Panasonic GH4 pricing official - $1698 body only, $1998 for the external 10bit / XLR box

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Panasonic GH4 and external HD-SDI XLR unit

Adorama have just given me official pricing for the GH4. The prices are due to go live at 12.01am March 10th (Monday).

Pre-order now to be one of the first to receive the camera in the United States. Shipping date is May.

Panasonic GH4 body only (black) with 4K video recording - $1698

Panasonic YAGH interface unit (for 10bit 4K, HD-SDI and XLR audio) - $1998

Panasonic GH4 with YAGH interface unit bundle - $3298

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

As I put in my articles, yes you can take 10bit 4:2:2 over the HDMI output. It's HD only.

How is that possible? AFAIK, HDMI is only specified for transferring an 8bit video signal at 1080p and the other two bits of the interface are reserved for control information?!?

So for $3300, we get a camera + base that is comparable to a C100. At around half the price. Plus we get 4k. Not too shabby.

To be fair, the C100 is now $4999. And I wouldn't be surprised if by NAB Canon drops the price again, perhaps to $4599-4699. But yeah, still neat that the GH4 is still priced well below (and gives 4K).

All that remains is someone to put out some well shot, edited and graded footage. Some of the footage some testers have put out is absolute junk.

Andrew, will you or have you already in your hands on a GH4? I'm thinking about jumping off the Canon ship as is seems to not have much direction.

Adrian

• Administrators

How is that possible? AFAIK, HDMI is only specified for transferring an 8bit video signal at 1080p and the other two bits of the interface are reserved for control information?!?

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera also has 10bit 4:2:2 over HDMI.

HDMI 1.3:

• Deep Color: HDMI 1.3 supports 10-bit, 12-bit and 16-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 8-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification, for stunning rendering of over one billion colors in unprecedented detail.