Blackmagic Camera Update Feb 17

Anaconda_

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

Speaking of the camera getting here CVP here in the UK called me saying they are getting my unit in today.

I ordered from WEX.  I did CVP last time with the Pocket and it took ages.  Serves me right going elsewhere now.  Still no word from WEX.

6 hours ago, Paul Jonathan said:

Awesome, thanks Mr. Freeze.

ntblowz, theres a few others making 3500mah batteries, I just ordered some from Patona and will test them against the Blackmagic branded one once the camera gets here.

Hi Paul, can I ask where you found the 3500mah Patina batteries. Hoping to get my unit from CVP in the next week. Thanks. 

4 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

I ordered from WEX.  I did CVP last time with the Pocket and it took ages.  Serves me right going elsewhere now.  Still no word from WEX.

Turns out they will be getting it in tomorrow instead so (in theory) it should be getting to me between Friday and Monday!

6 minutes ago, JordanWright said:

Turns out they will be getting it in tomorrow instead so (in theory) it should be getting to me between Friday and Monday!

I emailed WEX to tell them that someone in the UK was getting theirs soon and asking if they had a possible ETA for mine, and they rather rudely replied that no one in the UK has the cameras and anyone saying to the contrary is lying.  🙄🙄🙄  I should have stuck with CVP.  

3 hours ago, Fairkid said:

Hi Paul, can I ask where you found the 3500mah Patina batteries. Hoping to get my unit from CVP in the next week. Thanks. 

Not sure if I am allowed to post Ebay links here, but there is a German reseller on Ebay that sells them. I am sure they are available in UK as well. They are called PATONA PROTECT Sony NP-F550 F330 F530 F750 F930 F920 F550. As far as my research went is that F550 and F570 are identical in sizing and only differentiated by capacity. They cost me 15 Euros a piece which is significantly less than the BMD branded ones, so even if they hold a little less charge I think they'll still be worthwhile.

Just wanted to share my research on NP-F chargers as well, if you're considering exclusively power the camera this way like I do. I did a deep search on fast charging NP-F chargers, and all I could find were 2A chargers, that frequently distributed their charge as multiple batteries were attached, dropping down to 1A or 0.5A. So I found this charger from Kinefinity that charges two NP-Fs at 2A and if only one is attached it even charges at 3A. It is kinda pricy (79 EUR plus VAT) without the USB-C cable, but I decided it to be worthwhile, as it in theory keeps the camera running in definitely with only four batteries, as charge time for on NP-F is 60 mins and 90 for 2. According to John Brawley the camera gets around 70 minutes of recording time on a single battery when recording to CFast.

1 hour ago, SteveV4D said:

I emailed WEX to tell them that someone in the UK was getting theirs soon and asking if they had a possible ETA for mine, and they rather rudely replied that no one in the UK has the cameras and anyone saying to the contrary is lying.  🙄🙄🙄  I should have stuck with CVP.  

Hah I feel your pain. I found an Italian reseller (since all the German ones were out) that promised last week he would get stock on Monday and ship me one of those cameras. Since then the shipment has been stuck in customs at Dover apparently and my hopes to use the camera this weekend on a shoot are slowly fading..

32 minutes ago, Paul Jonathan said:

Not sure if I am allowed to post Ebay links here, but there is a German reseller on Ebay that sells them. I am sure they are available in UK as well. They are called PATONA PROTECT Sony NP-F550 F330 F530 F750 F930 F920 F550. As far as my research went is that F550 and F570 are identical in sizing and only differentiated by capacity. They cost me 15 Euros a piece which is significantly less than the BMD branded ones, so even if they hold a little less charge I think they'll still be worthwhile.

Just wanted to share my research on NP-F chargers as well, if you're considering exclusively power the camera this way like I do. I did a deep search on fast charging NP-F chargers, and all I could find were 2A chargers, that frequently distributed their charge as multiple batteries were attached, dropping down to 1A or 0.5A. So I found this charger from Kinefinity that charges two NP-Fs at 2A and if only one is attached it even charges at 3A. It is kinda pricy (79 EUR plus VAT) without the USB-C cable, but I decided it to be worthwhile, as it in theory keeps the camera running in definitely with only four batteries, as charge time for on NP-F is 60 mins and 90 for 2. According to John Brawley the camera gets around 70 minutes of recording time on a single battery when recording to CFast.

Thank you Paul, I found them and ordered 6 which should do for a good days filming.

Sorry to spam the thread... had the camera for a few days now here’s some initial thoughts and tests. ND filters are great (obviously) haven’t noticed any IR pollution or colour shifts when using them yet. The biggest upgrade is the brightness of the monitor, totally usable on sunny days. I will say a lot of people have been reporting that there monitors have a blue tint and I can confirm that mine is about 300k cold. BM informed CVP that is a firmware update coming to fix this. 

There is another firmware bug where it is impossible to import or delete LUts

Battery life is improved I get 1h continuous recording 6K Q5 to Cfast. (100% Screen Brightness)

The body is slightly taller making it more comfortable to hold... there is finally a place for my pinky on the grip! It is also a bit heavier in the hand.

other than that it’s basically a P6K, same IQ in a more ergonomic and feature packed body. 

I've heard about the LUT bug.  Screen one is new to me.  I'm still awaiting WEX to even acknowledge the camera is now available.  Should have gone to CVP... 

Hopefully a bug fix will be due out soon to fix these silly issues.  Sounds like an easy fix.  

18 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

I've heard about the LUT bug.  Screen one is new to me.  I'm still awaiting WEX to even acknowledge the camera is now available.  Should have gone to CVP... 

Hopefully a bug fix will be due out soon to fix these silly issues.  Sounds like an easy fix.  

Yeah a lot of people on the BM forums have the same issue. I was just going to add +300k correction to my LUTs so is not a huge deal but it will be great to have a fix.

I’m also not used to such a bright screen I often accidentally overexposed about a stop on the regular pockets, with the Pro (and gen5) I find exposing using the monitor more accurate.