Sony Semiconductor Readies a Wave of New Stacked Sensors

androidlad

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
34 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Means faster readout, it is different to BSI tech

Much less rolling shutter I presume?

Exmor RS is BSI and stacked.

Faster readout because logic layer is now a whole dedicated layer (stacked), so more room for a substantial amount of low powered ADC working concurrently. Also DRAM can be stacked on an additional layer, but DRAM is not usable for video mode. 

15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

GH6 here we come...

My hope here (expectation, actually) is that Panasonic will go with their own organic sensors for their next wave of releases (post-Japan-Olympics) with a line of 8K/wide-DR/high-ISO/global-shutter cameras (yes, MFT, too). Quite frankly, the market could use some better sensor differentiation, IMHO, and I'd love to see Panasonic and Nikon and Sigma succeed in bringing their own sensor technology to market each for their own unique imaging characteristics. Sony can continue to sell their sensors to the upstarts (like Z-Cam) and stay in the green. Time to move this market forward...again, IMHO.

On 3/15/2021 at 6:08 PM, Jimmy G said:

My hope here (expectation, actually) is that Panasonic will go with their own organic sensors for their next wave of releases (post-Japan-Olympics) with a line of 8K/wide-DR/high-ISO/global-shutter cameras (yes, MFT, too). Quite frankly, the market could use some better sensor differentiation, IMHO, and I'd love to see Panasonic and Nikon and Sigma succeed in bringing their own sensor technology to market each for their own unique imaging characteristics. Sony can continue to sell their sensors to the upstarts (like Z-Cam) and stay in the green. Time to move this market forward...again, IMHO.

Couldn't agree more.  

I asked the question in another thread and the response was overwhelmingly that the sensors don't matter, and yet, I'm sitting here after grading another test from the Micro and wondering what everyone else is smoking.  I think unless you've graded ML, P2K/Micro footage, or Alexa footage, you probably just don't know what difference it really makes.  

I've felt like I was fighting with the footage from my various ill-suited cameras, then I got the GH5 and felt like I wasn't fighting with it anymore.  The thing is that there's a big difference between not fighting, and the feeling where the footage just comes alive as you adjust things in post, but where instead of there being a sweet spot where things look right, everything looks right but different and the sweet spot just looks spectacular.

Panasonic could be the people to finally make the successor to the OG BMPCC...  

On 3/15/2021 at 6:08 AM, Jimmy G said:

My hope here (expectation, actually) is that Panasonic will go with their own organic sensors for their next wave of releases (post-Japan-Olympics) with a line of 8K/wide-DR/high-ISO/global-shutter cameras (yes, MFT, too).

A FF organic sensor S2H could really shake things up but my guess is we will see a S35 Organic Varicam model first after the specialized prototype cameras are possibly used in the olympics.

If Panasonic isn't going to move beyond DfD for their AF they need something else, because buying sensors from Sony that are already in new Sony cameras bodies 4-6 months before anyone else, with awesome AF, decent color, and 3,000 Youtube videos at launch, doesn't leave room for much of a completive edge...

Camera manufactures need something to propel them away from the gaping maw of smartphones photography/video.