Firmware update turns Panasonic S1 into an S1H (albeit with record-time limit in demanding modes like 6K)

Andrew Reid

On 4/21/2021 at 7:03 AM, Parker said:

What raw controla did you feel like you were missing out on? I haven't used pro Res raw on an actual project yet, and have just shot a few random little test clips, but fcp has white balance, iso and exposure control, isn't that the trifecta? 

I guess some sort of highlight recovery mode like resolve has would be pretty cool. 

Yeah, well resolve has a whole slew of controls in the raw adjustment settings area, you could do a complete grade just from that one section, contrast, shadow/highlight recovery, WB, saturation.

FCP offers WB and exposure adjustment. Everything else needs a plug-in added to adjust. And the raw adjust is in the footage’s info section, and you can’t copy it from one clip to the next, the whole thing just doesn’t seem all that intuitive.

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Didn’t the 4/3 line get an AF tweak also very recently?

Maybe/hopefully something there also as that’s about all that would interest me.

Working with raw (video that is, for stills, always) is a bit above my pay grade and needs.

But then having said that, I will consider anything if I think it will add some kind of value.

That'd be an awesome update for the S1. I've been shooting lots of Pro Res Raw over the last couple weeks and have been really enjoying it, Braw would be the icing on the cake for resolve users. I bought the S1 right after it came out, and it has been so amazing to see the update support Panny has given it. 

BRAW external was only for Panasonic S1H. S1, S1R got ProRes RAW. Now they will get BRAW external similar to S1H. This is great news for Davinci Resolve users like me. It's unbelievable how much Panasonic is giving to us. More than two years after the release they still keep adding valuable features with new firmware. And the prices keep falling. In my country S5 now goes for 1450 Euro and S1 for 1700 Euro. Brand new from the shop. Add 750 Euro for Blakcmagic Video Assist 5G and for 2500 you get full frame 6K BRAW video camera with in body image stabilization,  great EVF, tilting LCD screen, etc. And it is great photo camera as well. Definitely am buying one . The only question is: which one S5 or S1. :)

Ah, I see… Not being an external recorder user, I wasn’t much interested in the last update.

Still not. But that’s fine, everyone’s needs are as individual as they are.

Maybe we’ll get an AF tweak thrown in for the rest of us. Here’s hoping…

6 hours ago, stephen said:

BRAW external was only for Panasonic S1H. S1, S1R got ProRes RAW. Now they will get BRAW external similar to S1H. This is great news for Davinci Resolve users like me. It's unbelievable how much Panasonic is giving to us. More than two years after the release they still keep adding valuable features with new firmware. And the prices keep falling. In my country S5 now goes for 1450 Euro and S1 for 1700 Euro. Brand new from the shop. Add 750 Euro for Blakcmagic Video Assist 5G and for 2500 you get full frame 6K BRAW video camera with in body image stabilization,  great EVF, tilting LCD screen, etc. And it is great photo camera as well. Definitely am buying one . The only question is: which one S5 or S1. 🙂

That's pretty amazing, I am going to have to pick a Ninja V up soon. Too bad the latency sucks. 

On 6/19/2021 at 12:52 AM, MurtlandPhoto said:

Rumor has it that the S1/S1R/S5 will be getting a firmware update next week adding BRAW output from the HDMI port. That to me puts the S line even higher up the list as the best hybrid cameras on the market right now. I'd love to have BRAW out of the USB C port a la the Pocket line though.

I'm going to cheer if Panasonic gives the S1 a firmware update to use BRAW, even if it's just externally. 

Great to have both options now. I just wonder which of the two companies, Atomos or Blackmagic, will be the first to design a product for people that don't want/need a monitor but still want raw. 

Atomos ninja star 2, or new hyperdeck shuttle, recording to sd uhs-ii, cf-express or, better yet, m.2 2242 with caddies, between 100-200 grams, internal battery/usb-c/battery plate/single np-f plate options, minimal OLED screen for settings, 1/4" mounting points, fanless design. Physical buttons, but recording triggered by hdmi.

After using a Samsung T5 on my fp L, I think wouldn't do a set up much bigger. I like to be handheld and a  500-600+ gram monitor plus the framework to hold such a monstrosity (I will never put that kind of weight on a bare hotshoe) is just too much. My Shogun 7" is hardly used anymore. 

I doubt we will see any of these raw formats used internally for a good long while, so this is the only way I think I'd be tempted to get it.

Yeah, I'd be more inclined to get that one than the Ninja. (probably due to BRAW though) On a set or tripod based it's not really an issue for me. It's personal projects or just filming for fun I don't want to put up with the weight. The 12G is still 400g + 2x batteries ~290g= 690g and that's just too much for a hotshoe to accommodate, in my opinion, unless you are keeping everything perfectly upright and straight the whole time, so we need mounting options. I also don't want a flimsy ballhead that doesn't stay straight so a hefty one of those plus a cage or at least a half cage and you're almost at 1kg or more of additional weight. It's like carrying a camera on top of your camera. 

It might work for some, but the same internals, just without any screen could shrink it down to less than half the size and probably consume half the power. Even with the same port selection. 150g body + single battery 145g = around 300g would be around that of a small flash and a much lower center of gravity. Far much more inconspicuous as well.

52 minutes ago, amweber21 said:

Yeah, I'd be more inclined to get that one than the Ninja. (probably due to BRAW though) On a set or tripod based it's not really an issue for me. It's personal projects or just filming for fun I don't want to put up with the weight. The 12G is still 400g + 2x batteries ~290g= 690g and that's just too much for a hotshoe to accommodate, in my opinion, unless you are keeping everything perfectly upright and straight the whole time, so we need mounting options. I also don't want a flimsy ballhead that doesn't stay straight so a hefty one of those plus a cage or at least a half cage and you're almost at 1kg or more of additional weight. It's like carrying a camera on top of your camera. 

It might work for some, but the same internals, just without any screen could shrink it down to less than half the size and probably consume half the power. Even with the same port selection. 150g body + single battery 145g = around 300g would be around that of a small flash and a much lower center of gravity. Far much more inconspicuous as well.

Definitely not ideal for run and gun though its definitely doable. I think I would end up making a rig with a Vmount to power everything. Now its no longer a DSLR looking camera though. 

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

@amweber21 the 5inch BMVA 12G is not too hefty, with the benefit of SDI out to a set monitor for the director. Used prices are around 600USD.

Where do you see em used, can't find any. I noticed in prores RAW the color looks different than in camera VLOG, I wonder how BRAW fares. 

16 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

Where do you see em used, can't find any. I noticed in prores RAW the color looks different than in camera VLOG, I wonder how BRAW fares. 

I've been wondering about this too. Which do you prefer? 

Also do you see more noise in ProRes raw? HEVC feels clean to me but almost too clean. 

1 hour ago, HockeyFan12 said:

I've been wondering about this too. Which do you prefer? 

Also do you see more noise in ProRes raw? HEVC feels clean to me but almost too clean. 

It's definitely noisier. Not sure what's going on with HEVC maybe you just lose some noise due to the compression and loss of fine detail? I use emotive colors Alexa lut all the time and it didn't seem to work with Prores RAW. I want to do more testing with it though, maybe I didn't exposure high enough. Just holding off on which recorder to buy. 

9 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

It's definitely noisier. Not sure what's going on with HEVC maybe you just lose some noise due to the compression and loss of fine detail? I use emotive colors Alexa lut all the time and it didn't seem to work with Prores RAW. I want to do more testing with it though, maybe I didn't exposure high enough. Just holding off on which recorder to buy. 

I think it's the compression. It still looks good but it's very very clean. I wonder if the braw image is different and if there's highlight recovery. 

2 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Definitely not ideal for run and gun though its definitely doable. I think I would end up making a rig with a Vmount to power everything. Now its no longer a DSLR looking camera though. 

Yeah, I've been there owning various Ninjas and the original video assist 5" and 7", but all for shoulder rigs, where I didn't mind the size and weight and actually needed the monitoring function to view. And used anton bauer batteries to power the rig.

The Sigma fp L has spoiled me for being the smallest raw capable setup I own. Something that I can use my S1 with it's IBIS and keep it small all while shooting raw, would be perfect for me. 

I think the other problem is I know both must be working on something with the age of their recorders. Something more sleek and power efficient, smaller bezels, and smaller media type (at least for Atomos). The Ninja V+ went the opposite direction, but here's hoping there's something else coming.