Canon 7D raw video with the Mosaic Engineering anti-aliasing filter

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

http://vimeo.com/88826657

>NEW: The EOSHD Music Challenge - pick tracks from up and coming singers and bands to suit the mood of my cinematography pieces and future camera tests!

In my opinion the Canon 7D is currently the best budget solution for shooting raw video. There's plenty of used 7D bodies here on eBay for around $750 - and that is practically a steal for 14bit raw video from a Super 35mm sized sensor... Stills camera is a mere bonus!

So to the big question - does the Mosaic Engineering VAF-7D filter completely cure the 7D's raw video of moire and aliasing?

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The footage looks great. It definitely seems like golden hour with haze and subtle detail in shadows holds up better in raw than in most compressed formats.

I spent a while looking online to try to find an answer, but I couldn't-- has there been any progress on the resolution for 7D raw footage, or is it maxed out at 1728 x 972? I also recall there being some luck with getting higher resolutions in crop mode on the 50D and didn't know if that had worked for the 7D as well. Information online about Magiclantern Raw more recent than last fall seems to be fairly scattered.

Having played with ML raw on the 50D, I appreciate the enthusiasm for it, but I really don't see how this would be considered a superior raw shooter to the pocket cam; comparable, but not superior. The 7D can't shoot full 1080 without crop mode (which in my experience was completely useless and unworkable without a tripod). It has a viewfinder, but doesn't work when shooting video... moire hasn't been a huge issue with my pocket, the pocket is smaller, its raw recording is way more reliable, the smaller sensor allows for things like speed boosters that allow crazy fast apertures, pocket has audio with raw- crappy audio, but audio nonetheless.

I mean, after reading this post, I kind of want a 7D to play with, but I don't see how its considered superior. But I'm open to having my mind changed!

EDIT- ok, I'll admit the pocket does cost more, and I have the BMPCC speed booster which really boosts the cost, so the 7D does look like a good deal when considering price.

http://vimeo.com/88826657

>NEW: The EOSHD Music Challenge - pick tracks from up and coming singers and bands to suit the mood of my cinematography pieces and future camera tests!

In my opinion the Canon 7D is currently the best budget solution for shooting raw video. There's plenty of used 7D bodies here on eBay for around $750 - and that is practically a steal for 14bit raw video from a Super 35mm sized sensor... Stills camera is a mere bonus!

So to the big question - does the Mosaic Engineering VAF-7D filter completely cure the 7D's raw video of moire and aliasing?

Read the full article here

not very polite there…  nice write up and footage..I like this camera and the 5d…

The footage looks great. It definitely seems like golden hour with haze and subtle detail in shadows holds up better in raw than in most compressed formats.

I spent a while looking online to try to find an answer, but I couldn't-- has there been any progress on the resolution for 7D raw footage, or is it maxed out at 1728 x 972? I also recall there being some luck with getting higher resolutions in crop mode on the 50D and didn't know if that had worked for the 7D as well. Information online about Magiclantern Raw more recent than last fall seems to be fairly scattered.

This thread answers your question. In short - you can record up to 2,5k in crop mode (but only 30p).

Something I have observed having been in Berlin for 3 years now. A great many Berliners appear to dislike cameras.

Well let be the first to say Berlin looks like a complete Eastern European ph-cking dump.  The trash and spray paint everywhere tells you something about the mentality of the people that inhabit that city.  I've never been there and based on your videos I may never go.

Also you have to realize privacy laws in Germany are different from other places.  This is covered a lot in photography forums.

My experience, taking photos of people for 40 years is that, yes, people are now more offended when you point a camera at them.  In my opinion, if they think you're a tourist they're more tolerant.  The internet age was supposed to bring closer communication, sympathy and understanding.  Instead, it is has aggravated our primal desire for power and security.   Power, in that we control how we are perceived to others.  Security, in not losing our narrative (place in society) to someone else.  The internet has made us feel smaller (which is a reason why tattoos have taken off--people permanently mark themselves as being unique).

Starting with the basics, even dogs don't like cameras pointed at them.  People don't like to be pointed at.  That's why pointing, in general, is considered rude.  Maybe it comes from the depth of history where someone might point to you as if to say, 'let's send him in the cave to see if there's a bear in there.'  Or, 'let's eat him, he looks appetizing.'  Generally, people don't point at you for a good reason ;)

My family and friends only tolerate my taking photos of them for two reasons.  The first is that we're related (already accepted/trusted), the second is they use the photos on Facebook, etc.  The photos add to their reputation.  That said, I've become very annoyed with my family on a few occasions because they ask for good photos, for book jackets, LinkedIn, etc., and don't spent even a few minutes preparing.  As everyone on this forum can relate, I spend hundreds of hours trying to figure out how to take a good photo.  Why can't they spend a few minutes on their part?  The sad truth is that they don't care any more about my "art" than I do about theirs.  

Don't get me wrong, I love my family more than anything, but if they can't spend time helping me get a good photo, who will?  I return the favor by not playing a part in their "screenplay", so to speak.  Again, it's hard to be giving in this internet age, for all of us.

Who wants their photo taken? People who pay, of course.  When someone pays you to take a photo or video they are paying you to make THEM look good.  When I take photos it's implied that the photos aggrandize my artistic skills.  The person in the photo is MY subject.

So when Andrew pointed his camera at those people a couple of the guys gave him the finger saying, "You're not making me a subject of YOUR story.  F-U.  You're not better than me. (and if anyone has to venture into that cave it won't be me)."

• Administrators

It's 1728 x 972 and I upscale it to 1920 x 1080p in the transcode from raw to ProRes in Resolve. Simply exports at 1080p.

Don't let the rude teenagers get you down, Andrew.

As my remaining elderly uncle says, "They're not human, they're teenagers!".

I see them flipping you the bird along with the graffiti covered trashcan opposite them, with garbage strewn all around it on the ground and somehow it all fits.  It's them, not you, don't sweat it.

By the way, the videos and pictures you produce are topnotch.  Even of snotty teenagers.

I remember arguing with you Andrew about something in your site, couple of years ago (with another account, another name I think), I dunno it was about RED or something else. and I was literally impolite in our email conversation. I had a bizarre feeling, cause I'm not a impolite person, so why I said those unreasonable unacceptable words? in cyber space, we forget that we are dealing with humans. humans like ourselves.

this post made a flashback in my mind, which was quite necessary

I sincerely apologize     

Good to see you still doing research with the old hacking spirit intact.  I will have a few reads of the article to find the useful information about 7d raw, but for now i'm more interested in joining in your rant.

My blood is boiling on your behalf.  I don't know exactly why but those tossers pissed me off.    If they had grinned at the same time i would have said fair enough, but they had cold expressions as if they were bad asses.  If they had skin heads and stafordshire bull terriers on leads, if be pragmatic and submit to their violent potential. but they weren't. they were just some tossers acting like they were hard.   Forget not appearing like a tourist to them.  I'm not even patriotic but I would have felt like walking over to them and reminding them who won the war.  Or at least walked towards them whilst continuing to point the camera directly at them, calling their bluff, and see if they are willing to walk the walk, or just stand their like the dweebs they really are.