Help me on an eBay hunt for 4K under $200 - Is it possible?

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

You mean manufacturers abandoning the format?  I hope it'll find a niche for a long while, even if/when Panasonic leaves it.

Let's just keep it going... sell your m43 stuff NOW! You don't want to lose all that money you put into your "investment". We all know that those once great images that everyone liked in the past will only be considered garbage in the future. It's all about the camera.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
57 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

Let's just keep it going... sell your m43 stuff NOW! You don't want to lose all that money you put into your "investment". We all know that those once great images that everyone liked in the past will only be considered garbage in the future. It's all about the camera.

Why must we always respond in extremes? The camera is the least of my concerns, it's the SYSTEM that I take into consideration more than anything. A camera is like a car, it immediately loses value the second you buy it. That's something you have to accept. 

If you don't view your cameras, lenses, audio gear, etc. as investments that's OK, but I do because they play a vital role in how I make the bulk of my living. For me, running a small business, it does not make sense to remain invested in a system that isn't going to be around in 5 years. I'm jealous of anyone that doesn't have to take that into consideration, but I do because I'd like to maximize what I can get out of one investment when it's time to make a new one. 

Like I said in a previous post, I'd be happy with the GX85, G85 and GH5 kit I've put together if I didn't have to worry about my M43 gear losing value. If a lens I paid $950 for ends up being worth $200 5 years from now because the system is dead, but I could've gotten $500 if I'd sold it a year or two earlier, that's $300 less I have to invest in my business. That might not be much for some but it is for a small business like me and it's something I must take into consideration. 

I wish we could stop looking at things in black and white, and accept that others aren't in the same position as us when mocking the decisions they feel they need to make. 

4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

That's an exception, not the rule. 

I do think it's the way things are at the moment, across all brands.  Prices are going up for these used low-end cams.  The original Andrew challenge was to find a decent 4K camera for $200 --which doesn't seem possible right now.

I would have believed a year ago it would be doable; surprised the prices went north.  The best I could find is a really beat up GX7 'buy-it-now' listed at $190 ($80 shipping) ...and that's a camera with a sensor that's capable of doing 4K, but the camera itself only delivers 1080.  It's a mighty fine 1080, but not 4K.

These are just observations.  I got no real dog in the hunt or desire to be contrarian to other's opinions.

15 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Like I said in a previous post, I'd be happy with the GX85, G85 and GH5 kit I've put together if I didn't have to worry about my M43 gear losing value. If a lens I paid $950 for ends up being worth $200 5 years from now because the system is dead, but I could've gotten $500 if I'd sold it a year or two earlier, that's $300 less I have to invest in my business. That might not be much for some but it is for a small business like me and it's something I must take into consideration. 

My suggestion would be to never buy anything new- you won't lose as much. Just be patient and wait for a good deal to come up. In the end, you'll find you'll lose little to no money on the "investment". Be the guy who gets the awsome deal, not the guy who loses all that money. Just an idea.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

That deal, dear Sir John, is of the rather splendid kind. 🙂 @John Matthews

I challenge that with 1080 60p RAW for under 251! Is it possible?

Yes, it is. I got a second BMMCC body with..., ahem, ahem... without anything else, not even charger nor battery, for 250 EUR, if seller is not a fraud though.

I'll cross my fingers that it's genuine and fully functional.  If it is then that is an absolutely blindingly good price!

7 hours ago, kye said:

I'll cross my fingers that it's genuine and fully functional.  If it is then that is an absolutely blindingly good price!

It's important to note that this was NOT Ebay- you don't find any good deals there anymore. Stopped looking in fact. I can confirm everything is fully functional though. I've already shot a lot on it. Some people just don't know what they have or simply don't care and they unload it. I'm there to pick it up and try to do something fun with it. I often just sell them at a profit when I get bored or want some thing else. I wish I didn't like it, but I do; it's just one of my inner demons.😏

8 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

That deal, dear Sir John, is of the rather splendid kind. 🙂 @John Matthews

I challenge that with 1080 60p RAW for under 251! Is it possible?

Yes, it is. I got a second BMMCC body with..., ahem, ahem... without anything else, not even charger nor battery, for 250 EUR, if seller is not a fraud though.

That's a great! I'm happy for you. I've never had that camera, but I've watched a lot of footage. I usually never see them under 600 euros here and I've always said that if I really wanted a Blackmagic, I'd go for a used Pocket 4k as they only go for about 200 more. Like the GH2, the BMMPC camera is iconic. I end up hanging on to stuff like that because I'm a sucker for that stuff. I still have my 60 Euro special GH2 as a backup live-stream camera for my English classes.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my friends. My second BMMCC is genuie such as its record button is awkwardly shallow and the menu navigation is hillariously awkward. 🙂 It came as body only, no batteries, no charger, nothing, no five headed cable monster neither. So the trick is to figure how much is the 250 or 267 with postage and fee worth? It is quarter of the original price and great deal for what it is. Still, without Rawlite and cage and monitor, a few miles to go for rigging it up. Best practice to catch a great package, but those a super rare. Rawlite filter costs 300EUR. BMMCC is still not a cheap camera all in all. But the image is extemely worthwhile.

By the way, I got a surprise in the 4k for 200 challenge, if a super 16 size sensor is qualified.