Thinking of an idea for a new EOSHD Challenge

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Here's what I think we should do for the next one:

- Large sensor challenge for under $150 (minimum size Micro Four Thirds)

- Shoot the best possible looking PHOTOGRAPHY or video with it

(I am personally happier just to shoot photos for some relaxed fun this time. Video more of a job in current covid infected world)

- Use any existing lens you like, bonus points for unusual stuff

- Must be new camera you don't already own and under $150 maximum (have fun searching)

Winner is:

- One who finds best bargain on eBay for under $150 with best image quality and ergonomics, the most interesting, or most imaginative choice

- One who takes the best shot with it (just one amazing frame or moment wins it all)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Given the previous thread about the pandemic, why not simply a 5x5 short film (ie 25s comprising 5 scenes of 5 seconds each) on the theme: Perceptions of Pandemic.

So anyone who feels that they’ve been staring at the same 4 walls for the past 12 months will have to be creative and find a 5th scene.

Who knows, you could compile the best of the shorts and persuade one of the reputable media outlets to showcase them - a global view of what Covid has meant to a group of creatives.

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

- Must be new camera you don't already own and under $150 maximum (have fun searching)

The general idea for this contest is great, but forcing folks to buy a camera might be a deal-breaker for some.  Perhaps it should be stipulated that the camera merely has to has to be "trending" on Ebay for no more than US$150.

Great stuff...  looking forward to another competition!

Can we have multiple categories?  A photo and a video component.

Should we allow multiple entries per person?  Half the fun, for me at least, is seeing what people come up with.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, MrSMW said:

But seriously, should the 150 include a lens or not?

I'd say should as it will prevent anyone sticking a 5k Leica lens on a 150 body!

Defintily not including a lens.

May include a potato.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, tupp said:

The general idea for this contest is great, but forcing folks to buy a camera might be a deal-breaker for some.  Perhaps it should be stipulated that the camera merely has to has to be "trending" on Ebay for no more than US$150.

Yeah but the treasure hunt, scavenging for cheap but fun stuff is all part of the fun isn't it?

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yeah but the treasure hunt, scavenging for cheap but fun stuff is all part of the fun isn't it?

Finding a cheap, fun camera certainly can be part of the fun for those who can afford to buy one.  Another part of the fun is using inexpensive gear to shoot something compelling, which can be done with a camera that one already owns.

Why exclude those who can't buy a camera, merely because they can't afford to experience one part of the fun?

• Administrators
5 hours ago, tupp said:

Finding a cheap, fun camera certainly can be part of the fun for those who can afford to buy one.  Another part of the fun is using inexpensive gear to shoot something compelling, which can be done with a camera that one already owns.

Why exclude those who can't buy a camera, merely because they can't afford to experience one part of the fun?

I am sure most of you can afford to put down 50 quid for something and then sell it later for a small profit.

• Administrators

Hot tip

https://www.ebay.de/itm/SAMSUNG-NX-1000-SPIEGELOSE-SYSTEMCAMERA-OHNE-OPTIK/274673807983?hash=item3ff3d5b26f%3Ag%3ABiUAAOSwZpJgHnYF&LH_BIN=1

20MP Super 35mm sensor for 50 quid

Dived deep into the bargain bucket for that one but since I already have my CRAPtastic camera I'll let someone else grab this potato.

Maybe as part of the challenge we share our treasure hunt discoveries as we go along? Adds a new dimension to it.

Looks like this idea was realized as a blog post rather than a competition. Glad I didn't snap up that NX2000! I already own too many cameras so it's probably for the best.

A while back, I started a Facebook group called 'Junk Camera Cinematography' that is based around this premise of spending as little as possible and shooting with a lesser camera. Here's a link in case anyone is interested.

On 3/11/2021 at 5:09 AM, Andrew Reid said:

sshhhh. Actually you can do better 😉 But no telling

On 3/12/2021 at 4:03 PM, Andrew Reid said:

... since I already have my CRAPtastic camera...

@Andrew Reid What was this camera?