Has the 'bubble' burst?

richg101

or..

have all the leaches moved on? -leaving us hardcores soaking up the real anamorphic goodness?  That sweet and tasty anamorphic goodness....

I'm seeing a lot of bargains and unsold anamorphics on ebay that no less than 6 months ago would have been seeing a lot more interest.

Bolex Moller by a shed load

Iscomorphot as above

Century anamorphics??  - Seen one for $250 bin recently

La7200 anamorphics - as above

8z, sankors, etc etc etc

are all the users loosing interest, or just moving onto the SLR magic and Letus things?

Who else is looking forward to finding some bargains once again??   :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Kowa-8Z-16H-Anamorphic-Adapter-Lens-Serial-Number-42173-With-Box-/321348153967?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item4ad1d7b26f

sad example.  6 months ago it would attract £500-600 bids.  now, I bet it goes for less than £300.  maybe as low as £250.

I've seen a few ISCO 36s go in the range 2-2.5K UKP, got snapped up quick. This means that a 36 with a VD rehouse plus some diopters will set you back a cool 4K UKP without a support rig and that only half scope. 

A full 2x single focus well I wonder what that would be worth, hmmm

I dont want to say too much but to quote from the movie 2010 sequel to 2001

"Something wonderful is about to happen"  ;)

Yeah i've noticed this too, especially good anamorphics being re-listed!

I do think SLR Magic et al have created a little down turn, but there does also seem to be this gulf between what buyers are willing to pay.

It feels like this 3-tier structure:

- The cheap multi-coloured nasty things, for those clueless ones dazzled by pretty colours who are starting out that can't or don't want to spend much.

- The SLR Magic crowd, that can't or don't want to spend as much as an Iscorama.

- The Iscorama crowd, that either jumped on board early or are willing to pay the price for perfection (& you've got to remember that there isn't an everlasting supply of these lenses).

The real winners will be the sensible ones that are just starting to get into anamorphics & can now pick up a Kowa etc... for very little & realise there are some bargins out there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Kowa-8Z-16H-Anamorphic-Adapter-Lens-Serial-Number-42173-With-Box-/321348153967?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item4ad1d7b26f

sad example.  6 months ago it would attract £500-600 bids.  now, I bet it goes for less than £300.  maybe as low as £250.

I think about 1.5 years ago kowa's used to go for prices around 300. Then they moved up like crazy, seen Kowa B&H's for 800-1000... so yes, maybe prices went back to 'normal'...

I don't think so.  Since last year, I started to play anamorphic lens, the price has been going up until recently.  The best recently price of 16H is this:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/161245378521

I am still looking for more of this lens for use in different lens.  But I like my ELMOSCOPE II more, because the distance marks are as metric I am more familiar with.

btw, I use it to take pictures only, not video.  I don't think video is more demanded than photo. 

Can be that the reason is the SLR. But for me their anamorphot seems like nothing more than an improved model of the century 16:9. That's not a compliment.

People that know to appreciate the organic look and sharpness will go for the classics. I wish there was a relevant competitor but there is nothing out there yet. Give me new anamorphic glass that can compete with the brilliant optics of the Bolex anamorphot...Same for the Lomos, Kowas and the Iscoramas (and well...for most of those things that smells like the 60's :-)

I'm not talking only about sharpness here. It's also distortion, Chromatic aberration(!!!), organic flares and...oh...character! 

I believe it would take some time to see something really good around, definitely not in single focus soon for a decent price. I'm also generally not a fan of those focus through adapters. They always seem like the easy way to do it and it's just never really sharp and / or too much diopter oriented. Even the Letus is not really sharp (but still expensive, especially with all the extras you want to have) Besides X1.33 is not really that cool. We need a bit more spice than that. If you have a sharp camera, or you're a lucky 4k owner, you can blow it up a bit and nobody will say anything.  

That's just my opinion. And regarding the new lenses it's all impressions i got from links online, Iv'e never tried them myself.

Conclusion: I prefer to focus two rings and get a lovely classic anamorphic image there. Or of course to go for a single focus Lomo / Isco if my wallet stands the pain...

The word hipster really has no point or basis in this discussion, and hurling it around in an attempt to insult really only derides the user.

I completely agree with woopax, none of the new anamorphics capture any of what I enjoy. Seb's footage was nice but I would use a dual focus kowa over that if I'm gonna go to the pain of shooting anamorphic. I think 1.5x is the minimum to bring any character.

It is great however, that prices do seem to be lowering or at least plateauing.

I agree re. hipster. And if anything you'll see the SLR around shoreditch. The cool of filming 1.33 with a generic aesthetic. Why not just stick on a filter and crop.

Sadly I bought anamorphics on the crest of the wave but never mind. Its been a joy getting to know all their personalities.

more iscorama goodness for the faithful and commited!  :)

There are so many (projection) anamorphics on ebay and few iscoramas. Well there is that Rollei-monombloc which is around for years 

now... that seller keeps faith  :D

During the last couple of weeks I also thought that the interest is decreasing and therefore crazy prices.

Just check this forum: So many offers even from passionate collectors...

On the other hand I am not so sure about the benefits of anamorphics anymore: Anamorphics have their real strength when it comes

to project a wider picture. That is where the fun really starts  :)

But I also agree with woopax and Paulio regarding character and look! I cannot imagine to shot digital for fun without

some bent glass in front 

Wow, over 4 grand!!!

Wonder how low he'll go on Make an Offer?

Think prices might be going down because people can't/won't pay as much as sellers would like.

Here's a similar Iscorama listing that did sell for $4499.99 about a month and a half ago.  I seem to remember another right around the same time fetching the same amount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISCO-Gottingen-Iscorama-50mm-F2-8-Nikon-F-Mount-lens-with-original-caps-EXC-/291063471628?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item43c4bc1e0c

and here's yet another right around then that sold for a few hundred less but still over 4 grand.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Isco-Iscorama-Anamorphic-Lens-rare-pre-36-Nikon-F-Mount-/251429009412?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3a8a563804

Of course condition plays a big part and these look to be excellent copies.

Here's another one with serious coating issues that still sold for $2649.00 less than a month ago:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Isco-Gottingen-Iscorama-100mm-lens-/271403283491?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3f30e57423

Like Tony keeps saying...it's hard to match the classic glass. 

Or maybe £420. Bubble still thriving...