Blackmagic Camera Update Feb 17

Anaconda_

Also have one and the blue tint is noticeable and annoying. Hoping it can be fixed with firmware.

I've also noticed the top "dot" buttons are less responsive than my Pocket 4K. For example, if I turn on false color I have to wait a second before the button will turn it off. Not a deal-breaker, but different behavior than my 4K, which is instant. Anyone else noticing this?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, superporpoise said:

Also have one and the blue tint is noticeable and annoying. Hoping it can be fixed with firmware.

I've also noticed the top "dot" buttons are less responsive than my Pocket 4K. For example, if I turn on false color I have to wait a second before the button will turn it off. Not a deal-breaker, but different behavior than my 4K, which is instant. Anyone else noticing this?

I’ll have to test this later and let you know, seems like we have beta firmware till the one grant announced.. so could be related to that?

2 hours ago, Fairkid said:

My screen looks really nice, no obvious blue tint. Got mine from CVP yesterday.

Thats good to hear, I read BM were fixing the issue vis firmware anyway!

On 3/2/2021 at 5:52 PM, superporpoise said:

My buttons are very responsive I don't have my regular to compare side by side but they seem to be unchanged for me.

Just a quick update on batteries. In a very unscientific test I compared the Patona 3500 mah against the Blackmagic branded ones. Recording to CFast at 50% screen brightness I got 65 minutes out of the Patona vs 70 minutes from the Blackmagic ones. At less than a third of the price thats good enough for me. Both being over a solid hour is the real story here for me, love that BMD finally got this right.

Got my Pocket 6K Pro today.  I took it out for a quick try at the grounds of a nearby University.  

Just some initial thoughts.  It does look like my screen has a slight blue tint.  I have not yet tried to upload any LUT, so can't confirm that yet.

Just using it for basic shots, it's a welcome step up on the Pocket 4K.  Tilt screen is very useful and I tried some low shots to make good use of it.  It was a dull day, but its clear the screen is a lot clearer and brighter.  I need a sunny day to really test it though. 

Battery life much better.  Not as good as the GH5 I own of course, but much more usable than the P4K.

Colour looked better but I need to edit the footage to make a proper judgement.  No issues with the IS on my 24 to 105 lens as I had on the 4K with the metabones adaptor.  However as the issue was intermittent, its hard to be sure.  It was a cold day, so I would have normally have had issues and lots aperture control at some point.  This didn't happen once.   Some improvement in shallow depth of field from the slightly larger sensor.  Nice look that I look forward to working with.

It's bigger and heavier to hold, but I felt sturdier in my hands.  It helped me to get more stable shots I felt.   I will continue to take it out and even start editing the footage, so will have more thoughts on it as time goes on.  However, I am very pleased with it so far.   

I have been messing around with mine today too and have been really enjoying it. The feel in the hand is superb, very ergonomic and access to NDs in body is bloody revelatory. The weight is really nice, it feels more solid than my 4k. 

The screen is really useable even in bright light, colour tint on screen seems ok too. No major colour shift noticed in the footage with ND up to the full 6 stops though no scientific testing done. 

All in all I am really happy with it. I put on the Canon 24mm f2.8 is lens, stuck in a Cfast and was able to fit it into a small shoulder bag and head out for the day with one spare battery. Everything I needed was in the camera, very liberating. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 10:56 AM, nathlas said:

1) How's evf experience in terms of opticals ? like a sony A73  ? better? worst ?

2) How're builded NDs in terms of mechanism ? Seems pro enough ? 

I got mine yesterday. Didn't bother with the EVF so can't comment but the ND'S work well and no noticeable colour shift on mine. Definately 'pro enough'. This is the upgrade from the 4k I was hoping for. I will be picky and say that I'd rather the camera was in more of a box form like Komodo or zcam but the fact that it had a great usable screen now and internal ND's more than makes up for its form factor. 

Fan is much noisier than 4K but still acceptable. 

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

But a way beefier to a P4K user, isn't it? ;- )

Yep, the body alone is much beefier although I have a speedbooster mounted to my P4K 100% of the time so once you take that into account the difference is less. I also like the feeling of it in the hand more than the 4K. The battery is also sooo much better. I always used my P4K with a Vlock as the LP6N batteries were pretty unreliable and has short run times but I'd quite happily run the 6kPro on internal NPF. 

For me, the size is an advantage..... the internal ND's save so much time on set and the second XLR input means that the sound recordist is happy being able to feed two channels of audio directly into camera as well as Timecode via a tentacle sync into the microphone minijack input. So really.....the camera is still tiny considering all its features, inputs and the fact that it had a really nice 5" high bright screen built in.......it's a proper video/cinema camera. Sure is big compared to a mirrorless camera but then it offers so much more for me. 

I'm also a fan of the added BRAW compression ratios. While Blackmagic are not showing the Samsung T5s as being officially 'approved', in my tests I am able to shoot 6K50p BRAW at constant bit rate down to 5:1 or constant quality at Q1 to 1TB drives.  

Anyway, still testing for now....I'll be using it as a B Camera on a TVC next week so will keep you updated on how it performs.