Sony F3 as 2nd camera?

aaa123jc

Recently I've got the Sony FS700 as the main camera (after I sold almost everything a few months ago) and since it was much cheaper than I had expected (around $600 USD), I now have some room to get another camera. 

My girlfriend and I are looking at the Sony F3 right now. It's about $800-$950 around here, and actually a bit more expensive and makes me hesitate a bit.

So before we pull the trigger, we would like to ask for some opinions. 

1. Is there anything I should be aware of before buying?
  2. Is there any component or parts that easily becomes faculty over time? 
  3. Are the color science similar with the FS700? 
  4. Any opinion on the ergonomics? 
  5. Seriously, can the F3 replace my FS700 except for slow motion?

We mostly do event videography before the whole COVID thing. Now we are doing mostly short films and online content for clients. We have a few EF lenses and vintage lenses, and no e-mount lenses at all. 

You guys' opinion are most valuable for our decision making. Thank you very much. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Different color science. Could replace the FS700 if you don't need 4k. An external recorder is really essential to get the best image out of this camera. Its probably not going to hold its value well but if it works for you an generates money that's all that matters. 

The view finder is often broken or faulty on used models so I assume it's a problematic part. Not essential to the function of the camera though. I like the ergonomics on the F3, though the menus suck hard but you already have an FS700 so you know that. 

11 hours ago, aaa123jc said:

Recently I've got the Sony FS700 as the main camera (after I sold almost everything a few months ago) and since it was much cheaper than I had expected (around $600 USD), I now have some room to get another camera. 

Damn, that's a GREAT PRICE! Even prior to Caleb's video putting the price spike on FS700 bodies. 

Is it the 4K raw version?

11 hours ago, aaa123jc said:

My girlfriend and I are looking at the Sony F3 right now. It's about $800-$950 around here, and actually a bit more expensive and makes me hesitate a bit.

With the price spike of the F3 (again, thanks to Caleb....) I'd pass on the F3 for now. 

Maybe get an OG a7S mk1 as a dirt cheap B Cam to your FS700? At least you can easily put that on a gimbal if you need to (or whatever else you want a small camera for, like a lightweight slider, or jib, or car rig), unlike the FS700/F3. Plus the same 4K recorder you use with the FS700, you can use to get 4K out of the a7S mk1 as well.

9 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

The view finder is often broken or faulty on used models so I assume it's a problematic part. Not essential to the function of the camera though.

Mine was removed from my F3  before I even bought it. As it just got in the way of the user, and there was no use for it. 

10 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Different color science. Could replace the FS700 if you don't need 4k. An external recorder is really essential to get the best image out of this camera. Its probably not going to hold its value well but if it works for you an generates money that's all that matters. 

The view finder is often broken or faulty on used models so I assume it's a problematic part. Not essential to the function of the camera though. I like the ergonomics on the F3, though the menus suck hard but you already have an FS700 so you know that. 

Thanks for the reply. 

I don't think I will be using the view finder a lot so that should not be any problem. I was hoping the color science could be similar though. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Damn, that's a GREAT PRICE! Even prior to Caleb's video putting the price spike on FS700 bodies. 

Is it the 4K raw version?

With the price spike of the F3 (again, thanks to Caleb....) I'd pass on the F3 for now. 

Maybe get an OG a7S mk1 as a dirt cheap B Cam to your FS700? At least you can easily put that on a gimbal if you need to (or whatever else you want a small camera for, like a lightweight slider, or jib, or car rig), unlike the FS700/F3. Plus the same 4K recorder you use with the FS700, you can use to get 4K out of the a7S mk1 as well.

Mine was removed from my F3  before I even bought it. As it just got in the way of the user, and there was no use for it. 

Thanks! 

The price for that FS700 was really cheap. It has the raw option and comes with a cage as well. 

In my region, the OG A7S is still quite expensive. It's still around $500 USD. I guess we Hong Kong people just love the A7S. I've even seen used A7S2 selling for $1000-1200 in 2021. 

The A7S is a good camera though. I used to rent it for all my jobs. Would definitely consider it now since the price spike of the F3. 

For now, 4K is not really needed. A good 1080P image is enough for most of the work I do, but having the option of 4K is always nice. 

43 minutes ago, aaa123jc said:

In my region, the OG A7S is still quite expensive. It's still around $500 USD. I guess we Hong Kong people just love the A7S. I've even seen used A7S2 selling for $1000-1200 in 2021. 

US$500? Yeah that's roughly what I'd gut guess an a7S mk1 would be. 

44 minutes ago, aaa123jc said:

For now, 4K is not really needed. A good 1080P image is enough for most of the work I do, but having the option of 4K is always nice. 

Shoot in 4K to deliver in high quality HD.

A7S is quite good even in 2021. I'd say the F3 definitely has more pleasing color. A lot of people say the Sony F3 has more F35 like color than its successors the F55, FS5, and A7 cameras. 

It has the original Slog no SLOG2 or 3. It should be more similar than using a completely different brand camera though. 

I’ve used both the Fs700 and the F3 quite a bit. The F3 is in a different class with color and skin tone. The image itself is also quite a bit cleaner. I remember having to over expose by two stops constantly with the FS700.

The high frame rate features on the FS700 are amazing, but if you’re shooting primarily 24 and 60p, the F3 is great.

Keep in the mind, the F3 uses a different mount. They do make an adapter for EF, which can be found for a reasonable price on eBay. Also, to get the most out of it, you’ll want an external recorder. The black magic video assist is cheap and works well.

I do agree, a smaller DSLR is so nice to have for a gimbal, plus the lowlight from an A7S would likely come in handy.

25 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Manual lenses only
(only you want to pay a LOT more for your adapter)

I paid 400 for the optitek or whatever it is. (Since then I have sold the whole setup.) 

That’s kind of a lot if you’re paying 900 for the body. It’s just nice to have image stabilized lenses as an option. Not sure what they go for these days

4 hours ago, BenEricson said:

I’ve used both the Fs700 and the F3 quite a bit. The F3 is in a different class with color and skin tone. The image itself is also quite a bit cleaner. I remember having to over expose by two stops constantly with the FS700.

The high frame rate features on the FS700 are amazing, but if you’re shooting primarily 24 and 60p, the F3 is great.

Keep in the mind, the F3 uses a different mount. They do make an adapter for EF, which can be found for a reasonable price on eBay. Also, to get the most out of it, you’ll want an external recorder. The black magic video assist is cheap and works well.

I do agree, a smaller DSLR is so nice to have for a gimbal, plus the lowlight from an A7S would likely come in handy.

Thanks.

I do shoot high frame rate occasionally. That's why I bought the FS700 at the first place. The majority of work is still in 1080 24P or 25P. I rent an external recorder when I need 4K and slow motion. 

As for the adapter, I can buy one from the seller. It's about $100. The camera comes with the PL mount adapter, but I don't own any PL lens. 

My girlfriend and I like the image of the F3 very much. However, if they can't match very well, this is extra work on our part and could potentially slow down the workflow. 

Should we wait for the price to drop? And invest the money in an external recorder instead? 

Again, thank you for all your valuable opinions. 

1 hour ago, aaa123jc said:

Thanks.

I do shoot high frame rate occasionally. That's why I bought the FS700 at the first place. The majority of work is still in 1080 24P or 25P. I rent an external recorder when I need 4K and slow motion. 

As for the adapter, I can buy one from the seller. It's about $100. The camera comes with the PL mount adapter, but I don't own any PL lens. 

My girlfriend and I like the image of the F3 very much. However, if they can't match very well, this is extra work on our part and could potentially slow down the workflow. 

Should we wait for the price to drop? And invest the money in an external recorder instead? 

Again, thank you for all your valuable opinions. 

Depends if you need a two camera setup or not. Keep in mind the F3 really shines with an external recorder. Without you are only getting an 8 bit image. 

You can't really go wrong with any option these days. As long as you aren't insane like me and buy and sell your cameras every 6 months. 

2 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Depends if you need a two camera setup or not. Keep in mind the F3 really shines with an external recorder. Without you are only getting an 8 bit image. 

You can't really go wrong with any option these days. As long as you aren't insane like me and buy and sell your cameras every 6 months. 

For the work we do right now, there is not a lot of need for a two camera setup. However, once things are back to normal and we can do event videos again, a two cam setup is very much needed. 

Is there any recommendation for external recorders? I usually rent the Atomos Shogun Inferno, but it is a little bit too heavy. 

Thanks. 

On 2/18/2021 at 10:42 PM, BenEricson said:

I paid 400 for the optitek or whatever it is. (Since then I have sold the whole setup.) 

That’s kind of a lot if you’re paying 900 for the body. It’s just nice to have image stabilized lenses as an option. Not sure what they go for these days

That's a good price for it! I've seen them listed for higher prices. 

But even $400, is still four times higher than the dumb mount adapters for FZ. 

On 2/19/2021 at 7:28 AM, aaa123jc said:

Is there any recommendation for external recorders? I usually rent the Atomos Shogun Inferno, but it is a little bit too heavy. 

Get any external HD recorder that you like with an SDI input. 

BMD Video Assist and Atomos Samurai Blade are two popular lower priced examples. (I've got the Atomos Samurai Blade)

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Get any external HD recorder that you like with an SDI input. 

BMD Video Assist and Atomos Samurai Blade are two popular lower priced examples. (I've got the Atomos Samurai Blade)

Thanks.

I am looking at the Video Assist now. Hopefully I can find one in good condition and cheap price.

BTW, can the Video Assist convert the raw signal of the FS700 through the SDI into ProRes or other codec? If it can, it will be a perfect choice for me. 

14 hours ago, aaa123jc said:

BTW, can the Video Assist convert the raw signal of the FS700 through the SDI into ProRes or other codec? If it can, it will be a perfect choice for me. 

No, the 5" doesn't even do 4K in any form whatsoever. 
None of them can handle fs-raw

You are going to need the Odyssey 7Q or 7Q+ with the RAW option. This will work with the Sony FS700 and will bring out the best image possible, and record the high frame rates!

You can find the Odyssey 7Q+ on eBay. Also some are on Facebook groups from time to time. 

Broatch