Canon 1D X Mark III revisited

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I recently picked up an R6 which shares the same sensor and I'm honestly quite impressed by the (10-bit 4:2:2) 5.5K downsampled 4K IQ. To me it just strikes the perfect balance of file size / IQ ratio. Rolling shutter is pretty severe in 24/25p but somewhat mitigated by DIS+IBIS and indeed shooting in 50/60p halves the RS to acceptable performance.. The sensor also has something imo, which the previous 5DIV / EOS R lacked.. also noticed fine grain at high ISO compared to the banding issues in previous gen Canons.

The R6 overheats though and doesn't have the 1DX3 5.5K Raw and most importantly just doesn't quite feel pro A-level. Same as the RF lenses, something feels lost in translation with the mirrorless line quality build wise.

In the end, RF mount is the future for Canon (if only for the EF Vari-ND adapter & speedbooster for S35) and IBIS is just too convenient to go back to shaky handheld 4K imo. That said 1DX3 is definitely the last of the mohicans as far as I'm concerned and definitely deserves some kind of in-class award in that regard. Now let's see what R1 brings to the table.

Surely no surprise, a refined 3rd generation product will always outclass a new tech entry in terms of durability and refinement.

The key is whether the new entry provides performances that are simply beyond what the refined classics can deliver. If they cannot, they deserve to fail.

I'd also note that the number of accomplished shooters with both still as well as video creds is pretty small. Maybe Canon is not dumb to segregate the two categories.

I'd be curious to see A7S3 vs R5/R6/1DX3.  Sony has the advantage in RS, DR, codec options & lowlight but Canon now has the edge in resolution, oversampling, internal RAW and still better SOOC colours, AF & lack of noise reduction. 

Canon have dropped the ball with their R5/R6 release.  Neither were the camera many hoped for.  I had hoped to add a R6 to my gear, but the release fell far short of even modest expectations.  Overheating and rolling shutter plus other notable misses as well.  Shame on Canon.  

Sony are pushing further than Canon in some areas, but Canon is in others, but for video, Sony is doing better IMO.  And I say this as someone who has never enjoyed a single Sony camera I have owned and prefers Canon colours to Sony.  Sony is narrowing the gap and I predict a day when Canon won't have the edge in AF and colour it once enjoyed.  Unless Canon can stop limiting their cameras so drastically, they will continue to lose their market to Sony, as they have done already.

5 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

Canon have dropped the ball with their R5/R6 release.  Neither were the camera many hoped for.  I had hoped to add a R6 to my gear, but the release fell far short of even modest expectations.  Overheating and rolling shutter plus other notable misses as well.  Shame on Canon.  

Sony are pushing further than Canon in some areas, but Canon is in others, but for video, Sony is doing better IMO.  And I say this as someone who has never enjoyed a single Sony camera I have owned and prefers Canon colours to Sony.  Sony is narrowing the gap and I predict a day when Canon won't have the edge in AF and colour it once enjoyed.  Unless Canon can stop limiting their cameras so drastically, they will continue to lose their market to Sony, as they have done already.

I agree.

I would say Sony has already met and in some cases exceeded Canon's DPAF. Sony now has 10-bit codecs with more refined colors and S-Cinetone for easy workflow and an army of YouTube influence peddlers.

Canon still the only one offering internal RAW in mirrorless or DSLR form factor. It's not very compressed and hard to work with but its there and more accessible than anything from Sony.

I think Canon R1 will set the tone for them going forward, or at least it should if they are smart.

Sony is really killing it as far as technical specs are concerned...and its showing.

11 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

GFX10274b-scaled.jpg

I decided to take another look at the Canon 1D X Mark III - giving it a second chance in the post EOS R5 and R6 world.

New blog post:

https://www.eoshd.com/news/canon-1d-x-mark-iii-revisited/

My 1DC just bricked. Infamous error 80, then complete lockup. Sent to Canon and they are fixing for free under limited warranty! What a company! 

Canon 1DC

I miss it already and it’s only been gone 6 days! I don’t think I will ever sell it. 

Thanks yes just found Slashcam tests which confirm what you've just said

"In HD, the rolling shutter times are also very close to the values of the 1D X MkIII: We measured around 11.5 ms of 24-60fps, with 100-120fps around 7 ms."

They also say this about HD which has kind of put me off the idea..

"However, the camera does not deliver perfect debayering in HD, but some scaling artifacts (e.g. in the circles) come to light. In most cases, it should therefore always make more sense to film in 4K and then downscale the material in post-production to FullHD. Unless you absolutely need the lower rolling shutter times or an extreme slow motion setting with 120fps."

Sorry for going off topic in this thread 

7 hours ago, Django said:

Sorry, scratch that I didn't drink my morning coffee: R6 does 20.3ms in S35 mode. It drops down to 15ms only at 4K50/60p.

20ms really is perfectly fine at least for most things. For a camera at this price point with these features I'd not complain too much. 30ms in full frame UHD is definitely a bummer though. But again for most scenarios where I'd be using a hybrid it's manageable. 

1 hour ago, Django said:

@TomTheDP Not complaining either, 20ms is indeed fine and you can get down to 15ms in FF UHD just by shooting in 4K60p. Overall I'm finding R6 to be excellent bang for the buck.

It's the best hybrid at its price point imo. A7S3 is awesome but it just won't cut it for stills for many or most. If Panasonic or Fuji's auto focus was up to par it would be a different story. Who would have thought Canon was offering the best specs at the lowest price point. 

If they allow clog2 or 3 in a firmware update it would really be great.