Panasonic GH4 pricing official - $1698 body only, $1998 for the external 10bit / XLR box

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The GH4's sensor is standard m4/3 size, not s35, and all of its video modes are 16:9 save for Its C4K mode, which has a slight additional crop and is a slightly wider aspect ratio (1.85 I believe).

So it's smaller than the GH2's sesnsor (like the GH3)?

So it's smaller than the GH2's sesnsor (like the GH3)?

yes, its like the GH3 at 1080p. when you switch to 4K however the crop is even higher. i dont have the exact numbers, 2.25 crop i believe?

are thre aready comparions between GH3 and GH4 @ 1080p? maybe even stills in comparison to GH3 or EM1?

i think that the GH4 is a great camera, with the official price tag it sounds even better, but the handheld shooting style is still very popular and i need my next camera to have IBIS. switching from my 25mm 1.4 to the 14-140mm just for OIS, just isnt acceptable anymore.

i would have rather seen a GH4 with sharper 1080p compared to GH3, IBIS and no 4K option, than what the GH4 offers right now. sure 4k is nice to have and Andrew always says that you can always downsample it to 1080p obviously, but that happens at the price of a smaller sensor. sure its only a very small difference to m43, but we have to draw the line somewhere. going from fullframe to apsc to M43 multiaspect to M43 to cropped M43 doesnt cut it anymore for me.

when i buy a new generation of a camera i need it to be better or at least the same in ALL aspects. cropping m43 even more is definately a step back that im not willing to take.

however i can understand anybody who ll buy this camera in a heartbeat :)

• Administrators

Exciting pricing, Andrew! Thanks for keeping us up to date. So for us anamorphic nuts, shooting with a 2x ana lens on a GH4 with an S35 chip will yield what aspect ratio? Or is the frame 16x9 regardless of the sensor?

Frame is 16:9 regardless. There's no 3:2 or 4:3 anamorphic mode on the GH4 unfortunately! Still to much of a niche for the majors to consider, or even Blackmagic whose sensors are 4:3 native aspect too. Should be an easy thing to implement, it's a shame they haven't done it yet especially with it being such a popular pro shooting format. Hawk anyone? Maybe Vantage and Panavision need to have a word in Panasonic's ear rather than leaving it to me?

No uncompressed 10bit 4K over the GH4's micro-HDMI port, you need the 10bit HD-SDI box for that.

This is incorrect according to multiple sources, including Pansasonic reps and the camera's manual.

It's academic at the moment, however, as there's no recorder that will do 4K 4:2:2 10 bit over HDMI.

yes, its like the GH3 at 1080p. when you switch to 4K however the crop is even higher. i dont have the exact numbers, 2.25 crop i believe?

are thre aready comparions between GH3 and GH4 @ 1080p? maybe even stills in comparison to GH3 or EM1?

i think that the GH4 is a great camera, with the official price tag it sounds even better, but the handheld shooting style is still very popular and i need my next camera to have IBIS. switching from my 25mm 1.4 to the 14-140mm just for OIS, just isnt acceptable anymore.

i would have rather seen a GH4 with sharper 1080p compared to GH3, IBIS and no 4K option, than what the GH4 offers right now. sure 4k is nice to have and Andrew always says that you can always downsample it to 1080p obviously, but that happens at the price of a smaller sensor. sure its only a very small difference to m43, but we have to draw the line somewhere. going from fullframe to apsc to M43 multiaspect to M43 to cropped M43 doesnt cut it anymore for me.

when i buy a new generation of a camera i need it to be better or at least the same in ALL aspects. cropping m43 even more is definately a step back that im not willing to take.

however i can understand anybody who ll buy this camera in a heartbeat :)

I feel the same way. I know sensor size isn't everything, but it's hard enough to get wide angles on M43 as it is, and cropping even more isn't exactly helping matters.

Personally, mostly because it's not yet limiting what I create, I'm going to stick with my GH2, despite its dodgey colour reproduction. 4K is great and everything, but I can't imagine the mainstream (who my videos are targated at) having 4k capable monitors for at least 2 years yet, by which time there might be a GH camera with a global shutter available.

I took the plunge last night when the GH4 preorder went live on Adorama, so fingers crossed on making the first shipment.  My local air taxi here has been extremely receptive to a partnership shooting aerial stock footage and I think 4K will be the best way to go in that regard (even at 4:2:0 8 bit).

So does anyone think this will have an impact on the GH3 price?  Does the GH4 make it go lower because there is a 'newer and better' model out, or does it drive it higher because the GH3 is now part of a system with an easy upgrade to 4k?  Or is there no impact?

(I would like cheaper to be the answer!)