Super tiny Sigma 28-70mm F2.8 for mirrorless camera (E / L Mount)

Andrew Reid

• 7 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Anyone have any updates on this lens they would like to share? Particularly as a video lens?

I've got the 24-105/4 but would be glad to use something more compact/lighter for a day of hand-held video work. I really don't need the extra 4mm at the wide end. 

Also curious about the character (if any) of the lens. I find moderns glass a bit sterile but do like the 35mm & 65mm DG DN's pretty nice on my S1 for video. 

(Also considering tracking down a Tokina 28-70 ATX Pro but certainly noting saved in terms of weight there. Would be more for aesthetic character of the image...)

It’s been my main workhorse in 2021 with my S1H.

However, I am probably moving it over to stills photography on the S1R in 2022 and then going with the even tinier, new 18-50mm f2.8

APSC only, but that’s fine as I shoot 4k 50p anyway which is of course cropped.

Not 100% decided on this set up but it does give me the best compromise of the best S1 bodies (S1R stills, S1H video) paired with the fastest and smallest zoom lenses, covering basically 28-70 in each case.

However, I am in love with my 35mm f2 and 65mm f2 pairing…

In my ideal world, Panny would produce for me the equivalent of the S1R merged with the S1H in an S5 sized body and I could go matched bodies…in which case I’d jump on their native 24/35/50/85mm f1.8 line up without question and shoot the 24 + 50 pairing indoor and the 35 + 85 pairing outdoor. But I’m dreaming a bit there…

Character? Modern lenses don’t really have ‘character’ as such but are more clinically ‘good’/sharp.

I’m just happy with a nice clean image to be honest and all the Sigma lenses deliver that.

The 24-105mm f4 is great, the IS superb, but to me, it’s just about tolerable when not extended, but when zoomed out, too much.

I have used it for work purposes a couple of times, stills and video and it’s arguably the best all round lens for hybrid, but I am not keen on it’s size.

For travel and landscape however, it’s my go to. I just want one body one lens and it’s a good compromise of wide enough angle, but much more reach than a 24-70.

But back to the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8, I think it’s a fabulous compromise option and prefer it over any full size 24-70mm due to it’s much more compact size with no real world loss of image quality.

In short, it gets out of the way.

I’m looking forward to that even tinier 18-50 which I suspect for video work I will like even more and paired with the so-called ‘massive’ (it isn’t) S1H, will make a superb and pretty compact pairing with great 27-75mm equivalent range.

Oh and ps: I use a Freewell 1/8th mist on all my lenses these days as they take away some of that digital look, reduce contrast and soften the image slightly and make the Neutral profile I shoot more *cough* cinematic SOOC which suits my workflow.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Oh and ps: I use a Freewell 1/8th mist on all my lenses these days as they take away some of that digital look, reduce contrast and soften the image slightly and make the Neutral profile I shoot more *cough* cinematic SOOC which suits my workflow.

That's a nasty cough you've got there...  I'd suggest working out the cause of it and eliminating it from your lifestyle 🙂 

On 11/23/2021 at 8:04 PM, MrSMW said:

I've had a damned cough since visiting the UK 3 weeks ago.

Not been ill once in the 2 years since my last visit...which was coincidently, when I last picked up something...

Interesting.  Didn't realise that the UK was a hotspot for people trying to be cinematic.