viral) online video won't make it our business. People were criticising the uploading of that video without all the facts, and the way the controversial video now gets promoted online as "news." It has nothing to do with BM per se. 

So let's move along, shall we.

Many of you haven't seen the positive in this. Blackmagic will clearly find the reason why the batteries could explode and improve the QC in future cameras.

Professional cameras used in a professional environment should be able to withstand the rigours of professional shooting, whether thats under hot studio lights or on top of a cold mountain side. Obviously if you shoot inside a volcano or in the bath, there could be an issue  ;)

If it was the fault of the user however, then well, s*** happens! However thats unlikely. Something on the rig caused it, the camera itself or the battery pack. Or the power of the filmmakers minds!  :ph34r: