Blackmagic Camera Update Feb 17

Anaconda_

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

Internal NDs, tilt screen, and dual mini XLR make it worth the extra $500 over the 6K. This is probably the perfect camera for them to release right now.

Agreed. Even though, this is the premium to pay for the flaws they didn't include in the precedent version.

But, oh boy, this makes no sense or too little to none:

image.thumb.png.8573637c36a9806aeb0fe6861130bdf4.png

Every PRO knows this is totally BS marketing (hey didn't they present it now as "the" PRO camera?! LOL : )

DOF doesn't depend exclusively on sensor size!

Without mention MFT lenses are much more affordable, easy and versatile to find... yes, for fast lenses where we are able to arrive exactly to the same destination : X

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

It really is remarkable how opposite their body designs are from their OS. One is ugly as sin, the other is truly elegant. 

Unless you need auto focus it's hard to justify getting the C70 over this. There's A LOT of value in this. $2,500 for all of that is a tremendous value. 

Do we not care anymore about the actual inside of cameras anymore? Last I checked the C70 has a 16 stop DGO sensor found in a $10k cinema camera. It also has 10 stop of ND vs 6 stop. 3 hour battery life with no need for a battery grip. Far superior mount in the RF. It also has a button for every single thing you could want. I would pay more just for the DGO sensor alone. Pocket 6k pro is an amazing deal. But, minus BRAW, C70 is better in almost every single way.

2 minutes ago, crevice said:

Do we not care anymore about the actual inside of cameras anymore?  But, minus BRAW, C70 is better in almost every single way.

Taking away a major internal feature from the P6K to make your argument doesn't really work, though. For my money, two P6K Pros are worth more than one C70. You may feel differently. Everyone has a different balance they need to reach.

11 minutes ago, crevice said:

Do we not care anymore about the actual inside of cameras anymore? Last I checked the C70 has a 16 stop DGO sensor found in a $10k cinema camera. It also has 10 stop of ND vs 6 stop. 3 hour battery life with no need for a battery grip. Far superior mount in the RF. It also has a button for every single thing you could want. I would pay more just for the DGO sensor alone. Pocket 6k pro is an amazing deal. But, minus BRAW, C70 is better in almost every single way.

It costs over 2x as much and lacks tons of cine features that the Pocket 6K Pro has. Writing off one of the biggest ones, and one that is most beneficial to actual productions (RAW) really doesn't help your case. But if the sensor is what's most important to you then by all means go that route. 

Just now, MurtlandPhoto said:

Taking away a major internal feature from the P6K to make your argument doesn't really work, though. For my money, two P6K Pros are worth more than one C70. You may feel differently. Everyone has a different balance they need to reach.

For sure. I understand BRAW is a killer and in some cases decision making feature. But DR is such an important feature for the "look" of the camera and I think that is something a lot of people don't discuss enough with the c70. Pocket 6k is great, but it is still using a Sony based sensor that has less DR. Regardless, you are right and for many people a pocket 6k makes more sense for the money. For me, I am a solo shooter on a gimbal who has invested in RF glass shared with my R5. So auto focus and RF are very important for me. But, I still think if you are ok paying more - the sensor, auto focus, and battery life without a need for a grip, could make it worth it. Also, though there is no raw, the CLOG 2 out of the C70 is mind blowing.

1 minute ago, newfoundmass said:

It costs over 2x as much and lacks tons of cine features that the Pocket 6K Pro has. Writing off one of the biggest ones, and one that is most beneficial to actual productions (RAW) really doesn't help your case. But if the sensor is what's most important to you then by all means go that route. 

It lacks a ton of cine features? It lacks BRAW. There is 1 feature. What else does it lack? It has dual xlr with phantom power, 10 stop ND, better internal battery, dual SD card recording, 4:2:2 10 bit, 4k 120, tracking auto focus, and dual gain 16 stop sensor.

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

Ugly duckling but useful features. Somehow they made the Pocket camera even bigger and bulkier. 

And you pay more 500 bucks than the 6K older sister for more 500g than the 4K oldest brother... so, I am not that enthusiastic about the younger 8K to come ;- )

9 minutes ago, crevice said:

But DR is such an important feature for the "look" of the camera and I think that is something a lot of people don't discuss enough with the c70. Pocket 6k is great, but it is still using a Sony based sensor that has less DR. 

More DR does not make an image look better, as there is so much more that goes into it. The entire Lumix line has more DR than all the BM line, yet Blackmagic looks better.

Even the first pocket camera with it's 10 stops beat out many cameras that came after it.

1 minute ago, Robert Patts said:

More DR does not make an image look better, as there is so much more that goes into it. The entire Lumix line has more DR than all the BM line, yet Blackmagic looks better.

Even the first pocket camera with it's 10 stops beat out many cameras that came after it.

Not going to argue that. But in this case, the C70 sensor is fantastic. The DGO sensor is proven and if you know anybody has used it in the C300, they will back that claim up. I am not going debate further as both cameras are fantastic. Pick one that works in your budget. For me the C70 works best. For others the Pocket 6k will. I am just happy we have so many damn cameras to choose, its insane.

24 minutes ago, crevice said:

It lacks a ton of cine features? It lacks BRAW. There is 1 feature. What else does it lack? It has dual xlr with phantom power, 10 stop ND, better internal battery, dual SD card recording, 4:2:2 10 bit, 4k 120, tracking auto focus, and dual gain 16 stop sensor.

It lacks the resolution and frame rate options, anamorphic modes, RAW, and codecs that the Pocket 6K Pro has. And it costs more than twice as much. These are major features that productions want in a camera. 

If you don't see why this is a far more superior value than the C70 I don't know what to say. 

11 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

It lacks the resolution and frame rate options, anamorphic modes, RAW, and codecs that the Pocket 6K Pro has. And it costs more than twice as much. These are major features that productions want in a camera. 

If you don't see why this is a far more superior value than the C70 I don't know what to say. 

They both have their place & uses. Personally I see the C70 has a more reliable, better built workhorse camera without RAW.

I think the more apt comparison would be between this and REDs “crash cam” Komodo. This makes a much better crash cam money wise and also has more useful features for 1/2 the price.