Incorporating a story inside Music Videos... Good idea?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Hello. This is my uncle's account but I thought I would spare the forum additional registerations since I can use this one.

Anyway, next week, I was given the opportunity to shoot a music video for a international highly-respected/popular band here. I am a total beginner, so I am a bit overwhelmed to be honest and need advice from the professional people.

First, I took some time off and sat down to think how I want the video to look like, locations, etc. I organized it all and now I am ready to go shoot it. Then I was hit by a story idea that I believe would be GREAT for the music video, could even make an enourmously successful short alone.

Now I don't know which way I should go, should I just go ahead and make a normal music video with no complex story (and the client will be satisfied) or should I go ahead and take the extra leap and incorporate my story in it?
Shooting the story will require time, effort, and money. It will make this project a lot harder than going the normal route, but again it will give the video an enormous jump in the quality of the production. Or maybe I should save my story for a short film?

-So the question is must a music video contain a story? Is is adviced to have a story whithin it or is it adviced against it?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

if you have the time and money and the band like your story then go for it ,

watch similar videos in style on youtube and see how they are structured

pop vidieos have less than 4 mins to get it all in so structure it right so it doesnt drag on.

also dont put all your best shots at the end as alot of people only watch the first 2 mins of pop videos

And remember, "story" doesn't have to be a whole complex narrative.  It could be something of a theme explored or imagery related to a mood the music produces or some interpretation of the lyrics, literal or otherwise.  Here are some of my favorite examples of this where there's a story but not anything resembling a typical short film:

...these guys mix your typical shoot-the-band-playing-the-song type of music video with images that could be right out of a longer piece.  There's a "story" there but not one you need to really explain or explore beyond how the imagery fits the mood of the piece.

...here you don't even have lyrics, just mood and themes, but there is a "story" to be interpreted.

If you decide to forgo story, going with the seemingly "simpler" approach of shooting the artist performing, I've been terribly impressed over this last year by how creative and busy a fellow GH2 shooter has been, the young DeShon Dixon.  Armed only with his GH2 and a fast 35mm prime he's constantly doing videos for new artists in LA.  He has no lights and rides the bus to location.  His story is rather incredible and even though most of the videos have nothing approaching "story" he's often able to create something that keeps me watching, even though the music itself isn't to my taste:

http://vimeo.com/80451208

...he's fairly masterful at finding natural lighting scenarios and positioning the talent relative to what's just there, even at night.  Check out his VIMEO channel for other examples.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

also dont put all your best shots at the end as alot of people only watch the first 2 mins of pop videos

Great advice. Haven't thought of it before. Thank you sir

And remember, "story" doesn't have to be a whole complex narrative.  It could be something of a theme explored or imagery related to a mood the music produces or some interpretation of the lyrics, literal or otherwise.  Here are some of my favorite examples of this where there's a story but not anything resembling a typical short film:

these are very strong music videos, thank you for sharing. I will go ahead and take the story route and see what happens. Will rewrite the whole thing to make my story "simpler" as you adviced. 

"Narrative" in music videos tends to be lyrical metaphor, for good reason. Symbolism often takes priority over structured narrative, but lots of videos are also straight forward storytelling with a song as soundtrack.

Unless the band is telling you to do your own thing, I'd suggest collaborating... If they're somewhat creative and not compete hacks.

If they're clueless, just do your own thing and make it yours.