Canon 1D X Mark III revisited

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, donnie yen said:

Did you tried the a7s3 ? I’m working with it since last September, I can shoot unlimited 4k 120fps without overheating. It’s ridiculous to say that this camera overheat. I have the a73 too and the IQ is so much better , not even comparable. Please try to actually work with it before saying this kind of wrong information.

There are several tests out there that have shown it overheating, not to mention why would the FX3 add active cooling if it didn’t have overheating? As for my A7iii comment, I was referring to the 6K oversampled IQ vs 4K 1:1 readout of the A7Siii. Obviously the A7S3 has other strong advantages such as 10-bit internal, super low rolling shutter & 4K120p. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Django said:

@gt3rs Loving those screen grabs, I hadn't even thought of the 8K RAW benefits for that purpose. For any type of fast action just scrub to that perfect frame, extract it, reframe, retouch.. etc. Just brilliant. That and the 4K120p kinda makes me regret not splurging the extra cash for an R5. Still couldn't really justify it at this particular point in time with work so slow here post-COVID. Also mad envious, ski resorts are shut down here in France. Where is that by the way? Sick hors piste action..

We did an Heliski video in the central Swiss Alps "Sustenhorn" It is a glacier you start around 3200, and go down to 1600m. We waited almost a month for having good conditions and be there alone....

i-Q7h9FhQ-4K.thumb.jpg.8f3b43f999cd5dc0530c973a4de32ca4.jpg

This one is a good example that I would not have it if taking only photos as it was not planned to do this small jump and did not catch the crevasses there until I saw the video:

i-8fXNhsz-4K.thumb.jpg.ac150cf792ab95aa0d2bad4f9d0a4e0b.jpg

same this one

i-rJwSxrm-4K.thumb.jpg.1ec04354e59319b3e5b937c69f4fa402.jpg

i-76XcWZx-4K.thumb.jpg.70e0d0fc3b8f551f275a921b59cf936f.jpg

i-bSVbfcV-4K.thumb.jpg.1e98dc94c28637c3f7dccfb31364cf45.jpg

IBIS+IS helps a lot when you don't have time to put out the tripod..... this if from an insta360 on my helmet while I was filming

i-F9Jt3ML-X5.thumb.jpg.7cbdc4b51c697676b5c035dbbbe1bc2c.jpg

For these cases I mostly don't take pictures anymore I pull frames, no fear to miss something and 8K RAW or still RAW is not a huge quality difference, I wish it had an open gate mode. I do one run with higher shutter speed and one with lower but for sports like this even higher shutter speed for video imo is not a huge issue as most of the people are so used to gopro and co action footage that are all taken at high shutter speed..... 

The 1Dx III stayed on the heli as backup..... too bulky...

1 hour ago, ade towell said:

Has anyone used the vari nd adapter from Canon, am hearing reports that colour changes quite dramatically depending on the amount of nd you are using - it sounded like a great idea but that would be pretty disappointing for a £400 adapter

I use it quite a bit and it is better that my tiffen vari ND for sure ( a lot of people claim the tiffen is good I find it quite bad) and way more practical.... as with all vari ND is not perfect. But I'm far from being an expert in color grading so your mileage may vary. 
It does not come with a transparent filter and the transparent one is expensive so I have a normal adapter same price as the filter and is also a backup.

11 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Blimey yes I see you need to buy a clear filter too, that's a lot of money for something that doesn't seem to work that well - thanks for the feedback, it seems every time I get interested in Canon  there's always a few gotchas 

Just to be clear is one of the best vND filter that I have used and very convenient.... if you use a vari ND that has 0 color cast, shift, x patter..... happy to learn what it is because is not my experience.... 

20 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Blimey yes I see you need to buy a clear filter too, that's a lot of money for something that doesn't seem to work that well - thanks for the feedback, it seems every time I get interested in Canon  there's always a few gotchas 

Just to be clear is one of the best vND filter that I have used and very convenient.... if you use a vari ND that has 0 color cast, shift, x patter..... happy to learn what it is because is not my experience.... 

Changing from clear to vND and back seems not worth compared to have an additional normal adapter imo .... 

Is definitely convenient am just saying it's hell of a lot of money for something that still causes colour shifts and you have to mess around with a clear filter or buy another adapter which takes away some of that convenience.

And that only works on ef lenses, is useless if you want to use rf lenses   

Am just a little disappointed it still has some of the issues  normal vari nds have     

I love the slr magic vari nd.

They have zero marketing unfortunately for them, but it's very good. I came from the tiffen vari nd which was trash.

Also because of the lack of marketing I have seen no comparisons to other nd filters, but the few posts/videos that exist convinced me to try it and I'm glad I did.

Released years before the polar pro and less than half the price, but probably just as good if not better. Plus their system with the iend is the same price as one polar pro filter and way more versatile.

5 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Ohhh wow I would not have accepted at all. Here I’m platinum CPS (here is based on your equipment and is free) I had one issue many years ago with a 1D III and they gave me a loan replacement in 1 day and I had an issue with a lens 5 months ago and the turnaround was 2 days.

Would have made platinum except all of my Cine lenses are Sigma ....

12 hours ago, omega1978 said:

You can use more lens, tamron 24-70 g2, canon EF 35 1.4, 16-35 2.8 III tested myself.

i think can use any EF lens...

Actually my quote was based on CVP's review of the focal reducer ... where only 3 Canon EF lenses were officially supported at that time ... Time 4.07 following ...

I am sure that others will be added ... but a short list at introduction.

All the non-internal NDs come with compromises.

Matte box and filters=$ and bulk. The tangerine ones are pretty good on a budget though. 

The canon vari-ND adapter is excellent, but the downside is forgoing RF glass. 

I tested a variety of screw-ons, including the Tiffen, SLR Magic, and Schneider vari-ND ii. The Schneider was the only one that worked with standard hoods, had front threads, and had minimal color shift.

I bought three of them in 82mm to cover my usual three-lens kit, so I don't have to deal with screwing filters on and off on a shoot. 

Andrew

It is the reason that I moved back to Sony and the FF FX6 ... love Canon colours ... but the new Sonys are just

as compelling ... take the Slog3.Cinegamma into an ACES workflow and it is very neutral and just works.

To replace my 1DX III with Canon meant another 10K for the C500 II ... made a lateral trade to the FX6 .... and

have spent half that in lenses and peripherals ... but clearly am ahead of the marketing scheme that relegates us

to accepting and living with the compromises that all the manufacturers foist upon us.

I use the Metabones EF-E Cine smart adapter to lock my Sigma Cine Primes onto the camera ... you could stand on them

and not have any movement ...

My prolonged dealings with Canon USA CPS have convinced me that the organization lacks a brain ... acting like an

amorphous mass of unrelated elements ... not a good feeling going forward ... I have a choice allocating resources and capital

for a system ... and Canon has given no indication that they could give a shite whether I ... or anyone ... is adversely affected by

their corporate intransigence ...

Sadly their overall largess will protect them from the fallout of poor marketing and response to customer complaints ... but one hopes that

they will continue to improve their line based on feedback ... doubt it but at this point I am in a different dimension ...

9 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

What a load of rubbish the Canon adapter is.

Why not just use the Metabones one?

Every Canon EF lens I have works with the adapter. What doesn't work is the peripheral illumination correction because they haven't created the profiles yet. But  peripheral illumination on the c70 is problematic because of some low shadow color noise issues so it's best to keep it turned off until they work things out. 

Anyway, Canon adapter works perfectly for DPAF and lens communication with the c70, Metabones does not.