FYI: Final Cut Pro X trouble + solution

skiphunt

Hi,

Just wanted to share info from a very frustrating and unpleasant 7hrs trying to find out why my FCPX install went corrupt, etc. 

FCPX has been fairly stable and intuitive for me to use since I bought it in December. Yesterday, everything went haywire. It wouldn't save out or give me any options to save, none of the effects would show up and mostly the menus got swapped. The layout was all screwed up and noting would auto-save either. 

I spent several hours trying to figure out what was going on. Scouring different Apple and FCP forums for clues. I'd removed everything that had to do with FCPX, re-downloaded and re-installed. Still no dice. Thought it was my library was corrupt, but I completely unmounted the drive with my libraries and started fresh. Still problems. 

Found some cache files I'd not deleted, so I started all over again, i.e.. redownload, reinstall, etc. 

What I finally discovered was a couple of audio AU effects plugins and instruments I'd installed in the general audio/plugins/components for use in various audio apps... were causing the problem. The worked fine in 2 different audio programs and I'm reasonably sure they were 64bit. But, for some reason FCPX didn't like them at all. As soon as I got rid of them, all problems solved. 

Just figured I'd share the experience and discovery so someone else doesn't have to go through all the hassle.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes, FCP X does not like third party plugins, to put it mildly. One of the most useful, the stabilizer Log & Load, is an exception. With Neat, it depends on the Neat and FCP X version. Google for the experiences of others before you ruin a project.

Yes, FCP X does not like third party plugins, to put it mildly. One of the most useful, the stabilizer Log & Load, is an exception. With Neat, it depends on the Neat and FCP X version. Google for the experiences of others before you ruin a project.

Yeah I have the same experience. Lock and Load is fine. Neat is a nightmare (crashes, slowness, etc) - which is a shame because it's the most valuable plugin for me. I've talked to Vlad at Neat at length about these problems, but they haven't offered any solution unfortunately. He basically blamed it on FCPX.

Have you found a FCPX/Neat version combo that works OK Axel? I have FCP 10.1.1 and Neat v3.5 (Jan 2014). 

Also Re:Vision's RSMB is causing problems in FCPX.

It's very frustrating because the more I use FCPX the more I like it. I hope Apple are able to address this soon.

Have you found a FCPX/Neat version combo that works OK Axel? I have FCP 10.1.1 and Neat v3.5 (Jan 2014). 

I am trying to avoid noisy shots. If I have one, I load it to FCP 7, where I have a stable Neat.

It's very frustrating because the more I use FCPX the more I like it. I hope Apple are able to address this soon.

When cows fly. Even if FCP X doesn't crash, it gets very slow with just about every plugin you install. I have accepted that. FCP X is a very mighty footage organizer - outsiders just can't fathom how advanced it actually is in that respect. It also is the fastest editing tool - render benchmarks and GPU acceleration set aside, just from the way the edits are organized. It also offers a very intuitive and easy, yet limited, color correction. Everything else, to tell the truth, is in it's infancy.