Has the 'bubble' burst?

richg101

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

"Tokina AT-X MC Close-up 72mm  Filter is a double lens acromat close up diopter. Half the power of a +1 close up filter"

Either the bolded section is correct or the "half the power of +1" is correct.  They aren't both correct.  It's either an ambiguously incorrect  ad because the seller didn't know what exactly they were selling or it's deliberately misleading.  Either way you don't know what you're getting unless you contact the seller directly or you give them your money and wait to see what's in the box.

And again, that German ad, it's even less descriptive.

How are the SLR magic diopters?

Good.  Heavy.  The couple mm extra diameter really plays into the weight difference.  The only reason I'd consider selling my Tokina would be wanting to eventually standardize all my filters on a larger size to avoid doing a lot of step-up or step-down.

Either the bolded section is correct or the "half the power of +1" is correct.  They aren't both correct.  It's either an ambiguously incorrect  ad because the seller didn't know what exactly they were selling or it's deliberately misleading.  Either way you don't know what you're getting unless you contact the seller directly or you give them your money and wait to see what's in the box.

And again, that German ad, it's even less descriptive.

well, someone bought 3 Tokina AT-X MC 72mm for just over 100 euros. :D

Now wait to see them on ebay for 750 each and then everyone will be happy  ;)

Cheers!

@Sean, yes, the +0.4 is MUCH more valuable, but even when the +0.5 single element was available on ebay, it went easily for $100-150, so the guy who snatched those three is still gonna make some profit out of it. It's not so easy to find reliable quality low-powered diopters, and they're still worth some money, even when they're not doublets. :)

@Sean, yes, the +0.4 is MUCH more valuable, but even when the +0.5 single element was available on ebay, it went easily for $100-150, so the guy who snatched those three is still gonna make some profit out of it. It's not so easy to find reliable quality low-powered diopters, and they're still worth some money, even when they're not doublets. :)

you know what you're talking about ;)  and thanks for "The Diopter Thread". 

someone said +0.5 single element???

Well, if you're in Japan or have a friend in Japan and want to make some people happy ... you know, people who like to pay a premium price: buy it at $ 20 and sell on ebay at $150

Kenko MC close-up No.05 (F2000) 72mm $20.00 each one!

B)

Despite solo's odd mixed message and confusion, I've seen the No.5 selling for about $65 when looking for listings on the real deal.  There's still plenty of uses for this one (and it's much cheaper Kenko branded equivalent) but being singlets removes half or more of the benefit given there's plenty of reason to want to have the achromat attached in spite of its other properties (likely the reasoning behind its contemporaries that sport even lower magnification).  If there was such a thing as a +0 power achromat it could likely sell for twice the price of the Tokina +.4

...one just popped up, out of the UK for a tad over $400.  I recognize the seller from other searches, bioware44

How can you burst the bubble? buy from real sellers! That's it.

My last purchase from Japan:

-TWO yashica-scope
-One Kenko no.05 72mm
-One old Olympus Pen
-One mexican Luchador toy

$110 US (Shipping Included)

tumblr_n3s1yqG3NV1snab03o1_1280.jpg

B) 

Miss 750 dollars? Naaaa! Maybe a nice +0.4 geisha from japan for only 65 dollars plus shipping up the doors of my home  ;)

anyways

if we want kill that "bubble" do not buy at high prices, just take your bike or just walk through the city or nearby towns... I found a Panasonic AG-LA7200 for only 500... pesos! ($40 US) in the flea market on the wild side of my city.

:)

Sean, I don't think the msg is getting through.

Hah-hah, I think you're right.  Or is the disruptive ambiguity here ironically predatory and calculated?  He's conflating two different products of two very different values that will achieve two very different practical results and I'm just curious, to what end?

Hah-hah, I think you're right.  Or is the disruptive ambiguity here ironically predatory and calculated?  He's conflating two different products of two very different values that will achieve two very different practical results and I'm just curious, to what end?

LOL I said that was my "last purchase"  :P

Side note on the "achromat-debate":

I read that Kostas Petsas who has some reputation and experience with anamorphics has pointed out (cannot remember where unfortunatly) that he hardly can see a difference between the Tokina 0.4 achromat and the 0.5 single...

I compared my Canon +2 Achromat with +2 Diopter ( as well as 2 stacked +1) and there was no difference for me as well.

Conclusion for me: To my old eyes, with my old Iscoramas and cheap old lenses and mostly old film cameras it does not make 

sense to spend so much money. I am going to shoot a low budget sort of commercial soon how will care what kind of diopter I use.

I think there is sometimes a gap between reality and budget or purpose of what people here intend to produce.

It is always the same: Every two months there are new products causing a stir and driving people crazy... 

I just cannot believe that all the people here really need 4K - for what? I am making music and filming for nearly 30 years: The possibilities

are getting better and better - so does the content?  :unsure:

Sorry for getting OT