Rode Wireless Go II - 2 channel receiver with inbuilt recorder

Anaconda_

3 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

Seriously all the they need is 32 bit float recording on the transmitter and it's an instant buy, professional or not.

Doesn't the Tentacle Sync Track E already do that? The only difference is there's no receiver (while recording). In fact, it's on SD cards, has a locking connector and timecode for syncing later.

Regarding this Rode though, I read the internal recording is 24bit, with a -20db pad, then converted to 32bit float in post (still not clear on the benefit). I think you'd only really clip that if you're shooting a Michael Bay movie.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Doesn't the Tentacle Sync Track E already do that? The only difference is there's no receiver (while recording). In fact, it's on SD cards, has a locking connector and timecode for syncing later.

Regarding this Rode though, I read the internal recording is 24bit, with a -20db pad, then converted to 32bit float in post (still not clear on the benefit). I think you'd only really clip that if you're shooting a Michael Bay movie.

The first Rode clips just when a person had a loud voice ☹️

22 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

The bolded part is the catch unfortunately. Definitely need to be able to monitor it. Also it's over twice the price per channel. Maybe worth it for remote monitoring and remote start/stop, but not for a glorified bodypack recorder. Might as well use a Tascam DR10 with the safety track.

14 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

No 32bit float although it maybe implemented in the future or maybe not.

https://www.rode.com/blog/all/Wireless-GO-II-On-Board-Recording-and-Audio-Export-Modes-Explained

32 bit float export is useless at the moment imo is there just to confuse or marketing

I would love for Rode to add 32bit Float if possible in a firmware update. 32bit float would make the system pretty much perfect. The catch is, that due to the non expandable internal memory, the record times would be impacted.

Deity are releasing/ have released body pack transceivers that have internal recording and Timecode support so for semi pro use, these might be a far better option and the price seems great. 

I bought the Wireless Go on a whim as I have a job in a few days that requires me to solo shoot and record interviews. I really didn't want to buy G3's or G4's as I've never really liked them and don't like the form factor of having two G3 receivers mounted to the camera. Saw the wireless Go was released with internal recording and though 'perfect!' My quick test left me pleasantly surprised.

They will do just fine for this job recording interviews and I like the idea of being able to use the internal mic without lav attached and just place them near my talent when shooting B-Roll to get much better audio than a top mic. So much easier to hide than a G3 and much less clunky than trying to do the same by wrapping the lav mic cord around the pack.

I think for what the Wireless Go II is and considering its form factor it's a great product. I could totally see them releasing a Pro version with two channels, internal recording, and 32-bit float and ability to monitor at RX. The 2.4Ghz frequency transmission still would make it a no-go for most weddings venues, however, unless they added safety of recording the captured audio on transmitter as well as at the receiver.

I almost bought Wireless Go 2 weeks ago. It was backordered so I didn't. In the back of my mind I thought...maybe an update is coming soon. Especially since other Rode products were backordered too, like the Rode NT-USB I ordered 4 weeks ago.

I think I’ll just stick with the original for now which I only use as the baseline for my work, almost always replacing with dedicated lav mic material.

I’d like to see a ‘pro’ version which is quicker to switch on (and off), is more obvious it is actually recording and has 32 bit float.

I used my Wireless Go II yesterday and I would have to say......"Don't buy it!" unfortunately. 

I too had Rode Central App crash randomly while playing files and also when trying to export WAV's more than 7mins in length. I can confirm that these issues have been fixed by the latest Rode Central app that was released today.

Unfortunately the biggest bug with the system is that both my Transmitters failed to record internally on 3 out of 8 of the interviews I recorded despite me always checking that the record light was on. I have the in camera recording, which luckily is fine, but the product as it stands is fundamentally flawed. What good is a backup recording if you can't be confident that the unit is actually recording?

This seems like a completely rushed out product and as a long time Rode microphone user, am deeply disappointed that a  company like Rode could release such an undercooked product to the public. Like me, if Rode had actually used this product for a day, they would have found the same issues I have faced, and by the sounds of it many others are facing too. 

Im returning mine ASAP.

On 2/27/2021 at 10:49 AM, KnightsFan said:

He must have a quiet voice. Mine have hard clipped several times, not even really shouting but just with actors talking with a bit of force. And it appears that the gain settings are applied to the output, so there's no way to mitigate clipping at the transmitter at all.

Ha! Curtis Judd has the flattest affect ever. I mean, some of his videos are very helpful and all, but that dude is speaks in middle grey. 

15 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

I feel like I own too many mics LOL, and I'm not even an audio guy. 

Chris  

You and me both! But if you can't afford an audio guy, you gotta be the audio guy. And if you take this stuff seriously at all, you quickly learn just how important audio is.

I'm still puzzled that they did not offer the possibility to start and stop on the transmitter so you could even use the transmitter as standalone recorder. Also they should give the possibility to remove this stupid 15 min timeout.

Regarding bugs welcome to the new world of end user beta testing.....

19 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Hmmm... B&H shows them in stock. Might take the plunge since my G3 is only one lav and the stick mic. They need a wireless go shotgun that we can put on a boom or just to get better nat sound. I feel like I own too many mics LOL, and I'm not even an audio guy. 

You could just plug a Deity D3 Pro and plug it into a Rode Go?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1448999-REG/deity_microphones_vmicd3pro_v_mic_d3_pro_directional.html

8 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I've done exactly that with the VideoMic NTG, and NTG4+ with XLR-3.5mm cable. It works very well for a wireless boom setup.

I also regularly use my Wireless Go with a Zoom recorder. Have the mics going into the recorder, then plug the Wireless Go into the output and send the audio to the camera. Perfect for monitoring from the camera, and syncing the HQ audio later, but also gives the option for super mega fast turn around where necessary. Providing you get the levels in the zoom correct before sending the signal to the camera, of course.

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

I'm still puzzled that they did not offer the possibility to start and stop on the transmitter so you could even use the transmitter as standalone recorder.

I'm under the impression that there's a phone app coming that could start/stop recording over bluetooth. Of course, that's only good if it does actually start/stop in the first place.

38 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I'm under the impression that there's a phone app coming that could start/stop recording over bluetooth. Of course, that's only good if it does actually start/stop in the first place.

I don't think these devices have BT so I bet you would need to plug them in to USB/Lighting etc..

Also now all the devices need an app and is really time consuming when in a rush... find the app, open the app, connect to the device, press a button, close the app as you need another one for the gimbal, camera, tripod 🙂  etc..

Why not a simple double press of the transmitter button to start and stop and call it a day?

37 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Why not a simple double press of the transmitter button to start and stop and call it a day?

I just want to switch on with a physical switch that is instant, ie, no holding for 5 seconds etc.

Then I want to just a record button, see it's recording and then press or push a lock feature.

On camera, I'd like it to switch itself on or off when I do the camera.

I can see why some might like or need apps, for remote access etc.

And don't get me started on pre-flighting a drone... 🤪

29 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

And don't get me started on pre-flighting a drone... 🤪

Yep, I just did a small drone part for a heliski video and yes you are there in the cold everybody waiting for your signal and you are unfolding the drone, connecting the phone to the RC, opening the app, loading, connecting, compass calibration, compass calibration and one more time compass calibration 🙂 then check all the I agree checkboxes because is high altitude, cold, to much snow, RTH altitude, etc and finally you can start and by that time your talents are frozen and your fingers too. All this assuming you did 3h of firmware updates for the RC, drone, every single battery and maybe even for the case 🙂 the day before.

image.thumb.png.e09d7421c043408144dec250c2d30eb1.png