Nikon V3 features 120fps HD video

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
nikon-v3

NEW: Discover the EOSHD Music Challenge - find up-and-coming songwriters and bands to accompany my videos

The Nikon V3 will be the first mirrorless camera to feature 120fps HD slow-mo at 1280 x 720 resolution. Also available are 400fps and 1200fps at lower resolutions. Nikon have added an electronic stabilisation mode (called EVR) and 1080/60p to round out the spec.

As a stills camera the V3 has been redesigned completely and retargeted at Nikon's prosumer and professional DSLR base as a 'second camera'. Gone is the ugly V1 design and the distinctly odd V2 - but gone also is the built-in EVF - that is now only available as a separate add-on.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

One advantage of the smaller Nikon 1 sensor in the V1 and V2 is video image quality. It's fast enough to clock out all the lines and sub-sample for better image quality vs most DSLRs that line skips to get to the desired HD resolution. Presumably with the big video push of the V3 this remains true.

DE: I’m curious, then -- most DSLRs do video by line skipping. Does the D5300 read out all the lines, and then perform sub-sampling in the processor?

TY: Not to that extent, although the Nikon 1 does.

DE: The Nikon 1 reads out all of the sensor pixels?

TY: Yes.

DE: Ahh… That’s why Nikon 1’s video is very good.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/02/14/nikon-qa-head-of-development-sees-interchangeable-lens-slowdown-as-an-aberr

The Nikon 1 V series is a great b-roll camera where you have lens flexibility and the ability to take full frame stills while shooting video. The 18.2 f1.8 is a big equalizer for low light video work if it's enough reach. The 10-100 PD is a bit large (and slow) but absolutely quiet. I hope the new 10-30 PD is the same.

Here is a D800 vs Nikon V2 video quality comparison at different ISOs:

As noisy as the stills are above base ISO the video looks good. The system needs a fast zoom (f2.8) but has been nice so far. The lack of 4K is mildly disappointing but I don't have a 4K workflow anyway.

It would have been fantastic if Nikon had decided to make a real video camera out of the the V3, let's be honest, they have nothing to lose.

They could have kept the v2 sensor and made it a 4K RAW/`Prores, BMPCC killer, had they wanted.
Nice design though. 

It only does 120 fps for 3 seconds at 720p and automatically converts it to 12 seconds @ 30 fps!

I don't get it... should be fast enough to do it continiously I'd think? Or 1080p...

Still only 60/30 fps. No 24/25...

If it had a fully functional 1080p120 mode, 24 and 25 fps it'd be a great extra camera... still a lot of 'meh' to me now.

I really hope they improved the buffer and have more than 40 frames in 30/60fps burst mode. Any chance they added back the V1's interval shooting feature ?

Still 40 frames max, but that actually means it has a bigger buffer since the megapixels increased... Would be nice if it had a Small Raw mode at 4,6 megapixel (18,4 : 4) for 160 frames...

Yes it does.  Also, the Hero 3 Black Edition does 640 x 480 at 240fps, but I think the 240fps has a very interlaced looked to it.

I've got a hero3 blk edition and shot some 720p several months ago. Couldn't remember if it did for sure, but as I recall, it actually looks very good even at 720p from the little gopro. Was just curious since Andrew wrote it's the first mirrorless to do 720 at 120fps. I know what he meant, though. The gopro is sort of oddball, but I've seen some amazing image quality from it.

Yes it does.  Also, the Hero 3 Black Edition does 640 x 480 at 240fps, but I think the 240fps has a very interlaced looked to it.

Doesn't the mirrorless GoPro Hero3 do 720p at 120fps? 

The Panasonic DMC-LX7 from two years ago does 720p120.  Many action cameras have 720p120, including the Panasonic HX-A100, the GoPro Hero 3/3+ Black Edition, JVC XA2, and Sony HDR-As100V.

One advantage of the smaller Nikon 1 sensor in the V1 and V2 is video image quality. It's fast enough to clock out all the lines and sub-sample for better image quality vs most DSLRs that line skips to get to the desired HD resolution. Presumably with the big video push of the V3 this remains true.

DE: I’m curious, then -- most DSLRs do video by line skipping. Does the D5300 read out all the lines, and then perform sub-sampling in the processor?

TY: Not to that extent, although the Nikon 1 does.

DE: The Nikon 1 reads out all of the sensor pixels?

TY: Yes.

DE: Ahh… That’s why Nikon 1’s video is very good.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/02/14/nikon-qa-head-of-development-sees-interchangeable-lens-slowdown-as-an-aberr

The Nikon 1 V series is a great b-roll camera where you have lens flexibility and the ability to take full frame stills while shooting video. The 18.2 f1.8 is a big equalizer for low light video work if it's enough reach. The 10-100 PD is a bit large (and slow) but absolutely quiet. I hope the new 10-30 PD is the same.

Let's be honest here, the Nikon V1 video quality is poor. I've seen footage myself, and it is nasty. The only measurement I've seen is from digitalcamerainfo in 2012, which measured the V1 to have 600 lines of resolution in bright light, and 450 lines in low light. There is no way the V1 is reading the entire sensor for video and downsampling in a reasonable manner.

• Administrators

The Panasonic DMC-LX7 from two years ago does 720p120.  Many action cameras have 720p120, including the Panasonic HX-A100, the GoPro Hero 3/3+ Black Edition, JVC XA2, and Sony HDR-As100V.

None of them interchangeable lens cameras. All small sensors.

• Administrators

Let's be honest here, the Nikon V1 video quality is poor. I've seen footage myself, and it is nasty. The only measurement I've seen is from digitalcamerainfo in 2012, which measured the V1 to have 600 lines of resolution in bright light, and 450 lines in low light. There is no way the V1 is reading the entire sensor for video and downsampling in a reasonable manner.

Video quality on the J1 and V1 wasn't actually that bad for the time. Not as good as D5300 now, but not far off.

https://vimeo.com/36214357